English words that are hard to spell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:55:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  English words that are hard to spell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: English words that are hard to spell  (Read 2443 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »

What everyday words are the hardest to spell?
What English words bother you the most when you try to write them?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »

handkerchief
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »

I spell unfortunately and literally wrongly all the time.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 05:34:55 PM »

goose/geese/moose/meese
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »

Heidi Heitkamp
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »

literaly always gets me....embarassed too.  business gets me sometimes (but not that time apparently).  I often spell one as won for some reason.

edit-I suspect I'm like 14% dyslexic too (if that's a thing)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:56:43 PM »

Benghazi.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »

Receive.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »

Thanks for those examples! I didn't know by now that the plural of moose is moose, too.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »

literaly always gets me....embarassed too.  business gets me sometimes (but not that time apparently).  I often spell one as won for some reason.

Oh yes, embarrassed can be an embarrassing word, too, if you're forced to spell it. Tongue
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 03:41:57 AM »

Pneumonia
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:29:24 AM »

Separator
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »

February
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:35 PM »

Parallel
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 11:54:19 PM »

That lung disease that starts with a P and ends with an s.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 12:00:06 AM »

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 03:56:00 PM »

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis?

That's the one.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »

No spelling issues come to mind, but I can't say "pre-requisite" without sounding like Elmer Fudd.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »

Not quite responsive, but knowing when to use affect versus effect (posters here screw that up often). And then when to use therefor (Word does not know the word therefor exists) versus therefore. The word "rescission" is kind of tricky, a term lawyers use a lot.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 01:29:31 PM »

Not quite responsive, but knowing when to use affect versus effect (posters here screw that up often). And then when to use therefor (Word does not know the word therefor exists) versus therefore.

I didn't even know that that word exists. According to the Oxford dictionary it is archaic.
It may derive from its German equivalent.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »

Do you guys ever get those moments where you are writing something down and you forget easy words like which, how, here, etc.?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »

• deductible
  • maintenance
  • pronunciation

Do you guys ever get those moments where you are writing something down and you forget easy words like which, how, here, etc.?

Many people seem to not know when to use its or it's. Some people also seem to confuse of and have.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »

Not quite responsive, but knowing when to use affect versus effect (posters here screw that up often). And then when to use therefor (Word does not know the word therefor exists) versus therefore. The word "rescission" is kind of tricky, a term lawyers use a lot.
Word comes out of the box intended for general use, not lawyerly use. It's actually good for it to not know therefor since for most people it would be an error.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »

I just searched the forum for the misspelt word deductable and ... WTF Huh Huh Huh ... it really seems to be a difficult word - even though it is a politics-related term.

51 results!!! 🤯

Here are the fifteen latest results:

I am sure there are a lot of "vegetables" in the final bill to pay for all these giveaways (to Rubio, top rate at 37%, medical deductions stags in, state and local income taxes also deductable up to 10K etc etc).  I doubt corp rate going from 20%->21% is enough to pay for all this.  Various GOP sources also says that the sunset of the income tax cuts will still be 2026 instead of earlier so it is most likely not that.  Will be interesting so see what they are.

$150 + $300 = $450. I would gladly pay that if it was realistic. I'm not a fan of paying $800-$900 per month for "insurance" that doesn't even cover dental procedures or come close to meeting the deductable for a normal healthy person. Maybe rich people can afford that kind of tax, but not me.

Funnily, vote for pedro had written the word correctly twice in the same thread:

I wish I could find medical insurance for less than $450 per month. Insurance I will hopefully never need because I'll never meet the $5000 deductible. And dental isn't even covered! I would welcome a mere $450 dental surgery bill.  From my experience an actual dental surgery bill runs in the $thousands.
[...]
At least when you made vehicle insurance mandatory, I can get a discount for no moving violations and no accidents. And you didn't force the insurance companies to cover the DUIs and other bad drivers in with my insurance pool.  Forcing me to buy medical insurance and raising my rates to $10k per year and raising my deductible to $5k per year because I'm healthy and earn a living wage is downright criminal.

More tax-deductable health costs. Very limited public health services. Give health coverage to uninsured children. (CR)

2.  There would no longer be employer based health insurance so those who currently have it will have a higher taxable income as their costs for health insurance would no longer be tax deductable since they no longer exist.  Those who currently have Health Insurance through exchanges or other non-employer based programs would not see a difference in taxable income due to the fact those Health Insurance costs aren't tax deductable.

There is also another ad with a mother talking about how Trump is going to make childcare tax deductable I saw on WADR. Their paid media strategy this week seems to be focused on getting back those college women.

I haven't looked at the breakdown in a couple of years, but we pay $130~ a month for full coverage ($250 deductable) on two newish cars AND $500k of term life for me.  If it was up to me the deductable would be higher and it would only be full coverage on one car.

f. Adoption and foster care credit
I want to make adoption more deductable, as I say in the Foster Care Reform Act, so it would be nonsense to get rid of it here.

Funnily, Potus2036 wrote deductibility correctly in the same post.

c. Deductibility of Medical Expenses
Everyone has medical costs and they're really expensive. Until our federal government can get health costs under control, people need this sort of thing.

Instead of putting a hard cap on executive pay, why not make executive pay that is over 100 times minimum wage non-deductable to the corporation? Right now, companies can right off executive pay on their taxes, which means the tax payer is shouldering the load.

One of my closest friends (best man at my wedding) had his policy cancelled due to the ACA and sought to apply over the government website this past week. The website reportedly worked just fine and has some good live chat features. He replaced his crappy (his description) prior policy with a notably better one with more coverage, lower deductable, and with his subsidy it's about 2/3 the monthly premium of his prior lousy policy.

Say you are on a car trip on a holiday weekend.  You are two states away from your home and there isn't an in network hospital in site for miles.  You get into a bad car accident.  Boom.  Right there that is over $20,000.  Which is your out of network deductable.

Funnily, Link wrote the word correctly twice in the same post:

What? The example I gave was hitting the deductible for 3 years?
[...]
Where do you get the idea just because someone hits their deductible it always means that was their intent? My post made no statement regarding intent.

Guys, guys. I think we can all agree that political activist groups should uniformly be tax-deductable or not--not, IMHO, though I could accept a compromise where the groups not for profit donations received aren't taxable, but said donations are absolutely not tax-deductable for the donors.

And these taxes arent even deductable on their federal return, unless they can itemize and their state income and property taxes happen to be lower than the sales taxes that they paid.

The counter-arguments will be that you can no longer deduct home mortgage interest (I actually think that the encouragement of home ownership has been a boondoggle in the first place so I'm not with this), that it will discourage charitable donations (I actually donate to charities because I appreciate what they're doing, and not because I think it'll give me a tax break; I'd venture a guess that others feel the same way), and that some work-related expenses will no longer be tax deductable.  On this last argument, I don't have an easy answer.  It could be that we could arrange the tax so that the self-employed have a expense voucher indexed to the cost of certain goods.

Nonsense.  What I said is that the study cited was flawed. Having a high deductable health insurance plan is marginally worthwhile. Like all other forms of insurance, the well buy protection against the possibility of becoming sick in the future. As I said, responsible people tend to both live longer and place a higher value on having such insurance.

Health Care: Center-Right: More tax-deductable health costs. Very limited public health services. Give health coverage to uninsured children.

Center-Right: More tax-deductable health costs. Very limited public health services. Give health coverage to uninsured children.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies