Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:27:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Millennials: Racial Discrimination more important than economy, healthcare  (Read 4160 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 08, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »

Social engineering doesn't work anymore.

There needs to be a balance.

What does this dog whistle even mean?

Root out discrimination anywhere, especially with home mortgages, but stop the corporate shakedowns. You don't have to hire people because of skin color, it should be because of work ethic, with any race.

It's not a dog whistle. Social engineering doesn't really work.

We are all equal.

Don't be obtuse. Social engineering is what the US was founded on, and has practiced for decades. The idea that minorities are inferior is social engineering - ensuring that corporations and universities account for that is not. Pretending it's the other way around is willful ignorance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:23:24 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2018, 10:47:45 PM by RFKFan68 »

I'm a millennial and it's not even in my top three for concerns.
Ok, would you like a cookie?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:52:19 PM »

Of course millenials don't care about healthcare.  They're young, healthy, often living with assistance from their parents, and can be on their folks' healthcare plan until age 26.  When they don't get their dream job, it's because of their race or gender, and not because of their lack of experience, work ethic, minimal credentials, or the neck tattoo that their older prospective boss isn't exactly into.  And as long as their parents are providing much of their sustainance (especially shelter), the economy is all academic to them.  Besides, their parents will have Medicare when they get old and sick.

Racial Discrimination is an issue where millenials get to feel morally superior to their elders.  That's nothing new; it's the Archie Bunker/Michael Stivic rivalry for the 21st century.  And when I was the age millenials are now, I was in the Michael Stivic camp.  While Michael Stivic ("Meathead") was right on the issue, and Archie Bunker was not, I do note that the younger generation took for granted how hard and faithfully Archie Bunker worked.  Having put in decades of work because I had to, I'm a little more appreciative of Archie Bunker's work ethic, and, without endorsing it, a bit more understanding of his anti-intellectualism. 

None of what you wrote is an excuse to be an ignorant bigot.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »

I'm a millennial and it's not even in my top three for concerns.
Ok, would you like a cookie?

Uh, that's not what I meant at all? Why do you have to jump down people's throats for stating something like that??
It honestly came across condescending, but if you did not mean it in the way I perceived it, I hope you accept my apology.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »

Of course millenials don't care about healthcare.  They're young, healthy, often living with assistance from their parents, and can be on their folks' healthcare plan until age 26.  When they don't get their dream job, it's because of their race or gender, and not because of their lack of experience, work ethic, minimal credentials, or the neck tattoo that their older prospective boss isn't exactly into.  And as long as their parents are providing much of their sustainance (especially shelter), the economy is all academic to them.  Besides, their parents will have Medicare when they get old and sick.

Racial Discrimination is an issue where millenials get to feel morally superior to their elders.  That's nothing new; it's the Archie Bunker/Michael Stivic rivalry for the 21st century.  And when I was the age millenials are now, I was in the Michael Stivic camp.  While Michael Stivic ("Meathead") was right on the issue, and Archie Bunker was not, I do note that the younger generation took for granted how hard and faithfully Archie Bunker worked.  Having put in decades of work because I had to, I'm a little more appreciative of Archie Bunker's work ethic, and, without endorsing it, a bit more understanding of his anti-intellectualism. 

None of what you wrote is an excuse to be an ignorant bigot.

But it's not justification for writing folks off and declaring them to be scum, either.  Folks whose racial attitudes may need adjusting, particularly folks raised in an earlier time, may not deserve your vote if they are running for office, but they do deserve your respect for the fact that many of these folks worked hard and faithfully for decades, helping to build the country that you have lived off, but have contributed minimally to.  They deserve your respect for picking up a weapon and standing a post, or serving in a forward area during wartime helping to defend the country that you are blessed to live in.

I have respect for those that work and contribute.  The makers.  Young folks who haven't worked beyond a summer job aren't makers.  They're takers.  That's OK; I was a taker at age 22.  I had no idea how tough it would become to go out and work every day back then, and to work 2 jobs if you needed to.  I know that now.  Yes, I know that liberal millenials believe that by campaigning for Democrats, they are working to build their country, and I won't argue with that here, but if that's contributing, then they need to apologize to Mitt Romney for claiming that his 5 able-bodied sons' work on his Presidential campaigns was the equivilent of military service.  

The gist of what you wrote is that I should placate racists because they "work hard". Got it. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies