HOUSE BILL: Atlasian Transportation Access Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:18:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Atlasian Transportation Access Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Atlasian Transportation Access Act (Failed)  (Read 2493 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
« edited: April 17, 2018, 04:00:13 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
pending
[/quote]

Sponsor: Politicalmasta73
House Designation: HB 1201
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

does anyone have any potential edits.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »

This helps everyone, but most especially the lower and middle working classes. I support it.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »

Not in the house but I endorse this bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

While I agree that this bill could be wonderful with enough work, this seems more like a bill that is best submitted at the regional level, as the federal government doesn't have the authority to actually do this.

On top of that, there are concerns about how much this costs and how it is funded. Is it coming from the existing Department of Transportation budget? Because that could take away from much more important work such as improving highway infrastructure, improving safety regulations, etc. And if it adds to DoT spending, where does the money come from? (which going back to my previous point, is something that should be asked if the regions take it up, since the federal government can't do what this bill is trying to do).
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »

While I agree that this bill could be wonderful with enough work, this seems more like a bill that is best submitted at the regional level, as the federal government doesn't have the authority to actually do this.

On top of that, there are concerns about how much this costs and how it is funded. Is it coming from the existing Department of Transportation budget? Because that could take away from much more important work such as improving highway infrastructure, improving safety regulations, etc. And if it adds to DoT spending, where does the money come from? (which going back to my previous point, is something that should be asked if the regions take it up, since the federal government can't do what this bill is trying to do).
If that is the case, I would be willing to introduce a bill like this in Lincoln.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:29:49 PM »

this bill was modeled to give regions most of the power over deciding the specifics, and split the bill about 60/40 region/federal, which I clumsily left out. I'll add the section.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
pending

Sponsor: Politicalmasta73
House Designation: HB 1201
[/quote]
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »

this bill was modeled to give regions most of the power over deciding the specifics, and split the bill about 60/40 region/federal, which I clumsily left out. I'll add the section.

Cutting the price of bus fares/setting the price is something that the federal government doesn't have the authority to do. That's something that would be decided at regional/local levels.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 05:08:05 PM »

Cutting the price of bus fares/setting the price is something that the federal government doesn't have the authority to do. That's something that would be decided at regional/local levels.
Says who? I guess I could let the regions decide exactly the percentage discount.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »

In this respect, only the local transportation authority has the power to set/change prices and offer discounts. Not even the regions have the authority to set the prices, as transportation authorities are private companies and the government would be out of its jurisdiction (and the government shouldn't be meddling with private companies, anyways).
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 06:42:26 AM »

In this respect, only the local transportation authority has the power to set/change prices and offer discounts. Not even the regions have the authority to set the prices, as transportation authorities are private companies and the government would be out of its jurisdiction (and the government shouldn't be meddling with private companies, anyways).
Not all bus services are private. In the case of private companies, the government can subsidise them or purchase bus passes and distribute them to citizens.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »

Not all bus services are private. In the case of private companies, the government can subsidise them or purchase bus passes and distribute them to citizens.
So you're proposing for the government to take over private companies and run them?
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 09:30:31 AM »

So you're proposing for the government to take over private companies and run them?
Do you understand what a subsidy is?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2018, 09:44:22 AM by Deputy Speaker wxtransit »

I read it wrong, I thought you meant to subsidize the company. And, in this respect, governments already subsidize fares; in fact, fares would not be what they were without it, and you're proposing to lower them more. The government can't responsibly pay to subsidize the fares further.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »

I read it wrong, I thought you meant to subsidize the company. And, in this respect, governments already subsidize fares; in fact, fares would not be what they were without it, and you're proposing to lower them more. The government can't responsibly pay to subsidize the fares further.
Ok. I get concerns about how much this would cost but it most certainly wouldn't take over the company.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 10:06:01 AM »

Ok. I get concerns about how much this would cost but it most certainly wouldn't take over the company.
Yes, of course. My concern here is that the government can't afford to continually subsidize fares. Wink
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 05:04:23 PM »

ANy thoughts on me forming this into a subsidy bill for private companies to reek the rewards of?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »

The subsidies don't necessarily have to go to the bus companies directly (and remember a number of them are municipal and state owned as well). You could have a system like Food stamps that follows the person if that makes sense. This is also similar to the way that we did healthcare and that way, the companies still have to provide decent service because they aren't assured to get that money.

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »

The subsidies don't necessarily have to go to the bus companies directly (and remember a number of them are municipal and state owned as well). You could have a system like Food stamps that follows the person if that makes sense. This is also similar to the way that we did healthcare and that way, the companies still have to provide decent service because they aren't assured to get that money.

I agree with this plan.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »

I agree with this plan.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 10:36:58 PM »

Even with this considered, this bill still seems like something that is better suited for regional legislature rather than handled at the federal level.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »

Even with this considered, this bill still seems like something that is better suited for regional legislature rather than handled at the federal level.
the bill is modeled to give region the control.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »

the bill is modeled to give region the control.

This bill has the Federal government covering 60% of the cost and setting the prices of bus fares. The only thing it gives the regions is that they only cover 40% of the cost and they get to set environmental criteria. That's not giving the regions control. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies