Denver considering decriminalizing 'shrooms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:25:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Denver considering decriminalizing 'shrooms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Denver considering decriminalizing 'shrooms  (Read 1994 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »

Why are Americans, unique among the world, so dependent on mood altering substances to function? I do not mean just alcohol (the only people who outdrink Americans are Brits)

[citation needed]
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

cite
1.Belarus
4.Russia
14.Poland
16.Finland
17.S.Korea
18.France
25.UK
40.Canada
48.US
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »

cite
1.Belarus
4.Russia
14.Poland
16.Finland
17.S.Korea
18.France
25.UK
40.Canada
48.US

The only actually oversight of mine is South Korea. Otherwise, on lists like this I never compare Americans to eastern Europeans and Russians on measures of social dysfunction. Seems superfluous to.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »

I didn't know Portugal, France, Australia, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Belgium, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria, Canada, and the Netherlands were in Eastern Europe. Sounds more like most of Europe and the entire Anglosphere to me...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »

cite
1.Belarus
4.Russia
14.Poland
16.Finland
17.S.Korea
18.France
25.UK
40.Canada
48.US

The only actually oversight of mine is South Korea. Otherwise, on lists like this I never compare Americans to eastern Europeans and Russians on measures of social dysfunction. Seems superfluous to.
France and Canada?.......and ones I didn't list...Portugal, Germany, Ireland (obviously), Denmark, Spain, South Africa, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Netherlands, Chile and Argentina are all higher drinkers than the US (plus many others still).

American's are NOT big drinkers when compared to the rest of the world.  I'm dubious of the "we're the most drugged place" too, but there just aren't any good numbers for that for obvious reasons.  We certainly like our recreational drugs, but I don't think we're any different from a lot of places on that point.  I'd be happy to see proof otherwise though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »

I didn't know Portugal, France, Australia, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Belgium, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria, Canada, and the Netherlands were in Eastern Europe. Sounds more like most of Europe and the entire Anglosphere to me...
maybe his point was that we drink more than places that drink less than us?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2018, 02:35:21 PM by Storebought »

cite
1.Belarus
4.Russia
14.Poland
16.Finland
17.S.Korea
18.France
25.UK
40.Canada
48.US

France and Canada?.......and ones I didn't list...Portugal, Germany, Ireland (obviously), Denmark, Spain, South Africa, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria, Greece, Netherlands, Chile and Argentina are all higher drinkers than the US (plus many others still).

American's are NOT big drinkers when compared to the rest of the world.  I'm dubious of the "we're the most drugged place" too, but there just aren't any good numbers for that for obvious reasons. We certainly like our recreational drugs, but I don't think we're any different from a lot of places on that point.  I'd be happy to see proof otherwise though.

What do you mean? Wiki has compiled a good number of consumption rates of illicit substances. For cannabis consumption, the US is in the top ten, behind Israel and Iceland for developed countries. The US ranks fourth for cocaine consumption.  For heroin derivatives, the US ranks third. For cannabis and "hard" drugs the US is consistently one of the top most users.

I didn't think I had to spell out the fact that we consume so many drugs, opiates, that overdoses have truncated our life expectancy twice in a row. We have a drug problem.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

maybe his point was that we drink more than places that drink less than us?

Oh well, you got me on alcohol consumption. That makes my entire argument false. Or doesn't.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 02:27:10 PM »

I fully endorse this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »

If people want this for medicinal purposes (which I do believe there are), it probably should be under professional supervision imo. Obviously it's plenty possible to do it solo or with friends, but the more people do it, the more dumb people who will make dumb decisions or take too much and freak out, and that won't look very good. On the plus side, it's not a substance people get addicted to.

All in all, freedom move :*
Last night "someone I know" took some psilocydin in a pill for. The said person had a very fun time and was in control of himself completely at about three grams. The comeup was strong, followed by a prolonged lull, followed by a pretty decent peak and subsequent come-down. Legalizing the substance at ~4 grams or so should prevent people from taking too much.

Of course, an inexperienced user taking ~4 grams would probably still lose their mind for six to eight hours. So who knows, maybe my point is moot?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »

Last night "someone I know" took some psilocydin in a pill for. The said person had a very fun time and was in control of himself completely at about three grams. The comeup was strong, followed by a prolonged lull, followed by a pretty decent peak and subsequent come-down. Legalizing the substance at ~4 grams or so should prevent people from taking too much.

Of course, an inexperienced user taking ~4 grams would probably still lose their mind for six to eight hours. So who knows, maybe my point is moot?

I get that a decrim law would realistically have to have a maximum quantity, if for no other reason to get skeptical lawmakers on board, but it seems so pointless from where I sit. I can go to any number of fields 6-7 minutes from where I live and bring back a whole bag full more or less, depending on what season it is. It's not possible for the government to control this, and they should stop trying. It's not even remotely like heroin or cocaine. It's not addictive, most people won't try it at all and those that do maybe only once or twice. Like, yeah, it can technically screw you up if you take way too much, but so can any number of cleaning solutions on the shelf at the grocery store Tongue
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 06:55:17 PM »

Absolutely endorsed. I would love to see more research on psychedelic therapy, and this would make it much easier for that kind of study to occur.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »

I had a truly bizarre and tragic experience with magic mushrooms last May. This may go on long but I really feel the need to share it. I wasn't even the one who took them. My 19 year-old sister did.

Her and her friends were outside and took some shrooms to spark their creativity since they wanted to paint pictures. My sister ended up coming inside the house shortly after and projectile vomited before she could make it to the bathroom. That's when I came running in and realized what her and her friends were doing. Along with me came my pet pig, Brandy, who was previously watching television with me in the living room. So now I had to clean up like a 10 foot trail of vomit which Brandy ended up eating because my sister was tripping balls. It was truly miserable having to clean all that. I was mildly concerned about Brandy eating regurgitated mushrooms but I didn't think it would be much of a problem. You hallucinate, you get over it. That's that. I shooed her away though after cleaning her face and hooves, but she already ate quite a lot of the vomit before I could clean it all. That's what pigs do (hence the name), they will eat anything. After some berating from me, my sister apologized for making me clean up her mess when she came down from her trip. She assured me that Brandy would be fine too. After awhile Brandy was spinning around in circles and making strange noises. The poor thing was tripping too. I didn't think much of it though. I thought she'd get over it after a few hours and a good night's sleep.

Later that night I woke up at 6:00 am to my mom downstairs crying over the corpse of my precious piglet. It was the most upset that I had been since Trump won the election. Brandy was bleeding from her mouth and nose and the only thing I could think of that could have killed her was the shrooms she ate in my sister's barf. Were they laced with something? Is that possible? I have never heard of shrooms killing anything or anyone. My sister felt much guilt from the whole ordeal, but not as much as me. And what if they somehow killed her too? I can never forgive her for her negligence, but then again I should have been more proactive in considering that something was wrong with Brandy. Needless to say, shrooms have kind of bothered me since. I'm still not over it. I feel almost embarrassed to admit to such grief over an animal but I'm a real sucker for cute animals and she was a very loyal and lovable companion to me for those nine or ten months we had her.

So my point from sharing this is this. If they become legal, I have no real problem with it, in spite of the despair that they may have inadvertently caused me. Just please, like with anything, be careful and don't let animals or children take them. I know, it's kind of an obvious observation but it was kind of therapeutic for me to share this story. So yeah, have fun with your hallucinogens Colorado, may they bring you many tax dollars, but I don't want them anywhere near me.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 12:44:57 AM »

I had a truly bizarre and tragic experience with magic mushrooms last May. This may go on long but I really feel the need to share it. I wasn't even the one who took them. My 19 year-old sister did.

Her and her friends were outside and took some shrooms to spark their creativity since they wanted to paint pictures. My sister ended up coming inside the house shortly after and projectile vomited before she could make it to the bathroom. That's when I came running in and realized what her and her friends were doing. Along with me came my pet pig, Brandy, who was previously watching television with me in the living room. So now I had to clean up like a 10 foot trail of vomit which Brandy ended up eating because my sister was tripping balls. It was truly miserable having to clean all that. I was mildly concerned about Brandy eating regurgitated mushrooms but I didn't think it would be much of a problem. You hallucinate, you get over it. That's that. I shooed her away though after cleaning her face and hooves, but she already ate quite a lot of the vomit before I could clean it all. That's what pigs do (hence the name), they will eat anything. After some berating from me, my sister apologized for making me clean up her mess when she came down from her trip. She assured me that Brandy would be fine too. After awhile Brandy was spinning around in circles and making strange noises. The poor thing was tripping too. I didn't think much of it though. I thought she'd get over it after a few hours and a good night's sleep.

Later that night I woke up at 6:00 am to my mom downstairs crying over the corpse of my precious piglet. It was the most upset that I had been since Trump won the election. Brandy was bleeding from her mouth and nose and the only thing I could think of that could have killed her was the shrooms she ate in my sister's barf. Were they laced with something? Is that possible? I have never heard of shrooms killing anything or anyone. My sister felt much guilt from the whole ordeal, but not as much as me. And what if they somehow killed her too? I can never forgive her for her negligence, but then again I should have been more proactive in considering that something was wrong with Brandy. Needless to say, shrooms have kind of bothered me since. I'm still not over it. I feel almost embarrassed to admit to such grief over an animal but I'm a real sucker for cute animals and she was a very loyal and lovable companion to me for those nine or ten months we had her.

So my point from sharing this is this. If they become legal, I have no real problem with it, in spite of the despair that they may have inadvertently caused me. Just please, like with anything, be careful and don't let animals or children take them. I know, it's kind of an obvious observation but it was kind of therapeutic for me to share this story. So yeah, have fun with your hallucinogens Colorado, may they bring you many tax dollars, but I don't want them anywhere near me.
I've heard many scarecrow stories about psychedelics but this has to be one of the most unique of all of them. I think it's a little bit unfair that you blame your sister for causing the death of a pet when she had no actual way of knowing that the substance could be lethal to the pig. I mean, it isn't like she left a bag of crystal meth or some sort of obviously toxic substance out for it to eat. The poor girl's only sin is not making it into the bathroom in time.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 04:20:55 AM »

Hmm.

I’m ambivalent. Not all mushrooms are safe. A lot of idiots get very sick or die if they don’t know what they’re ingesting.

to me this is a good argument for limited legalisation - better you buy from a reputed seller than some junkie with a field guide for fungus ambling through the woods and picking what looks sort of right.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 10:24:56 AM »

Wow, that's terrible! So sorry for you.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »

Wow, that's terrible! So sorry for you.

It's always tough to lose a pet who is a member of the family.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 06:06:55 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2018, 07:18:56 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Later that night I woke up at 6:00 am to my mom downstairs crying over the corpse of my precious piglet. It was the most upset that I had been since Drumpf won the election. Brandy was bleeding from her mouth and nose and the only thing I could think of that could have killed her was the shrooms she ate in my sister's barf. Were they laced with something? Is that possible? I have never heard of shrooms killing anything or anyone. My sister felt much guilt from the whole ordeal, but not as much as me. And what if they somehow killed her too? I can never forgive her for her negligence, but then again I should have been more proactive in considering that something was wrong with Brandy. Needless to say, shrooms have kind of bothered me since. I'm still not over it. I feel almost embarrassed to admit to such grief over an animal but I'm a real sucker for cute animals and she was a very loyal and lovable companion to me for those nine or ten months we had her.

I've heard many scarecrow stories about psychedelics but this has to be one of the most unique of all of them. I think it's a little bit unfair that you blame your sister for causing the death of a pet when she had no actual way of knowing that the substance could be lethal to the pig. I mean, it isn't like she left a bag of crystal meth or some sort of obviously toxic substance out for it to eat. The poor girl's only sin is not making it into the bathroom in time.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I did forgive her later on and we've gotten along just fine since. And I definitely blame myself for some part of it. I may not have made that clear. I was very emotionally distraught at the time. I'll never forget this though.
As for when I referred to her as "negligent" it's because she bought Brandy on impulse at an exotic pet store and I was the one who ended up having to take care of her. My sister got bored of her pretty quickly and didn't feed her, bathe her, paper train her or anything and she moved on from brandy's death much more easily than I did. Maybe I'm jealous that she has been able to move on while I cling to remorse.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »

(*The large majority of) psychedelics and (*the large majority of) entactogens are not dangerous drugs and most casualties or serious issues coming from their use are from their being cut with other substances or maliciously mislabeled in a different fashion. Legalization and regulation of these substances will serve only to save lives.

I'm ambivalent about the "legalize all drugs" approach (sure, we'll crush the cartels, but there are some substances truly dangerous enough, like strong opioids or dextromethamphetamine, that it may make sense for them to be illegal outright and not overtly available anywhere), but there's absolutely no reason for magic mushrooms, LSD, or ecstasy to be illegal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 11:16:42 PM »

Though I suppose decriminalization is still a good idea, shrooms are not innocent. They were banned in the Netherlands ten years ago because tourists would continue to jump out of their hotel windows in Amsterdam and die. I don't think we've had these problems afterwards.

Honestly? It's because for us in the working class our lives kinda suck so we need these things to make them worth living.

If we were a nice Social-Democracy maybe things would be different, but nope.
Scandinavia also has an alcoholism problem.

it happens but a lot of the data seems to point to pretty low risk

Less than marijuana? This is surprising. I didn't expect shrooms to be up near the top of the list with The Usual Suspects, but I didn't expect it to be at the bottom either.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies