How screwed are the Republicans in future elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:05:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How screwed are the Republicans in future elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How screwed are the Republicans in future elections?  (Read 3383 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:56:49 PM »

As of Conor Lamb's victory, every Republican House seat that is not in deep red territory is in danger of flipping. They are likely to lose the House and might lose the Senate. Donald Trump will likely lose if he doesn't get impeached and removed from office.  How screwed do you think the Republicans are in elections from now into the future?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »

Can we stop making threads like this
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

Bleh, Obama sheded seats when he led the presidency. Atlas thinks this only happens in republican administrations.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »

Bleh, Obama sheded seats when he led the presidency. Atlas thinks this only happens in republican administrations.

Huh

Do you mean Atlas thinks only Republican admins. cause big losses to their party?

That is not my experience on here. There seemed to be a feeling that only Republicans can do well in midterms when I first joined, which makes sense when you consider that because Atlas' user base is young, they really had no idea of how bad a midterm can get for an unpopular Republican president, since most only vividly remembered bad Obama midterms.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 10:13:31 PM »

The youth of America are overwhelmingly left-leaning, and the GOP can only expect 20% at best from rapidly growing racial minority groups.

There are only so many old white people left. Each cycle, there’s less of them. Demographics=destiny.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:16:40 PM »

I honestly think the GOP is finished forever (albeit the party will slowly die) and we're going to enter a period of Democratic domination that will end with the Democratic party splitting in 2 (think of Germany's SPD and CSU) sometime in the future
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »

I don't know about after 2018. But this fall I expect some pretty bad Republican losses at multiple levels of government. Like, we could realistically see the GOP lose the House, the Senate, and 15 gubernatorial seats (though 10 is much more likely).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »

2018 is the year that Republicans begin to lose their stranglehold on governors' mansions and legislatures.

2022 will be the year they decisively lose control of Congress for decades to come, with the White House following suit in 2024. 
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »

We are getting way way wayyyyyy ahead of ourselves here
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »

I honestly think the GOP is finished forever (albeit the party will slowly die) and we're going to enter a period of Democratic domination that will end with the Democratic party splitting in 2 (think of Germany's SPD and CSU) sometime in the future

lol
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »

We are getting way way wayyyyyy ahead of ourselves here
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »

The youth of America are overwhelmingly left-leaning, and the GOP can only expect 20% at best from rapidly growing racial minority groups.

There are only so many old white people left. Each cycle, there’s less of them. Demographics=destiny.

True. We'll see when they start to pay bills and have a home to take care off.

Also, this also shows that Democrats from now on will have no moral authority to blame issues like policing, race on white Republicans anymore, since they will be in control soon. Democrats have run the black community for a long time, it's surprising they have not lost any big cities over the serious issues in these urban liberal areas.

Not that I am a Republican, I'm an Independent. I'm tired of both parties.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »

Also, this also shows that Democrats from now on will have no moral authority to blame issues like policing, race on white Republicans anymore, since they will be in control soon. Democrats have run the black community for a long time, it's surprising they have not lost any big cities over the serious issues in these urban liberal areas.

Not that I am a Republican, I'm an Independent. I'm tired of both parties.

LMAO
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »

lmao today's youth will never be able to own a home because of conservative policies
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2018, 01:53:11 PM by Mondale »

lol

I mean the GOP's own autopsy of 2012 says the party is basically finished if they don't become more diverse....then you guys nominated Trump:

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »

Screwed for 2018 yes, but 2020...well 2012 wasn't a continuous loss from 2010 now was it.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

lol

I mean the GOP's own autopsy of 2012 says the party is basically finished if they don't become more diverse....then you guys nominated Trump:

Then proceeded to win the election. Did you forget about that part?

Anyway it's pretty much a fact at this point that Democratic Hacks have the memory of a goldfish, so we shouldn't be surprise that "Demographics are destiny" nonsense is back, after it had been complelty discredited only just over a year ago.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »

lol

Yes they may lose elections in the short term( Dems have the trifecta for 6-8 years ) but they wont even come close to dying out forever

If the Great Depression didnt kill the GOP , Trump wont either.

Only way GOP dies is if both parties split at the same time
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »

This. I thought Republicans were done after 2012 because of muh demographics.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »

I think there's plenty of room for a discussion about the implications of the GOP's utter alienation of younger voters, but these circlejerking "lol rip gop" threads don't really accomplish anything
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »

lmao today's youth will never be able to own a home because of conservative policies

I never knew the Republicans are in charge of California , and New York while Democrats are in charge of Texas
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:02 PM »

I think there's plenty of room for a discussion about the implications of the GOP's utter alienation of younger voters, but these circlejerking "lol rip gop" threads don't really accomplish anything
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »

American politics is a never-ending pattern. Let's say the 2018 midterms are a Democratic Party wave, as they may very well be. Things will look rough for the Republican Party. Then let's say trump gets re-elected. 2022 then also becomes a horrific year for the GOP. Finally, in 2024 the Democrats win the Presidency and the Republican Party comes across as weak as in 2008. Well guess what? The American electorate will probably punish this Democratic President in the midterms as well, possibly following a change in their behavior or policies. Hell, even if Trump loses in 2020, that incoming Democrat President is pretty much doomed in the midterms as well.

Yes, I know that 2002 was a decent year for the incumbent party but the country has become so much more polarized since 2006 that the pattern has started to form and will continue to be as the parties change and adapt as they see fit. The American electorate is very fickle and these ebbs and flows will always happen depending on who occupies the White House. We put so much importance on the Presidency (for better and worse) that whoever it is essentially becomes the focal point of their opposition and those who are in between. It's a cycle that will never really change. Neither party will ever go extinct.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »

Then proceeded to win the election. Did you forget about that part?

He did, but that doesn't necessarily prove the report wrong. Let's consider this for a second with another example. Someone fills up his car, drives non-stop all day, and is told he is riding on empty. He says fake news, the gauge is wrong, he has much more gas than people realize. He makes it to a hotel, sleeps, wakes up the next day, gets in the car, and it won't start because it's empty.

Sure, he made it to where he was going, but it didn't change the fact that the car still ended up running out of gas. Likewise, Trump winning the election doesn't prove much. I suppose if Republicans run the same kind of campaign on the same issues and win handily in 2032, you might have a point.

Anyway it's pretty much a fact at this point that Democratic Hacks have the memory of a goldfish, so we shouldn't be surprise that "Demographics are destiny" nonsense is back, after it had been complelty discredited only just over a year ago.

Was it? The only thing I think was discredited was the opinion of when exactly the demographics=destiny prediction would materialize. The fundamental idea is still the same - that Republicans keep digging in with the same shrinking group of voters while not only failing to make inroads with the growing ones, but alienating the ones that they already had. Nothing really has changed. They are still losing out with voters they need to be winning to secure an electoral future, choosing instead to just hope things magically work out on their own.

Personally, I don't think the GOP is going to die out - that seems silly to me given how long both parties have lasted, but it seems to me that a party that is consistently alienating most/all the major growing demographics and doing nothing to change is probably going to have a tough time in the future, when much of their aging base has aged out of the electorate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies