AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:17:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AtlasMod 2.0: Suggest ideas  (Read 23503 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 27, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »

Features that are temporarily disabled in some way are configurable, but they are limited to resource-heavy operations such as determining what topics you have unread posts in, or what the last post you read in a certain topic is, or whether you've participated in a certain topic. These are all things that you may not even really notice. For instance, when you click on a thread that has the new thing next to the subject on a board listing, it brings you to the last post you read instead of the end of the thread. This takes a lot of resources to determine sometimes because the database table that has it can contain millions of records on a forum this big.

Other ones I added are the Recent Posts page, which is arguably the single most resource-intense feature on the forum, due to all the information it has to collect in one page view.

Edit: Also, the Search function, which can lag the server during high-activity times. But that's already not working anymore..

I could also see the utility of this on days with a major national or international event. Does such a feature need to be scheduled or can it be triggered by a defined level of activity?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »

I have no idea if this is at all feasible, but one thing I would really love would be if, on any board where there are stickied topics, there was some kind of thick line that separated the sticky topics from the non-sticky topics.  This is an issue on boards with many sticky topics, like the 2020 board or Forum Community (well, less so on FC now than some months ago).  I want to do a quick visual scan of what the most recently commented on topics are, but that is more complicated than necessary when there are a ton of stickied topics in the way.  If you had some kind of marker, my eye could just start scanning at that marker.

Thanks for putting forward that proposal. I've wanted to suggest this for a long time, but always forgot it.

Another major flaw in the forum software is the lack of utility of the pagination. You cannot jump from one page to the intended one if the difference between the numbers is too big.

That would be useful. I often know the date of a thread/post, but not a narrow enough search field. I have to hop through a board 5 pages at a time to get to the desired date range.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies