SB 2018-166: War Powers Amendment (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:41:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-166: War Powers Amendment (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2018-166: War Powers Amendment (Passed)  (Read 852 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« on: March 14, 2018, 10:04:55 AM »

This is similar to the legislation I campaigned on and then discussed with Oakvale late last year, the idea of requiring some level of formal engagement from the cabinet as a reaction to the alleged manner in which the Korean fiasco transpired. It was my hope to proceed with legislation on this in December, but my intense holiday work schedule and then my Mom's illness, rapid decline and yea, things got complicated.

But I do plan to support this when it comes to the house side.

My one concern with this, is that it doesnt actually prevent another Korea fiasco. The bombing of N. Korea was a one time thing clearly within the 90 day window. The current president sought approval for a war declaration prior to involving us further, but given that the 2nd Korean War lasted less than 90 days, this change doesnt do much to stop military conflict, and capping withdrawal at 30 days regardless of circumstances seems unwieldy abd could jeopardize the safety or effectiveness if a withdrawal.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:00:35 PM »

Meaning not only Congress will establish limits as to what is an emergency, but that a President will require support from some members of his cabinet before acting.

#triggered.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's fine. Would you be willing to consider 30 days unless the president submits a plan with an alternative schedule including a date for complete withdrawal with some evidence justifying the extension, subject to a 2/3 congressional veto?

That way, the President would still have to provide a definite date and reasoning and congress could react if they thought it was too long, while still giving some flexibility based on the individualized conditions?

Like IRL I dont think we should be in afghanistan any more, but I dont think its feasible to pull everyone and our equipment out in 30 days.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies