Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:20:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare  (Read 4127 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:53:08 PM »

inb4 "latinos can be white too"

Not surprising. The whole point of (most of) the modern left is to fight "racism". I've argued we are entering a new era of politics where it will be culture not economics, which decide elections, and we are engulfed in an intense culture war.

And why do you see yourself on the (presumably) anti-left side of that "war"?

I think the main issue WILL be culture. We are already seeing that as economic lines (in terms of party voting) are pretty mixed. For example, it used to be Democrat=working class and Republican=wealthy. Now, both parties are pretty much the same in terms of wealth. Hell, if you subtract African-Americans, Republicans are by average LESS wealthy than the Democrats. I mean, I don't see how the Republicans will survive as a national party if we don't accommodate our new base (which, is heavily White and working-class) without making major changes in our parties' economic viewpoints. That being said, it seems the driving issues of the day center around Trump and wether he was right or wrong for insulting some group. Immigration, guns, diversity, free speech, etc carry much more weight in terms of discussion then tax cuts or privatization (lol) do. And, all of this is centered around a new America vs Old America dynamic (you see this on college campuses everywhere).

I would post links expanding more on this, but for some reason I can't.

None of that has anything to do with the question I asked you.

On the right. I think the left's positions on immigration (ESPECIALLY islamic), free speech (censor opposition), and "white privilege" all to be dangerous (naming a few issues). So, that makes me on the right-wing (though, I'm certainly mixed with many issues).

Left-leaning tail-end Millennial here, I'm going to try to explain what the stereotypical "libtard Millennial" position on each issue is.

1) Radical Islam and Islamic terrorism doesn't pose the same level of existential threat to the US or Canada as it does to Europe. We're separated from the war-torn Middle East by thousands of miles of ocean; they aren't. There's no way we'd be able to let in hundreds of thousands of refugees even if all the ivory tower SJW antifa supporters in Berkeley wanted to.

It's interesting to see some of the strongest hostility towards Muslims and Islamic culture from the Christian right, because observant Muslims (both immigrant and native-born) often hold similarly conservative views on social issues like LGBT rights and abortion. This is a frequent talking point on the NationStates forums and is something members across the political spectrum agree on.

2) I also think "PC" culture on college campuses is getting out of hand, even though I generally find myself on the progressive/leftist side on such issues. I would also like to remind Atlasians that freedom of speech only protects you from being arrested or harassed by the government, and does not protect individuals from being shunned by private individuals or groups for being bigots (or in the case of James Damore, not knowing how to tailor his message to his presumed audience).

3) The concept of "white privilege" makes sense in certain contexts because the white people non-whites encounter in large metro areas tend to be more affluent and college-educated. This is especially true for college campuses, where upscale whites form the backbone of the "Solid Liberal" academia establishment. As long as Non-Hispanic Whites continue to make up the largest plurality racial/ancestry group in the US, non-Anglo and part-Anglo children growing up here will continue to associate whiteness/Anglo culture with mainstream American society.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies