SB 2018-164: Atlasian Wasted Funding Investigation Fund (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:58:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-164: Atlasian Wasted Funding Investigation Fund (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2018-164: Atlasian Wasted Funding Investigation Fund (Tabled)  (Read 1353 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:12:07 PM »
« edited: April 11, 2018, 05:14:27 PM by Princeps Senatus Lumine »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Haslam.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »

This Bill will allow Congress to get rid of wasteful spending and help cut down on the deficit, as well as making sure Congress has the final say on any cuts that could be harmful to our Citizens.  I will be supporting this Bill wholeheartedly.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 06:10:33 PM »

We need to reduce the deficit and get our budget in order, I will support this.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »

This seems like a fine idea, but I wish for clarification about a "private investigation group" that would be authorized to carry this out.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »

As with Haslam's other bill, will the sponsor be making a case?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 02:13:18 PM »

As with Haslam's other bill, will the sponsor be making a case?

Same as the other bill, I really believe the sponsor should at least address the concerns of Senator LouisvilleThunder before we act on this.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »

I haven't heard from the sponsor in 18 days, so I file a motion to table. Do I have a seconder?

(If Halsam does explain his bill I'll withdraw the motion, but I feel it's important that sponsors show up)
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »

Is there any way I could assume sponsorship of this bill in the absence of Haslam?  I definitely support this bill and don't want to see it tabled.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 11:48:44 AM »

I've been wondering about that, but the relevant part of the Senate rules states:

So the only way to change a sponsor would be if Haslam was no longer a Senator, or voluntarily withdrew his sponsorship.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »

Sigh, alright, damn arcane rules I assume I can't exactly go and resubmit the legislation as my own, can I?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 12:05:28 PM »

Sigh, alright, damn arcane rules I assume I can't exactly go and resubmit the legislation as my own, can I?

There's nothing really stopping you from it, technically as PPT I can remove legislation that would be a duplicate, but this doesn't seem like the case to do it.

No, I withdraw the motion to table. I'll wait a bit longer for Haslam to show up, but since he hasn't been on the Senate for almost five days, I will feel forced to take more drastic action if this continues.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »

Sorry again, things happened. Next time I’ll be sure to take a leave of absence. Alright, this will reduce the deficit and help us  get rid of our budget problem, without corruption and government interference. We’ll get a private investigation to help us out. Atlasia is not in a good state economically, and hopefully this will help tell us where to cut.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »

I believe this bill is needed for our great nation, it’ll help us get us out of wasteful government spending. What is there to oppose?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

I don't mind it myself, I do plan to support it. What did the Budget Committee think of the bill, did they offer feedback?
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

I don't mind it myself, I do plan to support it. What did the Budget Committee think of the bill, did they offer feedback?

I would like to have a tad more debate and insight from them, if they agree with it, let’s get this passed!
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »

Well, any more debate on this?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »

Senators, I strongly urge a vote against this bill for three major reasons.

First: We already have a budget committee supposedly working on reducing the massive (nearly 5% of GDP) deficit this government holds. To spend taxpayer money on an investigation "Fund" that is to be used by a PI group to do exactly what our Budget Committee is attempting to accomplish seems to be an example of duplicate government spending. Exactly the sort of which this government should be attempting to decrease, not expand upon.

Second: Are we suggesting that a PRIVATE organization shall trifle through intergovernmental records, of which contains private and top-secret information? Ridiculous. Not just to the millions of Americans who could lose their constitutional right to privacy, but also to the now disadvantaged private competitors. Crony capitalism at its finest.

Thirdly: There are NO regulations that stipulate that these resources will be used wisely, sustainably, nor used as a slush fund. To leave the Budget Committee, or any group of politicians for that matter, as the arbiter of reputability should be a joke. If the Budget Committee cannot accomplish any meaningful reform in the 8 months they have been around, how should we be assured that they will wisely choose a Private Organization to receive this contract?

Senators, the constitutional responsibility of our budget and our rising deficit are up to you. Do not pass a bill that would hurt Atlasians' right to privacy, distort the free market, and be a piece wasteful and duplicate spending itself!

I strongly urge a vote against this bill.

Thank you.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 06:25:21 PM »

Senators, I strongly urge a vote against this bill for three major reasons.

First: We already have a budget committee supposedly working on reducing the massive (nearly 5% of GDP) deficit this government holds. To spend taxpayer money on an investigation "Fund" that is to be used by a PI group to do exactly what our Budget Committee is attempting to accomplish seems to be an example of duplicate government spending. Exactly the sort of which this government should be attempting to decrease, not expand upon.

Second: Are we suggesting that a PRIVATE organization shall trifle through intergovernmental records, of which contains private and top-secret information? Ridiculous. Not just to the millions of Americans who could lose their constitutional right to privacy, but also to the now disadvantaged private competitors. Crony capitalism at its finest.

Thirdly: There are NO regulations that stipulate that these resources will be used wisely, sustainably, nor used as a slush fund. To leave the Budget Committee, or any group of politicians for that matter, as the arbiter of reputability should be a joke. If the Budget Committee cannot accomplish any meaningful reform in the 8 months they have been around, how should we be assured that they will wisely choose a Private Organization to receive this contract?

Senators, the constitutional responsibility of our budget and our rising deficit are up to you. Do not pass a bill that would hurt Atlasians' right to privacy, distort the free market, and be a piece wasteful and duplicate spending itself!

I strongly urge a vote against this bill.

Thank you.

The concerns to the first part of your statement can be surely addressed. I believe that an investigation by a private, trusted firm would greatly increase our knowledge on where our funds are being wasted. I applaud the work of the budget committee, but this would help them. Think about it, if there’s excessive wasteful government spending in some of our agencies are we sure to know? Do you not believe a private investigation to send recommendations to the budget committee would be a burden to them?

Now how did that get in there? Maybe I should add a domestic agencies clause into the bill, but this would NOT AT ALL compromise the safety and privacy of any Atlasian. I, and many of my colleagues would not allow that on our watch.

We shall fund them a million dollars to look through at our government agencies, and to see where thy are wasting money. They will report their findings to the budget committee, to help them.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »

You gloss over large portions of my arguments, but I will try and evaluate what you are saying.

What work? The only discussion about the budget hasn't been for over 2 months. I see no rationale as to how they should be applauded for doing no work for the benefit of the Atlasian people. Truman fully released his budget proposal 3 months ago. Attempt to fund ineffective, inefficient, and inept parts of the government is exactly one of the reason we are in a near $1 Trillion deficit.

1. If you believe that a governmental agency is not reporting its full budget, then that is a serious accusation, of which you should bring up to GM Truman.

2. Continuing with your notion that we do not know if there is wasteful spending because government agencies are not reporting it, or something along those lines. (Side note: I again say that "wasteful spending" is inherently subjective, something that no public or private organization can solve). Then how in the world would a private organization "find these hidden funds," if government agencies are so corrupt as to hide them. Also, this provides a logical fallacy. If we are to suggest that agencies are hiding their wasteful spending, then how is it they make it to the budget? I genuinely don't understand what is accomplished here other than just being a cheap political ploy in the name of "deficit reduction," while accomplishing nothing.

I have no clue what this means. If you are asking if I think a private organization would be burdening the budget committee, then I can't say that, I am not a member. They seem burdened with their own inactivity enough themselves.

I established a pretty clear link - Private Organizations will look at governmental data, of which, can contain private and top secret information. This can easily lead to an advantage on the part of this PI firm against individuals or corporations. In addition, if this is a PI firm, being able to look through governmental data means they would be able to easily track down clients means a huge boon for them over their competitors.

You can make an amendment all you want, but without overarching and complex guidance (requiring more funding), this remains a serious issue.

Except, that's exactly what you are doing by passing this bill.

I mean this is just empty rhetoric. It sounds great, but contains harsh consequences. I suggest you, yourself, find the particular cuts you desire, instead of increasing the deficit on some political ploy. That is the real responsibility of a Senator. I would be more than willing to assist, if you choose that as a path.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

After reading NeverAgain's arguments, I'm now honestly leaning against the bill.

I see his point on protecting privacy and not wasting money on a private company, and trusting a committee that has done basically nothing to this point with more responsibilities.  Why don't we just find what should be cut (not welfare) in the budget?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »

I'd actually like to thank citizen NeverAgain (whose return to Atlasia is a much welcomed one) for making a rather informed and relevant contribution to debate. I myself admit that I probably didn't consider this legislation as carefully as I should have, given that the flaws seem rather glaring after NeverAgain's exposition.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »

I too would vote nay if the bill came to a final vote at this stage, and think concerns raised about it have not been adequately addressed.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

I offer the following amendment, to address my colleagues’ concerns:

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »

Amendment offered, 24 hours for objections.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies