HOUSE RESOLUTION: Clean House Amendment 2.0 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:19:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE RESOLUTION: Clean House Amendment 2.0 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HOUSE RESOLUTION: Clean House Amendment 2.0 (Failed)  (Read 1498 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2018, 02:01:41 AM »
« edited: March 28, 2018, 02:30:53 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Special Provision: This Amendment to the Constitution will take effect at the next scheduled election for the House of Representatives after ratification. [/quote]

Sponsor: NC Yankee
House Designation: HR 1202
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 02:03:45 AM »

This is a retread from the ninth Congress, but with the Senate pushing again for this we really should not be left to be instructed as how to "clean our own house" by the other chamber Tongue, but rather should take leadership ourselves on this front and move to reform this aspect of our chamber ourselves. I have adapted the text to reflect the Senate version so that this will speedily be pushed to the regions and not delayed over minor differences.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:22 AM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Tongue On one hand, yes, some elections do have the minimum required candidates (which is frankly concerning), and it is generally better to reduce the size of non-necessary government; however, the House is currently a fairly quiet body already with nine members, and seven members would (likely) make it even quieter, the House would statistically become less representative relative to the popular vote (given the multi-party system we have now), smaller parties that have been able to get in to a nine-seat house would likely fail to get into a seven-seat house due to the large (now) more concentrated popular vote from the larger parties (side note: with such a small House, it should likely become nonpartisan), and with such a small House, decision-making power would be vested in less individuals, potentially setting the stage for more controversial bills to be passed/failed quicker (I should note the Senate does only has six members; however, the House with its nine members serves as a check on the Senate and vice versa).

I don't think just because another house proposed something that concerns the way our House functions should rush us in getting this passed, but instead it should make us consider fully and carefully the potential effects of this getting passed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »

If I may, I would argue that if the House of Representatives is indeed a quiet body (I cannot judge as to that) then that is not directly related to the number of seats. The level of activity and debate in a given body depends on Representatives themselves and the way in which they hold their office and participate in the legislative process. And there's plenty of examples of even smaller bodies (like the famed five-member Mideast Assembly) which weren't exactly quiet or lacked debate despite having five members. If the Representatives are active and committed, the House should be active and display quality debate with seven members as well.

Furthermore, with such a change it's also larger parties that see their representation decreased, not just the small ones. And in the past, when half the Senate was elected at-large with just five seats up for grabs there was significant space for voices that didn't come from both main parties to be represented. The idea of "such a small House" also rings a bit hollow to me, considering the regional legislatures and the Senate are smaller than the proposed reduction, and unlike in RL, there is a limit as to how many offices we can keep filled and active.

Already there is a lot of emphasis by some on the checks and balances of the present system (I disagree with some of the points there, but that's a different debate). Considering there's still the President, Senate and House present in the system, I fail to see how this is too large a change for the present balance of power. Again, that an elected body has less members is not to say radical legislation is going to get passed, unless you would be arguing that because of the Senate only has seven members we're more prone to passing controversial legislation. I don't find that to be the actual case.

Certainly the House isn't forced to pass this measure just because I decided to revive in the Senate. However, the House should also consider carefully the merits of office reduction, the fact that the House (and potentially the regional legislatuves) are the more effective areas in which to achieve this reduction, and that the past rejection of this attempt was, for lack of a better term, both irresponsible and, if I may, a bit selfish too. By all means, let us have this debate on both Houses and have it be an informed one, but I would hope we do not rejected measures of necessary change because of concerns that do not seem enough at the present.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Tongue On one hand, yes, some elections do have the minimum required candidates (which is frankly concerning), and it is generally better to reduce the size of non-necessary government; however, the House is currently a fairly quiet body already with nine members, and seven members would (likely) make it even quieter, the House would statistically become less representative relative to the popular vote (given the multi-party system we have now), smaller parties that have been able to get in to a nine-seat house would likely fail to get into a seven-seat house due to the large (now) more concentrated popular vote from the larger parties (side note: with such a small House, it should likely become nonpartisan), and with such a small House, decision-making power would be vested in less individuals, potentially setting the stage for more controversial bills to be passed/failed quicker (I should note the Senate does only has six members; however, the House with its nine members serves as a check on the Senate and vice versa).

I don't think just because another house proposed something that concerns the way our House functions should rush us in getting this passed, but instead it should make us consider fully and carefully the potential effects of this getting passed.

I said "move to pass" not pass for a reason. Tongue I fully expect and hope to have an informed debate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:56:51 PM »

You know silence most certainly doesn't speak well for "We Need Nine!!!" Tongue

I am just going to keep upping the font size. Evil
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »

Does anyone want to add to my earlier remarks?

crickets
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »

HELL. GODDAMN. NO

we already have an activity problem and, since incumbents are both more likely to get elected as well as be less active, this just makes no sense. The nine person system allows more new people to get elected.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »

I was one of the few that liked Adam's original proposal for the house to be 11 members precisely for that reason, PM, instead of 9, but I doubt we could sustain it that large as we are struggling to get candidates as it is with nine.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »

I was one of the few that liked Adam's original proposal for the house to be 11 members precisely for that reason, PM, instead of 9, but I doubt we could sustain it that large as we are struggling to get candidates as it is with nine.
you aren't making any arguments for your own bill Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 10:19:54 PM »

Doesn't the bold count? Tongue

In a perfect world I would want a larger house. A larger house is more representative, more democratic and thus makes the people's house function as should be as the most effective advocate for the people in a bicameralist arrangement. I support the Cube Root Rule in real life for that very reason.

However, we have to operate in reality and considering the number of elections we have had with barely enough candidates and the number of inactive members we are constantly riding dirty with in this chamber clearly we have overstretched the carrying capacity in this biosphere.

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »

Doesn't the bold count? Tongue

In a perfect world I would want a larger house. A larger house is more representative, more democratic and thus makes the people's house function as should be as the most effective advocate for the people in a bicameralist arrangement. I support the Cube Root Rule in real life for that very reason.

However, we have to operate in reality and considering the number of elections we have had with barely enough candidates and the number of inactive members we are constantly riding dirty with in this chamber clearly we have overstretched the carrying capacity in this biosphere.

no reason to limit ourselves though, more people would be open the larger it is.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »

I can see both sides of this, but I feel like reducing the number of seats is not necessary, nor is it going to help with activity problems. 
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:09:35 AM »

I've stated my case already, and while I can understand the argument of the other side, I see the drawbacks of this amendment being too much compared with the benefits.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 03:31:20 AM »

I am sensing that this debate has run its course and people are either on one side or the other. Therefore I motion for a final vote, Representatives have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 04:40:08 AM »

A Final vote is now open on this resolution, Representatives please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 04:42:26 AM »

AYE

As much as representativeness and democracy are directly correlated with the size of the more popular house, such is inversely correlated with the percentage of inactive or low activity members. Therefore, and based on what I previously stated, I am voting for this once again.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »

Aye
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 12:17:36 PM »

Nay
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 01:25:34 PM »

Nay
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »

Nay.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 08:58:22 PM »

Aye.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 09:14:51 PM »

Nay
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:37 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 11:37:06 PM »

Yet I bear eternally the moniker of being "anti-reform". Tongue "It's BS and it's bad for ya" - George Carlin

Well we went from 1 to hopefully 4 votes. That means next time we try it, it will pass. Tongue

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies