EU economic growth rates for Q4, 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:25:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  EU economic growth rates for Q4, 2017
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EU economic growth rates for Q4, 2017  (Read 2998 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:48:28 AM »

Q4, 2017 compared with Q4, 2016 (seasonally adjusted):

+7.0% Romania
+6.2% Slovenia
+5.3% Estonia
+5.2% Czech Republic
+4.9% Hungary
+4.7% Latvia
+4.3% Poland
+3.9% Cyprus
+3.8% Lithuania
+3.6% Austria
+3.5% Slovakia
+3.5% Bulgaria
+3.3% Sweden
+3.1% Spain
+3.1% Netherlands
+2.9% Germany
+2.8% Finland

+2.5% France
+2.4% Portugal
+2.2% Croatia
+1.9% Belgium
+1.9% Greece
+1.6% Italy
+1.4% UK
+1.2% Denmark

+2.7% Eurozone
+2.6% EU

+2.5% USA
+1.4% Norway

No numbers available for Ireland, Luxembourg and Malta yet.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/8718257/2-07032018-AP-EN.pdf
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 11:25:01 AM »

Thanks Brexit...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:09:20 PM »

Well, the UK did grow much faster than the EU over the past 5 years ... so it evens out.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »

Well, the UK did grow much faster than the EU over the past 5 years ... so it evens out.

Yeah, but this still is hilarious (for lack of a better word) when you look at the Brexiteers who claimed Brexit wouldn't hurt the economy after growth didn't immediately crash in the months after Brexit.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 08:45:23 PM »

Yeah, but this still is hilarious (for lack of a better word) when you look at the Brexiteers who claimed Brexit wouldn't hurt the economy after growth didn't immediately crash in the months after Brexit.
I think it is rather hilarious that the British economy continues to keep growing while scaremongering Remainers were sure that each and every company would suddenly run away.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:17:22 PM »

Fact of the matter is, Brexit or no Brexit, the rich win and everyone else gets f**cked
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:09:10 AM »

I think it is rather hilarious that the British economy continues to keep growing while scaremongering Remainers were sure that each and every company would suddenly run away.

Remainers said we'd be poorer if we voted to leave, and that's what has happened, and its not going to get better. No-one has come up with a scenario in which Britain emerges financially healthy post-brexit. Tens of thousands of jobs have already been lost to Brexit, just because they haven't happened to once, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »

Our National Bank is expecting 3.3% growth for the first half of this year, while the "Economist" that I got today only predicts 2.2% for this year ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 10:37:24 AM »

In the "Economist" Easter version I got today, they are still estimating only 2.2% growth for Austria in 2018.

That is pretty low, considering that the WIFO and IHS institutes are projecting 3% to 3.2% growth this year (after an actual +3.1% last year) and I can also tell you that I have never experienced a quarter with such a high export activity in our company as in the quarter that just ended today.

I project that Q1, 2018 growth will be somewhere between 3 and 4% and it's very likely that growth will remain strong throughout the year.

Which also means the Economist's estimate for our budget deficit might be wrong: They predict a 0.8% deficit, the government a 0.4% deficit - but if growth is very high, it could already be balanced this year.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »

In the "Economist" Easter version I got today, they are still estimating only 2.2% growth for Austria in 2018.

That is pretty low, considering that the WIFO and IHS institutes are projecting 3% to 3.2% growth this year (after an actual +3.1% last year) and I can also tell you that I have never experienced a quarter with such a high export activity in our company as in the quarter that just ended today.

I project that Q1, 2018 growth will be somewhere between 3 and 4% and it's very likely that growth will remain strong throughout the year.

Which also means the Economist's estimate for our budget deficit might be wrong: They predict a 0.8% deficit, the government a 0.4% deficit - but if growth is very high, it could already be balanced this year.
Those new refugees are working hard!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »

What do the self-styled "refugees" (= economic migrants and other cheaters and criminals) have to do with this ?

Austria spends 3 Bio. € a year on their welfare and integration, so they are mostly a drag on the econony and budget and not an asset.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 07:40:11 AM »

First numbers for Q1, 2018 are out and it's a mixed bag:

The UK and France have big slowdowns, while Spain and Austria maintain strong growth.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/slowdown-in-france-raises-questions-over-eurozone-recovery-1524811211
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »

What do the self-styled "refugees" (= economic migrants and other cheaters and criminals) have to do with this ?

Austria spends 3 Bio. € a year on their welfare and integration, so they are mostly a drag on the econony and budget and not an asset.
The correct abbreviation for billions is bn.  For million it is m.  As in, last year the douchey elite capitalist extracted $158m from the produce of others, adding to his $4bn net worth.

In your case it would be:  Austria spends €3bn/year or Austria spends €3bn per year.

But I guess from an economic standpoint... just where does that €3bn end up?  Like... where do these burdensome economic migrant cheaters and criminals spend these lavish sums?  Do they eat the money?  Do they flush it down the toilet?  Do they smoke it? 

My (perhaps catastrophically incorrect) assumption was that they use the money to pay rent and buy groceries and get haircuts and pay fares to be transported around so they can attempt to do economically beneficial things?

Surely a man as intelligent as yourself must understand that in a morbidly aged society like Austria with an unprecedented dearth of youth that the robust economic growth can really only be tied to population growth caused by a sudden influx of new economic actors into the country?  That in old societies with few young people, people tend to save money and not spend and produce less often to the point where the few young people that are around cannot gets jobs because as the older people get ready to retire, the demand for the products/services they produce tends to wane proportionately thus negating the demand for a young replacement?

But whatever...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:08 PM »

The correct abbreviation for billions is bn.  For million it is m.  As in, last year the douchey elite capitalist extracted $158m from the produce of others, adding to his $4bn net worth.

In your case it would be:  Austria spends €3bn/year or Austria spends €3bn per year.

But I guess from an economic standpoint... just where does that €3bn end up?  Like... where do these burdensome economic migrant cheaters and criminals spend these lavish sums?  Do they eat the money?  Do they flush it down the toilet?  Do they smoke it?  

My (perhaps catastrophically incorrect) assumption was that they use the money to pay rent and buy groceries and get haircuts and pay fares to be transported around so they can attempt to do economically beneficial things?

Surely a man as intelligent as yourself must understand that in a morbidly aged society like Austria with an unprecedented dearth of youth that the robust economic growth can really only be tied to population growth caused by a sudden influx of new economic actors into the country?  That in old societies with few young people, people tend to save money and not spend and produce less often to the point where the few young people that are around cannot gets jobs because as the older people get ready to retire, the demand for the products/services they produce tends to wane proportionately thus negating the demand for a young replacement?

But whatever...

Look, I'm aware of that but as I have said in the past they do not only bring "youth" to Austria, Germany, Sweden etc. - but also crime and destruction. And because of this, I prefer to keep our ageing societies instead of importing failed people and possible additional rapes and killings of our women, children and elderly - who have built our country.

What Austria needs, are immigrants from Sweden, Canada, Norway, Finland, China, New Zealand, Australia, Japan etc. - but not from Africa and the Middle-East, where many have an extremist Muslim mindset.

They need to solve their problems there first (such as rampant overpopulation and breeding, Muslim extremism and their backwards world-view) and in 100-200 years we can talk about admitting them as immigrants.

As for the time being, we don't want them here and don't want to spend a lot of money on them.

Got it ?

PS: the correct abbreviation here is "Bio.", not "bn".
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 07:17:54 AM »

halving the trend rate of growth to own the remainers
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 07:20:12 AM »

The Remain narrative was rather that the economy would completely crash and nobody would want to trade with Britain anymore. Steady economic growth doesn't exactly fit in that picture.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »

The Remain narrative was rather that the economy would completely crash and nobody would want to trade with Britain anymore. Steady economic growth doesn't exactly fit in that picture.

Obviously, the Remain narrative was hysterical and hyperbolic but the UK will likely be the "sick man of Europe", as its labor productivity remains stagnant. I wouldn't pay too much attention to "steady economic growth" - like most countries in Europe, UK is dependent on trade so the stunning European growth figures have lifted Britain's economy to a degree.

Fact remains that real wages in the UK continue to decline.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »

Obviously, the Remain narrative was hysterical and hyperbolic but the UK will likely be the "sick man of Europe", as its labor productivity remains stagnant. I wouldn't pay too much attention to "steady economic growth" - like most countries in Europe, UK is dependent on trade so the stunning European growth figures have lifted Britain's economy to a degree.

Fact remains that real wages in the UK continue to decline.
I agree, and this is bad. I'm not at all arguing that Brexit has been a net positive for Britain's economy, or that people in Britain mostly earn fair wages, or that there are no underlying problems with Britain's economy. I am just debunking Remainers' claim that Brexit has been catastrophical for the British economy and that this is evidenced by the current growth rates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies