Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare  (Read 4044 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30:07 AM »

Not surprising. The whole point of (most of) the modern left is to fight "racism". I've argued we are entering a new era of politics where it will be culture not economics, which decide elections, and we are engulfed in an intense culture war.

And why do you see yourself on the (presumably) anti-left side of that "war"?

I think the main issue WILL be culture. We are already seeing that as economic lines (in terms of party voting) are pretty mixed. For example, it used to be Democrat=working class and Republican=wealthy. Now, both parties are pretty much the same in terms of wealth. Hell, if you subtract African-Americans, Republicans are by average LESS wealthy than the Democrats. I mean, I don't see how the Republicans will survive as a national party if we don't accommodate our new base (which, is heavily White and working-class) without making major changes in our parties' economic viewpoints. That being said, it seems the driving issues of the day center around Trump and wether he was right or wrong for insulting some group. Immigration, guns, diversity, free speech, etc carry much more weight in terms of discussion then tax cuts or privatization (lol) do. And, all of this is centered around a new America vs Old America dynamic (you see this on college campuses everywhere).

I would post links expanding more on this, but for some reason I can't.

None of that has anything to do with the question I asked you.
TheLaRocca
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »

Not surprising. The whole point of (most of) the modern left is to fight "racism". I've argued we are entering a new era of politics where it will be culture not economics, which decide elections, and we are engulfed in an intense culture war.

I think the main issue WILL be culture. We are already seeing that as economic lines (in terms of party voting) are pretty mixed. For example, it used to be Democrat=working class and Republican=wealthy. Now, both parties are pretty much the same in terms of wealth. Hell, if you subtract African-Americans, Republicans are by average LESS wealthy than the Democrats. I mean, I don't see how the Republicans will survive as a national party if we don't accommodate our new base (which, is heavily White and working-class) without making major changes in our parties' economic viewpoints. That being said, it seems the driving issues of the day center around Trump and wether he was right or wrong for insulting some group. Immigration, guns, diversity, free speech, etc carry much more weight in terms of discussion then tax cuts or privatization (lol) do. And, all of this is centered around a new America vs Old America dynamic (you see this on college campuses everywhere).

On the right. I think the left's positions on immigration (ESPECIALLY islamic), free speech (censor opposition), and "white privilege" all to be dangerous (naming a few issues). So, that makes me on the right-wing (though, I'm certainly mixed with many issues).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 12:35:53 AM »

On the right. I think the left's positions on immigration (ESPECIALLY islamic), free speech (censor opposition), and "white privilege" all to be dangerous (naming a few issues). So, that makes me on the right-wing (though, I'm certainly mixed with many issues).

Thanks. I also think the left's positions on free speech and white privilege can be too harsh at times.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 12:52:58 AM »

Civil rights/racial discrimination will be a significant issue, but not big to determine the election.

It's not the 1960s anymore, and some far-left millennials need to understand that.

Social engineering doesn't work anymore.

There needs to be a balance.

1. By definition, millennials don't remember the 1960's, most of their parents were born during the 60's and don't remember it much either.

2. It's most millennials, not the far-left ones.
TheLaRocca
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 01:25:57 AM »

Thanks. I also think the left's positions on free speech and white privilege can be too harsh at times.

I also think that it's no surprise that the main issue Millennials (most anti-Trump voting group) take is that of race, as the main issue associated with Trump IS race (intersects largely with culture, in my view) and issues which surround it.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »

Honestly, I can't wait until colleges are controlled by the much more conservative Gen Z.

(Citation needed)

A generation that is even more diverse than millenials will not be much more conservative until the GOP stops being dicks to miniorities. They need to get more than 10% of blacks, 30% of hispanics, and 30% of asians.

As someone who lives in rural white Georgia and is close to the cutoff for gen z, gen Z seems much more liberal to me than their parents. Wink
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 11:00:44 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 11:20:18 AM by JFK »

What does this dog whistle even mean?

Root out discrimination anywhere, especially with home mortgages, but stop the corporate shakedowns. You don't have to hire people because of skin color, it should be because of work ethic, with any race.

It's not a dog whistle. Social engineering doesn't really work.

We are all equal.

Don't be obtuse. Social engineering is what the US was founded on, and has practiced for decades. The idea that minorities are inferior is social engineering - ensuring that corporations and universities account for that is not. Pretending it's the other way around is willful ignorance.

We are all equal in the way how we can have opportunities, but it is the way how people conduct themselves is how they become successful.

Mass incarceration is a big problem, those wrongly put in jail should be freed, but murderers and rapists should be punished forever.

Education is a big issue as well. If inner city students don't feel the need to learn (some of them), same goes with rural white children, who will hold their hands to do it?
No, we are absolutely not equal in the opportunities afforded to white and black people. Those graphs disproved your point before you made it.

For instance, white people and black people use illegal drugs at about the same rate (9.5% of whites, 10.5% of black people, which means that there are waaaaaay more white people using drugs than black people), yet black people are 12 times more likely to be arrested for drug use. You cannot tell me that is equality.

People in "inner cities" don't do worse in school because they're lazy, they do worse in school because their schools aren't properly funded...

I'm a millennial and it's not even in my top three for concerns.
Ok, would you like a cookie?
I don't believe in reverse racism but apparently reverse virtue signaling is a thing now...

good. why the heck is there still racial inequality? it affects economic and health care outcomes too. racial disparities are everywhere!
Yes, why, in 2018, are black women three times more likely to die in childbirth than white women? It's disgusting. Racial discrimination is, in some cases, literally a matter of life and death. But no, I'm only supposed to care about the economy and healthcare as it pertains to me, because apparently many don't value caring about other people any more...

When they don't get their dream job, it's because of their race or gender, and not because of their lack of experience, work ethic, minimal credentials, or the neck tattoo that their older prospective boss isn't exactly into.
Literally the only people I have ever heard articulate that thought are white Trump supporters, anywhere from ages 16-60. They'll whine when they didn't get a promotion or acceptance into a college or work program they felt they deserved, because some minority they felt was beneath them got it instead due to affirmative action. Never mind the fact that said minority was, in each and every case, just as qualified (if not more so) than the aforementioned Trump supporters...
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »

I think the main issue WILL be culture. We are already seeing that as economic lines (in terms of party voting) are pretty mixed. For example, it used to be Democrat=working class and Republican=wealthy. Now, both parties are pretty much the same in terms of wealth. Hell, if you subtract African-Americans, Republicans are by average LESS wealthy than the Democrats.
maybe if you're going by household income like that gss study. assuming that's what you're referring to anyway.. but individual level not really

You must be logged in to read this quote.

i get the impression republicans would rather just let their party literally die off over the next 20 years or so than change. or at least the super rich donors and people maintaining all the party infrastructure feel that way
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »

It's threads like this that remind me that atlas is 90% white
Joey1996

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »

It's threads like this that remind me that atlas is 90% white
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2018, 09:34:26 PM »

Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »

Of course millenials don't care about healthcare.  They're young, healthy, often living with assistance from their parents, and can be on their folks' healthcare plan until age 26.  When they don't get their dream job, it's because of their race or gender, and not because of their lack of experience, work ethic, minimal credentials, or the neck tattoo that their older prospective boss isn't exactly into.  And as long as their parents are providing much of their sustainance (especially shelter), the economy is all academic to them.  Besides, their parents will have Medicare when they get old and sick.

Racial Discrimination is an issue where millenials get to feel morally superior to their elders.  That's nothing new; it's the Archie Bunker/Michael Stivic rivalry for the 21st century.  And when I was the age millenials are now, I was in the Michael Stivic camp.  While Michael Stivic ("Meathead") was right on the issue, and Archie Bunker was not, I do note that the younger generation took for granted how hard and faithfully Archie Bunker worked.  Having put in decades of work because I had to, I'm a little more appreciative of Archie Bunker's work ethic, and, without endorsing it, a bit more understanding of his anti-intellectualism. 

None of what you wrote is an excuse to be an ignorant bigot.

But it's not justification for writing folks off and declaring them to be scum, either.  Folks whose racial attitudes may need adjusting, particularly folks raised in an earlier time, may not deserve your vote if they are running for office, but they do deserve your respect for the fact that many of these folks worked hard and faithfully for decades, helping to build the country that you have lived off, but have contributed minimally to.  They deserve your respect for picking up a weapon and standing a post, or serving in a forward area during wartime helping to defend the country that you are blessed to live in.

I have respect for those that work and contribute.  The makers.  Young folks who haven't worked beyond a summer job aren't makers.  They're takers.  That's OK; I was a taker at age 22.  I had no idea how tough it would become to go out and work every day back then, and to work 2 jobs if you needed to.  I know that now.  Yes, I know that liberal millenials believe that by campaigning for Democrats, they are working to build their country, and I won't argue with that here, but if that's contributing, then they need to apologize to Mitt Romney for claiming that his 5 able-bodied sons' work on his Presidential campaigns was the equivilent of military service.  

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »

inb4 "latinos can be white too"

Left-leaning tail-end Millennial here, I'm going to try to explain what the stereotypical "libtard Millennial" position on each issue is.

1) Radical Islam and Islamic terrorism doesn't pose the same level of existential threat to the US or Canada as it does to Europe. We're separated from the war-torn Middle East by thousands of miles of ocean; they aren't. There's no way we'd be able to let in hundreds of thousands of refugees even if all the ivory tower SJW antifa supporters in Berkeley wanted to.

It's interesting to see some of the strongest hostility towards Muslims and Islamic culture from the Christian right, because observant Muslims (both immigrant and native-born) often hold similarly conservative views on social issues like LGBT rights and abortion. This is a frequent talking point on the NationStates forums and is something members across the political spectrum agree on.

2) I also think "PC" culture on college campuses is getting out of hand, even though I generally find myself on the progressive/leftist side on such issues. I would also like to remind Atlasians that freedom of speech only protects you from being arrested or harassed by the government, and does not protect individuals from being shunned by private individuals or groups for being bigots (or in the case of James Damore, not knowing how to tailor his message to his presumed audience).

3) The concept of "white privilege" makes sense in certain contexts because the white people non-whites encounter in large metro areas tend to be more affluent and college-educated. This is especially true for college campuses, where upscale whites form the backbone of the "Solid Liberal" academia establishment. As long as Non-Hispanic Whites continue to make up the largest plurality racial/ancestry group in the US, non-Anglo and part-Anglo children growing up here will continue to associate whiteness/Anglo culture with mainstream American society.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »

About as likely as me getting my "socially moderate, economically center-right, pro-business" party, pal.  Trump undoubtedly made some gains with voters who previously hadn't supported Republicans (or at least not often enough), but 1) a lot of that had to do with Hillary Clinton's unique weakness as a candidate (despite whatever other narrative you are trying to spin about Trump being the only one who could beat her) and 2) he lost tons of reliable Republican voters in suburban areas.  A successful Republican who actually wants to equip the party to win longterm and not serve as some pathetic last gasp in the culture war but rather be a vehicle for enacting conservative policy needs BOTH set of voters.  That is achieved by being both economically friendly to the middle class (which doesn't necessarily equate with your fetishized *populism*) and inoffensive to growing demographics in the country that the GOP will eventually need.  "Bush-Reagan neoconservatism" may well no longer be in favor ... but this is "Trump nationalism"'s 2004 then.  The GOP needs to find another way forward, and any moron can see that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »

What does this dog whistle even mean?

Root out discrimination anywhere, especially with home mortgages, but stop the corporate shakedowns. You don't have to hire people because of skin color, it should be because of work ethic, with any race.

It's not a dog whistle. Social engineering doesn't really work.

We are all equal.

Don't be obtuse. Social engineering is what the US was founded on, and has practiced for decades. The idea that minorities are inferior is social engineering - ensuring that corporations and universities account for that is not. Pretending it's the other way around is willful ignorance.

We are all equal in the way how we can have opportunities, but it is the way how people conduct themselves is how they become successful.

Mass incarceration is a big problem, those wrongly put in jail should be freed, but murderers and rapists should be punished forever.

Education is a big issue as well. If inner city students don't feel the need to learn (some of them), same goes with rural white children, who will hold their hands to do it?
No, we are absolutely not equal in the opportunities afforded to white and black people. Those graphs disproved your point before you made it.

For instance, white people and black people use illegal drugs at about the same rate (9.5% of whites, 10.5% of black people, which means that there are waaaaaay more white people using drugs than black people), yet black people are 12 times more likely to be arrested for drug use. You cannot tell me that is equality.

People in "inner cities" don't do worse in school because they're lazy, they do worse in school because their schools aren't properly funded...

I don't believe in reverse racism but apparently reverse virtue signaling is a thing now...

good. why the heck is there still racial inequality? it affects economic and health care outcomes too. racial disparities are everywhere!
Yes, why, in 2018, are black women three times more likely to die in childbirth than white women? It's disgusting. Racial discrimination is, in some cases, literally a matter of life and death. But no, I'm only supposed to care about the economy and healthcare as it pertains to me, because apparently many don't value caring about other people any more...

When they don't get their dream job, it's because of their race or gender, and not because of their lack of experience, work ethic, minimal credentials, or the neck tattoo that their older prospective boss isn't exactly into.
Literally the only people I have ever heard articulate that thought are white Trump supporters, anywhere from ages 16-60. They'll whine when they didn't get a promotion or acceptance into a college or work program they felt they deserved, because some minority they felt was beneath them got it instead due to affirmative action. Never mind the fact that said minority was, in each and every case, just as qualified (if not more so) than the aforementioned Trump supporters...
Yes, some of them in inner cities are lazy. You don't invest in people who don't want it. Those who want it should get an education. Government can't hold your hand and guide you through the way. The excuses game is not working anymore. Middle America had it. There needs to be a better alternative.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »

well to be blunt not everyone can be a doctor or a lawyer we should be more realistic in expectations. providing technical training and different jobs programs for people for a start... i'd go further but we're talking things that could realistically happen here. also a lot of these inner city schools have the air quality of a dumpster fire which doesn't help

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/feb/01/schools-across-the-us-exposed-to-air-pollution-hildren-are-facing-risks

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »

I’m glad; maybe we’ll actually make more than superficial progress on this issue once Millenials are the main voting block.  Glad Millenials are at least recognising the discrimination that exist within America’s  institutions.

We all know that discrimination exists in some of America's institutions. The question remains, once the discrimination ends, will there be more complaining and extreme extortion tactics from SJWs?
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »

Uh, that's not what I meant at all? Why do you have to jump down people's throats for stating something like that??
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »

Uh, that's not what I meant at all? Why do you have to jump down people's throats for stating something like that??
It honestly came across condescending, but if you did not mean it in the way I perceived it, I hope you accept my apology.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »

Of course millenials don't care about healthcare.  They're young, healthy, often living with assistance from their parents, and can be on their folks' healthcare plan until age 26.  When they don't get their dream job, it's because of their race or gender, and not because of their lack of experience, work ethic, minimal credentials, or the neck tattoo that their older prospective boss isn't exactly into.  And as long as their parents are providing much of their sustainance (especially shelter), the economy is all academic to them.  Besides, their parents will have Medicare when they get old and sick.

Racial Discrimination is an issue where millenials get to feel morally superior to their elders.  That's nothing new; it's the Archie Bunker/Michael Stivic rivalry for the 21st century.  And when I was the age millenials are now, I was in the Michael Stivic camp.  While Michael Stivic ("Meathead") was right on the issue, and Archie Bunker was not, I do note that the younger generation took for granted how hard and faithfully Archie Bunker worked.  Having put in decades of work because I had to, I'm a little more appreciative of Archie Bunker's work ethic, and, without endorsing it, a bit more understanding of his anti-intellectualism. 

None of what you wrote is an excuse to be an ignorant bigot.

But it's not justification for writing folks off and declaring them to be scum, either.  Folks whose racial attitudes may need adjusting, particularly folks raised in an earlier time, may not deserve your vote if they are running for office, but they do deserve your respect for the fact that many of these folks worked hard and faithfully for decades, helping to build the country that you have lived off, but have contributed minimally to.  They deserve your respect for picking up a weapon and standing a post, or serving in a forward area during wartime helping to defend the country that you are blessed to live in.

I have respect for those that work and contribute.  The makers.  Young folks who haven't worked beyond a summer job aren't makers.  They're takers.  That's OK; I was a taker at age 22.  I had no idea how tough it would become to go out and work every day back then, and to work 2 jobs if you needed to.  I know that now.  Yes, I know that liberal millenials believe that by campaigning for Democrats, they are working to build their country, and I won't argue with that here, but if that's contributing, then they need to apologize to Mitt Romney for claiming that his 5 able-bodied sons' work on his Presidential campaigns was the equivilent of military service.  

The gist of what you wrote is that I should placate racists because they "work hard". Got it. Wink
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »

i dont really get the arguments against focusing on the evils of racism and bigotry. like, do right wingers support racism or do they just not care? why is it controversial? it's a fact that there's racial inequality, discrimination, prejudice in the US (and frankly around the world too). what's wrong with focusing on it?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

There is a lot of assumptions going on here. 'Archie Bunker' works hard and is a maker. Got it. I don't consider him scum, and I don't always feel morally superior to him, and I don't blame race or gender for what jobs I get. These people have my respect. That doesn't mean they are perfect. But anyone who contributes positively to society obviously deserves to be recognized.

The problem with Mitt Romney's sons was that they are working on their dad's campaign. In military service you go fight for your country, not your personal interests. That's a big part of what makes it heroic. I have no problem with comparing military service and working on campaigns as equally important, or even the latter so, but when that campaign is your dad's or mom's, treating it as something noble is a joke.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »

There is a lot of assumptions going on here. 'Archie Bunker' works hard and is a maker. Got it. I don't consider him scum, and I don't always feel morally superior to him, and I don't blame race or gender for what jobs I get. These people have my respect. That doesn't mean they are perfect. But anyone who contributes positively to society obviously deserves to be recognized.
aren't you asian? or am i thinking of someone else
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2018, 05:07:18 PM »

Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »

Because not only is he not RFK, he didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies