Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2019, 06:55:57 pm
News: 2019 Gubernatorial Predictions are now active

Atlas Forum
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  Moderating Policies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Moderating Policies  (Read 25797 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
« edited: April 01, 2018, 11:19:05 pm by muon2 »

Modadmin's note: I see a need for people to post concerns about moderating policy and in the last month two threads have been filling that need. They are merged here. I will actively monitor this thread and prune messages that veer off topic, especially lengthy arguments between posters. If there is a useful exchange I may choose to split it out as its own topic.

thread about BPA locked by texasGirl because Mortimer admitted he wanted to present something that not everyone would agree with:
Quote from: Virginia on March 04, 2018, 05:15:49 pm
Do you ever like to talk about things that aren't controversial?

In real life? All the time. On a politics message board? No. What would be the point of that? Do you expect this entire site to just be people quoting each other's paragraphs about how Trump is racist? What exactly do you get out of that? Is this like a replacement for religious services for you? Is that why you guys get so mad? I'm basically being sacrilegious, coming into your house of worship, and telling you your God isn't real?

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=286346.0
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 4.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 01:52:30 pm »

It has always been a safe space.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 01:57:32 pm »

yeah, that's a lame locking.
Lean Branson
Doctor Imperialism
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:59:19 pm »

The controversy that Mortimer is whining about wasn't about whether plastic affected frog hormones, it was about him believing that the allegations against Alex Jones and Roy Moore were manufactured by muh "powers-that-be". I don't understand why he's still not banned. At least he's not allowed to smear his conspiratorial sh**t on everything he touches.
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:13 am »

I think it's more about who did the posting and for what reason. That's the call of the board moderator if a thread looks like it will get out of hand. However, the underlying issue is one of legitimate debate and I posted on the thread to add some links to stories outlining the controversy.
Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:18:56 pm »

Get these women under control muon.

Damn, I didn't realize posting to a thread made me out of control.
Both Sides™
Kalwejt
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »

Get these women under control muon.

Damn, I didn't realize posting to a thread made me out of control.

For some people you simply being here makes you "out of control".
Siren
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 02:57:58 pm »

I think it's more about who did the posting and for what reason. That's the call of the board moderator if a thread looks like it will get out of hand. However, the underlying issue is one of legitimate debate and I posted on the thread to add some links to stories outlining the controversy.

Fascinating links! You should check out The Bell Curve by Herrnstein and Murray. I'm sure you'll love it.
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:43:07 pm »

Fascinating links! You should check out The Bell Curve by Herrnstein and Murray. I'm sure you'll love it.

Not really. I read it over 20 years ago and I felt they were too wedded to IQ as the best measure of intelligence throughout the population.

Are you suggesting that there aren't any chemicals in our environment capable of acting as endocrine disrupters, and that research studies along those lines are unneeded?
Meclazine
YaBB God
Australia
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19:45 am »

I thought it irrelavent.

Plastics in the UK posted in the U.S. General Discussion.

It also had an overtone of anti-transgender about it. It would have started a fight.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:17:27 pm »

If the people who denounced and tried to censor the Bell Curve had tried to seriously grapple with it instead, maybe Trump wouldn't be President right now.

(And before anyone assumes I'm speaking of anything to do with race, please crack open the book)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 02:23:52 pm »

If the people who denounced and tried to censor the Bell Curve had tried to seriously grapple with it instead, maybe Trump wouldn't be President right now.

(And before anyone assumes I'm speaking of anything to do with race, please crack open the book)
Jesus, of course you would think the bell curve theory has weight to it.
❤️❤️❤️
omegascarlet
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 02:25:37 pm »

Hormones don't change mental gender, at least not outside the womb. Part of gender dysphoria(not all of it) is caused by the brain operating on the wrong hormones and results of that. The thread was clearly meant as an attempt to shill particularly nasty transphobic views.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 02:50:35 pm »

"We're going to put a lot of coal miners out of business, right Tim?"
Lean Branson
Doctor Imperialism
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 03:58:17 pm »

The Bell Curve is to sociology what Guns, Germs, and Steel is to anthropology. It's pop science sold at airport bookstores so that people like shua can feel smart at cocktail parties.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 04:12:03 pm »

The Bell Curve is to sociology what Guns, Germs, and Steel is to anthropology. It's pop science sold at airport bookstores so that people like shua can feel smart at cocktail parties.

lol yes all those cocktail parties I go to as a downwardly mobile teatotaling introvert.
Lean Branson
Doctor Imperialism
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »

lol yes all those cocktail parties I go to as a downwardly mobile teatotaling introvert.

Somehow, I am completely unsurprised
fluffypanther19
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:53:54 pm »

It has always been a safe space.

yeah, that's a lame locking.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 08:39:01 pm »
« Edited: March 07, 2018, 08:47:52 pm by shua »

You are unsurprised that the thing you assumed about me is the opposite of the truth.

This is some hilarious stuff!  Keep it coming!

Here is a post where I give some of my thoughts on the subject of The Bell Curve, btw, just to make it easier for you to start a thread calling for my banning:
It wouldn't make much difference; I'd still be largely against group-based preferences but in favor of efforts to recruit from underrepresented communities. Group differences in IQ are in terms of distributional averages, so it would tell you nothing about a particular individual.  It would just be even more reason to try to aim for an economy where people can have a decent living without necessarily having the kind of the skills that are associated with high IQ.
Lean Branson
Doctor Imperialism
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »

You are unsurprised that the thing you assumed about me is the opposite of the truth.

This is some hilarious stuff!  Keep it coming!

If it makes you feel better, you can replace "cocktail parties" with "meaningless arguments on obscure election forums". It's pretty irrelevant to what I was saying, which is that The Bell Curve is a useless book.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 09:10:25 pm »

Sure, I'll pretend you said something different than what you said, since it would still be wrong anyway. No problemo.
Lean Branson
Doctor Imperialism
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 12:20:35 am »

Sure, I'll pretend you said something different than what you said, since it would still be wrong anyway. No problemo.

Again, I don't care whether or not you actually go to cocktail parties. And again, my point  (which you've ignored in favor of pretending that I care about what kind of parties you do or don't go to) is that The Bell Curve is useless pop sociology for useless, vapid people who want to believe that they're ubermenschen.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 12:28:54 am »

Again, I don't care whether or not you actually go to cocktail parties. And again, my point  (which you've ignored in favor of pretending that I care about what kind of parties you do or don't go to) is that The Bell Curve is useless pop sociology for useless, vapid people who want to believe that they're ubermenschen.

So to recap: your point is that people who think The Bell Curve is worth anything are a certain type of people. But it doesn't matter that I'm not the sort of person you said I was. Somehow you are still correct because reasons.
Lean Branson
Doctor Imperialism
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 12:31:36 am »

So to recap: your point is that people who think The Bell Curve is worth anything are a certain type of people. But it doesn't matter that I'm not the sort of person you said I was. Somehow you are still correct because reasons.

No, you've made it clear that you're a useless, vapid person.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 12:32:35 am »

No, you've made it clear that you're a useless, vapid person.

cite?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies