L10.4.1 Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  L10.4.1 Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: L10.4.1 Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018  (Read 3108 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: February 27, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
« edited: February 27, 2018, 01:21:14 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

Implementing new gun control measures in the wake of increasing gun violence in both Lincoln and Atlasia at large
Lincoln Gun Control Act of 2018
Section 1: Prohibited Firearms
1. The following devices shall also be considered prohibited to operate, purchase, sell, or possess by private citizens:
-Suppressors
-Bump Stocks
2. The Following Firearms are prohibited to operate, purchase, sell or possess by private citizens:
-Any firearm that is equipped with a mechanism that, following the discharge of a cartridge, automatically operates to complete any part of the reloading cycle necessary to prepare for the discharge of the next cartridge with a magazine capable of holding 10 or more rounds of ammunition.
-Any other handgun that does not fit the above description with a magazine that can hold 10 or more rounds of ammunition.
-Any rifle with a magazine that can hold 5 or more rounds of ammunition.

3.Any individual that possess, uses, sells or purchases any of the above prohibited weapons or devices may face a fine not exceeding $100,000 and jail sentence not exceeding 3 years.

LOL. So basically, only old timey revolvers and some pump shotguns are allowed?

This bans all hunting rifles, including .22s. You know bolt action rifles can have magazines and that if it is hypothetically possible to have a magazine with 4 rounds it is hypothetically possible to have a magazine with a bajillion rounds. A springloaded box is a springloaded box. So yeah, any rifle or handgun that can accept an external magazine would now be illegal.

Like seriously, this hilarious bill bans like 90% of existing guns. You expect to impose jail time and a $100K fine on a quarter of the people of Lincoln? How progressive. A good thing the sponsor proposed an earlier bill to empty the jails, because looks like they are going to be overcrowded if this schit passes.

Also, do you realize how much hunting revenue you will lose? How high your deer population will climb? Winchester and springfield will be run out of your region. I guess since there will no longer be any guns its ok to promote hearing loss by banning suppressors.

Just note, if this passes I will be driving through Lincoln with my guns, so that I can sue.  Like, some of the other gun control bills proposed since I started playing Atlasia have been dumb and illegal, but this one takes the cake.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:39:07 PM »

Would medicaid eligible persons have their costs covered? Otherwise its effectively a regressive poll tax on a right.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »

So with the magazine limit of 10, does this mean the Lincoln Region will also be banning the Glock 17 handgun, and would this also apply to law enforcement?

Edit: Should also point out some flaws with magazine limits:
1. It only takes a few seconds to change out a magazine, hardly does anything to slow down a mass shooter. and many mass shooters don't rely on high capacity magazines to do the job, they rely on multiple firearms, or just carry more magazines to change out.
2. School shootings like the ones at Columbine and Virginia Tech didn't involve the use of high capacity magazines.
3. What happens to all the higher capacity magazines already in circulation?
4. Most homicides involving guns are done in less than 10 shots, so it doesn't stop the majority of gun deaths.

I really dont want to get into the habit of correcting poorly written gun control bills that should fail, but as a friendly heads up, the section on mags should be probably be reworded as well to reflect what I believe your intent is. You probably want:

"Magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds"

As written, "Magazines with more than 10 rounds of ammo" means that if I have an empty mag that can hold 30 rounds but I dont own any ammo, the magazine is fine.

Or vice versa, if I have a mag that can hold 7 rounds and I buy a box of 20 rounds, that 7 round mag is now prohibited.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »

So this programme will cost around $8.188 billion. Taking into account factors like non compliance, the license fee would need to be at-least $243.39 on average per gun to break even.

Regressive poor tax to exercise a right.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 06:56:59 AM »

What’s the argument against banning bump stocks?

If machine guns are legal subject to intense regulation, why not just also make bump fire stocks subject to the same regulations rather than straight up banning them.

Its like banning cocaine but keeping heroin illegal. The thing being banned is less scary than what is allowed.

(And before "ban those too", I think maybe 1 has been used in a crime in 80 yrs.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies