AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:19:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas  (Read 23465 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2018, 12:33:18 PM »

How do I turn off those annoying notifications about a new post has been made in a thread while you were posting? That is all too rampant during election day threads and any other big Atlas events.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;sa=theme

Check Don't warn on new replies made while posting.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »

More Batman
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »

Hello, Virginia, could you please put the View all unread posts to threads you participated in link on top of the alerts page, cause it takes me so long to scroll down to that link?  :*
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2018, 11:26:54 PM »

Hello, Virginia, could you please put the View all unread posts to threads you participated in link on top of the alerts page, cause it takes me so long to scroll down to that link?  :*

I thought I responded to your PM about that (or maybe a post somewhere). I said I would add it next time around, which won't be for, at the very least, 2-4 months. I want to get another big update in before the Fall election season starts. It's easy enough to do, but I've already split the project into v2, and I can't keep making updates to v1 at the same time, as it gets confusing and tedious to maintain parallel versions like that. Plus, Dave I think is not easily reachable again, so that's another issue.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2018, 01:16:36 AM »

I thought I responded to your PM about that (or maybe a post somewhere). I said I would add it next time around, which won't be for, at the very least, 2-4 months.

Not quite. You replied that when I asked you to widen the space of the poll fields.
But nevertheless, thank you for your response!
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2018, 02:44:51 AM »

It would also be a useful implement if we could sort poll result by the number of votes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2018, 09:05:25 PM »

It would also be a useful implement if we could sort poll result by the number of votes.

I will keep this in mind. I have an idea how to go about it, but I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to implement.

I have a lot of plans for the poll option in general, including everything from new options, partisan polls (optional obviously), a new design/look, and maybe even multiple polls per thread and "mini polls" that could be embedded in posts, like Twitter's thingy. Although that may be too difficult and/or resource intensive to work.

Anyway, thanks!
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »

How about we have a timer for locking/unlocking threads automatically?

For example, in Atlasia elections are held. Let's say an election administrator wants to open at 12:00 A.M., but wants this already done beforehand in case he or she forgets and lock it at 12:00 A.M. on another day.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2018, 02:54:13 AM »

I will keep this in mind. I have an idea how to go about it, but I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to implement.

I have a lot of plans for the poll option in general, including everything from new options, partisan polls (optional obviously), a new design/look, and maybe even multiple polls per thread and "mini polls" that could be embedded in posts, like Twitter's thingy. Although that may be too difficult and/or resource intensive to work.

These are all fantastic ideas.
But the main thing is that the calculation for multiple-choice polls gets fixed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »

But the main thing is that the calculation for multiple-choice polls gets fixed.

What exactly is wrong with it? I looked at the most recent Opinion of user poll and it showed the percentages correctly.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2018, 11:42:00 AM »

What exactly is wrong with it? I looked at the most recent Opinion of user poll and it showed the percentages correctly.

For example here; the percentages represent the number of votes, but they ought to represent the number of voters instead. Berkshire County, for instance, got a vote from 100% of the users, not from 7.3%.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2018, 01:09:08 AM »

Is it actually possible to install an auto-correction, in particular for the word deductible. Tongue
It seems to be the hardest word for the forum community to spell.
I mean it is obviously possible to transform coarse words.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »

Sooooo after doing some unrelated research on IPv6, it led me to look at SMF's own support for that, and I'm pretty sure that no matter what, Dave is going to have to update the forum to SMF 2.1 (their newest that is coming out in like 6-12 months) around 2020 or 2021. Like, there is no getting around it. Since IPv4 addresses have essentially run out, by 2020 or 2021, there will be a decent chunk of people who only have IPv6 addresses, and if the forum doesn't support it, they won't be able to view the site.

That does kind of suck for me too since SMF 2.1 has a lot of the features I spent countless hours coding for this forum (including tons of others, such as a Like system, mobile friendly, drafts, etc). I'd have to re-code a lot of what it doesn't have to work with SMF 2.1 as well.

I think with that in mind, after I finish AtlasMod 2.0, I'm going to ask Dave if I can start working on a new theme for the latest version, and prepare everything for 2020-2021.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:46 PM »

I prefer the alternatehistory.com style website to the looks of this forum.  The early 2000's are calling and they want their website back.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »

I prefer the alternatehistory.com style website to the looks of this forum.  The early 2000's are calling and they want their website back.

The retro style is much nicer.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2018, 02:55:03 PM »

That option to show your MSN address on your profile just brings back warm memories of 2005.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »

I personally would not be opposed to threadmarks, you know, so when you make timelines, like on alternatehistory.com
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »

Please, Virginia, I beg of you, install a preview option for polls at the next update. It's so bugging and annoying to delete a whole poll-added topic and start afresh, especially if it's a poll with umpteen options. 😰
And it has happened to me several times. 😡
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2018, 02:03:42 AM »

Make it so that the forum doesn't crash on big election days? Tongue I know this is likely server related, but I figured it's worth getting out there. Smiley
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2018, 02:06:21 AM »

As I suggested on the "The Atlas" board, change the code for 8] to something other than 8 ]. Maybe use a curly brace instead?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »

Make it so that the forum doesn't crash on big election days? Tongue I know this is likely server related, but I figured it's worth getting out there. Smiley

I actually already created a feature for that for the next update. I made it so create a list of dates that would be designated as election days, and the forum would operate in a sort of reduced functionality mode, where certain features that suck up large amounts of processing power would be disabled temporarily.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »

I actually already created a feature for that for the next update. I made it so create a list of dates that would be designated as election days, and the forum would operate in a sort of reduced functionality mode, where certain features that suck up large amounts of processing power would be disabled temporarily.

Shocked Fingers crossed!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2018, 10:47:18 PM by Virginia »

Features that are temporarily disabled in some way are configurable, but they are limited to resource-heavy operations such as determining what topics you have unread posts in, or what the last post you read in a certain topic is, or whether you've participated in a certain topic. These are all things that you may not even really notice. For instance, when you click on a thread that has the new thing next to the subject on a board listing, it brings you to the last post you read instead of the end of the thread. This takes a lot of resources to determine sometimes because the database table that has it can contain millions of records on a forum this big.

Other ones I added are the Recent Posts page, which is arguably the single most resource-intense feature on the forum, due to all the information it has to collect in one page view.

Edit: Also, the Search function, which can lag the server during high-activity times. But that's already not working anymore..
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Votes:

1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Yes
4: Yes
5: Yes
8: Yes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies