AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:09:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas  (Read 23435 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Votes:

1: Yes
2: Yes
3: Yes
4: Yes
5: Yes
8: Yes
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »

My only ask is if you could see and organize forum members by activity in the "Members List" tab.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »

Features that are temporarily disabled in some way are configurable, but they are limited to resource-heavy operations such as determining what topics you have unread posts in, or what the last post you read in a certain topic is, or whether you've participated in a certain topic. These are all things that you may not even really notice. For instance, when you click on a thread that has the new thing next to the subject on a board listing, it brings you to the last post you read instead of the end of the thread. This takes a lot of resources to determine sometimes because the database table that has it can contain millions of records on a forum this big.

Other ones I added are the Recent Posts page, which is arguably the single most resource-intense feature on the forum, due to all the information it has to collect in one page view.

Edit: Also, the Search function, which can lag the server during high-activity times. But that's already not working anymore..

I could also see the utility of this on days with a major national or international event. Does such a feature need to be scheduled or can it be triggered by a defined level of activity?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »

I could also see the utility of this on days with a major national or international event. Does such a feature need to be scheduled or can it be triggered by a defined level of activity?

SMF 2.0+ has a load balancing feature that operates by CPU load (or something else), but unfortunately I don't have such a thing for this. I suppose I could do it, and I thought about it before, but I don't know what that sweet spot for CPU usage % is where turning off certain functions would be useful. I'd have to play around with it while on a high-activity night, and I can't do that. The best way, given our circumstances as proverbial digital latchkey kids in the House of Leip is to just provide a list of dates months ahead of time where the feature auto-activates/deactivates on its own. Although I did include a permission setting for the feature, so Dave could give us control of the ENM feature if he wanted.

But as I posted some time ago, the years-long shift from IPv4 to IPv6 will force Dave to upgrade to SMF 2.1 probably sometime in the year 2020, at the latest. Then perhaps the ENM feature could be mingled with the load balancing thing.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2018, 12:18:14 AM »

Free hot dogs?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »

What about a face palm emoticon like these: 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♀️?
Is there a SMF repertoire you can choose from, or can you even draw your own, individual emoticons?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2018, 02:14:57 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
5. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2018, 04:29:53 AM »

I think a save drafts (preferably automatic) feature would be the most crucial thing right now. I can't count the amount of times I lost a huge timeline post because of bad internet or a clicking mistake.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2018, 11:31:23 AM »

Why don't we have any Icelandic avatars?  Embarrassed
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2018, 06:14:18 PM »

Could you possibly make it so that you can add code to your signature without it going against your character limit? It doesn't appear in the final version so I don't see why it would need to be limited.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »

Could you possibly make it so that you can add code to your signature without it going against your character limit? It doesn't appear in the final version so I don't see why it would need to be limited.

Seconded.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2018, 08:59:30 PM »

Why don't we have any Icelandic avatars?  Embarrassed

Missing far more than just Iceland Tongue. A couple users made some extra avatars and I sent them to Dave as part of the last update, but for whatever reason, he never uploaded them. And that is after I reminded him several times, so as far as I am concerned, there is probably no point in pursuing this further.

The easiest solution for this would probably be to increase the number of characters allowed in signatures. Without getting to into the technical stuff, ignoring bbcode in terms of character count would not by any means be straight forward, since not all bbcode is predictable. Some, like [b][/b] is, but stuff like quote tags, images and urls aren't.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2018, 06:36:57 PM »

Make the website more Emo
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2018, 10:47:42 PM »

Stop trying so hard. This is the 2nd nonsense post you've made in this thread and it's not particularly funny.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »

Make it so stuff like this can't happen anymore.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »

Make it so posters can report or move their own posts, especially if they've posted something on the wrong board.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2018, 10:57:53 PM »

I'm sorry, but like what?

I'm being serious, I don't know. The page doesn't load
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »

I'm sorry, but like what?

I'm being serious, I don't know. The page doesn't load
It was just a link to a long, stretched out post.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »

Sometimes when trying to respond and quote, it's easy to accidentally insert text into the middle of the quote rather than after the end.  I've done this and have seen many other people do it.  I think this is because the Quote feature doesn't necessarily open the input window with the cursor at the end of the previous text.  A couple of possible suggestions:

1. Ensure that the input window is positioned after all quoted text when it's opened.

2. A sanity checker when hitting Post on a Quote that warns the user if the only new text entered is inside quote tags.  This could also check to make sure all the quote tags are balanced.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »

Eliminate 20-second requirement for sending out pms.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »

Odd request: a Trash board. At present, when a moderator removes stuff it tends to just go in the memory hole, which I think is an error, because a) occasionally mods goof and delete too much and  b) it's useful to have a record and precedent of what actually counts as trolling or not (which would also be useful when it comes to seeing how many times problematic users have crossed the line, and whether they need to be banned).

Another problem that needs to be fixed: an OP should not have the ability to delete an entire thread. It's happened several times in IE that very long-running threads have been deleted mistakenly (or once, in a pique of drunken rage) by their OP, with everybody else's posts obliterated alongside them.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »

Odd request: a Trash board. At present, when a moderator removes stuff it tends to just go in the memory hole, which I think is an error, because a) occasionally mods goof and delete too much and  b) it's useful to have a record and precedent of what actually counts as trolling or not (which would also be useful when it comes to seeing how many times problematic users have crossed the line, and whether they need to be banned).

Another problem that needs to be fixed: an OP should not have the ability to delete an entire thread. It's happened several times in IE that very long-running threads have been deleted mistakenly (or once, in a pique of drunken rage) by their OP, with everybody else's posts obliterated alongside them.

I think the default setting for SMF installs is to *not* enable the recycle board. Not sure if Dave already considered this or not though.

One of the first things I did for 2.0 is an admin setting where users can be prevented from deleting a thread over x posts - so that way election threads and other big things wouldn't be lost (although a moderator could delete it). My default setting was to have a 4 - 5 page threshold, meaning people could threads under 4 or 5 pages, but not over. I think that would put this issue to rest, and it wouldn't prevent people from scrubbing their posting history either, since they can still delete or modify their individual posts. Personally, I think it was a mistake for SMF to not have a setting for this included. It doesn't make sense to give individual users that much control over forum content - esp in situations where one user may have created a lot of big threads that they didn't even participate in, but end up deleting someday when/if they decide to scrub their account.

What page count threshold do you think is acceptable?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »

Virginia, is there still some room left in the top bar?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »

What top bar? The menu bar with the buttons (like profile/alerts/etc)? If so, I don't think so w/o widening it. However there are one or two buttons which no longer serve any useful purpose, such as the 'map' button (feature is broken and not used anyway).
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »

What top bar? The menu bar with the buttons (like profile/alerts/etc)? If so, I don't think so w/o widening it. However there are one or two buttons which no longer serve any useful purpose, such as the 'map' button (feature is broken and not used anyway).

Yes, I mean the menu bar. I wish there was a button that leads us directly to the posts of ours.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies