Do you plan on ever having children?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:43:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do you plan on ever having children?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you plan on ever having children?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Do you plan on ever having children?  (Read 3411 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 04:24:09 PM »

Maybe. I lean no, but my girlfriend may change her mind in favor. Both sides have pros and cons.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 04:52:23 PM »

Of course I do.  Having children is one of life's greatest joys.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »

Choosing to adopt a child is absolutely a kind and noble act, and I don't wish to take away from that at all; but the idea that adopted children are less 'high maintenance' than infants is flatly wrong. Most of these children, even those who were not raised in orphanages or were adopted at a relatively young age, suffer from intense psychological and sometimes physical trauma and struggle with attachment disorders and fears of abandonment throughout their lives. Good therapy programs that can help them work through these issues are few and far between, at least where I live. Adoption is a great option and more parents should think about it, but it's not something you do to get out of the "hard part" of parenting (I'm not implying that is anyone's reasoning; apologies if this came off as aggressive).
LBJer
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 10:26:05 PM »

No, never.  I'm much too self-centered to be a good parent, and I don't want anyone taking my freedom away--which is what children do to a large extent.  Besides, I find children to be boring at best and extremely annoying at worst.

Given that the decision to have them is irreversible, you should only do so if you're sure you want them.  If you're even somewhat ambivalent, don't do it. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »

Naturally. I will need to trick someone into doing the... necessary work, hopefully when I’m a bit more established.
It's kinda sad that you think you'd need to trick someone into having sex with you.

Facetiousness. It’s the same language I’d use to refer to getting hired (which, in itself, I’m aware is not healthy, but *shrig*).
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 08:02:38 AM »

I do not want to bring a child into this world. However, I may adopt for two reasons. One, I'd be helping find someone who's already born find a good home, and two, I don't really like interacting with infants for more than 15 minutes at a time so skipping that phase would be awesome.
Pretty much this.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »

Have a kid already.

Some of the averse responses to kids on this thread are interesting. The bulk of society has only had control over its fertility for what? A few generations? It will be interesting to see how a couple centuries of child averse folks opting out of reproducing will shape society.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »

Maybe I should marry an Atlas poster!

That's it. I am moving to Florida to attempt to court said damsel in need of a husband. But alas, I am 20 years her senior.

Intelligence, good looks. A rare combination in political analysts these days.

I almost drowned in vomit.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »

I only want to have kids if I'm relatively well off

Raising kids while lacking resources so they can grow properly is not the way to go
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »

Have a kid already.

Some of the averse responses to kids on this thread are interesting. The bulk of society has only had control over its fertility for what? A few generations? It will be interesting to see how a couple centuries of child averse folks opting out of reproducing will shape society.
I always wonder this... it is very quite clear that birth control and abortion have been the main reason for the huge reduction in births in most of the world (and in the case of modern developing countries, access+education).

Spain is a clear cut case.  They legalized birth control in a very limited fashion in the mid '60s, which allowed wealthier women to have access since they could afford the costly doctor visits.  But it wasn't until 1978 that birth control was fully legalized.

The number of babies born in Spain stayed above 600,000 after 1956 until 1979, the first year after birth control was fully available... and reached nearly 700,000 in 1964, the time when it was partially legalized.

From 1978-1985 births dropped from 636,000 to 456,000 which was, with the exception of 1939 in the Spanish Civil War, the lowest number in at least a century.  Abortion was partially legalized in 1985.  Births continued to fall to a low of 362,000 in 1996 which probably represents the lowest number of Spanish born babies since the mid 19th century.  Since then, they moved upwards with high immigration but have fallen back down again since 2008 to around 410,000.

Without a rapid recovery in the fertility rate, the momentum effect will cause another rapid decline since the larger cohorts born in the 70s are ending their years of having children and being replaced by the very small cohort of the 90s babies.

This will hobble economic growth, place great strains on the working age population, and may push Spain into the demographic crisis that is already enveloping eastern Europe and in our backyard, Puerto Rico... where young people leave to find jobs elsewhere since none are available at home... and have kids abroad, while the young left behind have fewer children themselves... and all that remains are the older people who increasingly can't support themselves.

Think of what's been happening on the high plains of the U.S. for decades... but on a national scale.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »

Have a kid already.

the kind of people paranoid about over population today will be even more worried about under population.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »

The bulk of society has only had control over its fertility for what? A few generations? It will be interesting to see how a couple centuries of child averse folks opting out of reproducing will shape society.
There's always been celibacy.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »

We have no greater obligation than bringing children into the world and raising them well.

e: Middle to upper class people who fail to have children ought to be taxed very heavily

My view precisely, on both counts.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 04:44:32 PM »

Nope.  I'd be heartbroken if they hated me, devastated if they died, etc.  I wouldn't handle it well.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »

I do, but it's probably not going to happen anytime soon..
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 06:43:04 PM »

I would very much like to, yes.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2018, 02:15:03 AM »

And with no regrets.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2018, 02:23:31 AM »

Choosing to adopt a child is absolutely a kind and noble act, and I don't wish to take away from that at all; but the idea that adopted children are less 'high maintenance' than infants is flatly wrong. Most of these children, even those who were not raised in orphanages or were adopted at a relatively young age, suffer from intense psychological and sometimes physical trauma and struggle with attachment disorders and fears of abandonment throughout their lives. Good therapy programs that can help them work through these issues are few and far between, at least where I live. Adoption is a great option and more parents should think about it, but it's not something you do to get out of the "hard part" of parenting (I'm not implying that is anyone's reasoning; apologies if this came off as aggressive).

I think you are quite overstating it when you say "most" have severe conditions in this way. But you are right that it is a lot to deal with, and can't be described as easier somehow than raising an infant.  The question is more a matter of what challenges one feels best prepared for.  A part of me would definitely like to have a biological child, and also be a parent to a baby, it mainly just a bigger unknown for me of how I would handle it.  Ive been in a position before where I was the main caregiver for older children, but not for infants.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 05:10:45 AM »

Yeah. Surrogacy would be ideal, but I don't completely rule out adoption.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 05:57:42 AM »

I want to sire an army of reactionaries.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »

My wife and I are starting to have that talk
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »

No. I'm 53 y.o. and gay. That's not in the cards.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2018, 01:35:36 AM »

Yes, to pass down my name and my accrued knowledge of the world. And barring dramatic medical advances, having kids is arguably the closest one can approach immortality.

But only one, for many, many reasons.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »

Yes. I want to have 2 or 3 when I am between the ages of 35-40.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »

Hard unwavering no since I was 5 years old.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies