Axios:Pelosi ready to quit if it looks like shed lose the floor vote for Speaker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:23:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Axios:Pelosi ready to quit if it looks like shed lose the floor vote for Speaker
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Axios:Pelosi ready to quit if it looks like shed lose the floor vote for Speaker  (Read 6861 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:26 PM »

In the event that the Dems win a narrow House majority....

https://www.axios.com/nancy-pelosi-speaker-crowley-schiff-71bdbab3-5ae8-4186-a6ac-e9f55c0ad357.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:36:30 PM »

Oh just step down now and let the new generation take over Nancy
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:05:01 PM »

I ain't scared for her, she'll whip them votes.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:06:02 PM »

Please let it look like she'd lose the floor vote for Speaker
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:38 PM »

Seriously. She's a fine congresswoman, but this is so long overdue. Leadership needs to get a clue on young blood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:12:31 PM »

Unless said 15 non-Pelosi Dems actually vote for Paul Ryan, there's no chance of a Republican becoming speaker of a Democratic House.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »

I think this is just a play for sympathy votes from Pelosi and her allies. Such a selfless woman, willing to do anything for her party.  Cry Oh btw I'm still running for Speaker; please vote for me.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »

I think this is just a play for sympathy votes from Pelosi and her allies. Such a selfless woman, willing to do anything for her party.  Cry Oh btw I'm still running for Speaker; please vote for me.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:17 PM »

Speaker Tim Ryan coming up
Though I'd prefer a Ro Khanna or Keith Ellison I'm fine with Ryan as long as he doesn't try to push the party right  
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:28:02 PM »

Though I'd prefer a Ro Khanna or Keith Ellison I'm fine with Ryan as long as he doesn't try to push the party right  
Odds are he'll be like Schumer were the party moves him to the left.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 11:32:34 PM »

Yeah, I think this will probably be her last term. A fresh face will probably be a boon for Democrats.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »

Seriously. She's a fine congresswoman, but this is so long overdue. Leadership needs to get a clue on young blood.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 12:56:07 AM »

If Pelosi doesn’t run as Speaker, Steny Hoyer will take her place, and he’s even more conservative than Pelosi. Not Tim Ryan, not Ro Khanna, not Cheri Bustos, it’ll be either Hoyer or Joe Crowley is Hoyer is having too many health issues. The moderate freshman class Dems will happily vote for Hoyer over somebody like Ellison.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 01:03:43 AM »

"politician ready to take quiet way out rather than losing publicly"

Wow. I'm amazed.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »

Apparently the Axios.com writer is a doofus, but failure to vote for Nancy Pelosi /=/ supporting Paul Ryan. The anti-pelosi dems would vote for some other dem, and as a result there would be no majority on the first ballot, and under house rules a second ballot would be called. Assuming Pelosi could not work out a deal to get back the votes of the splinter democrats, the possible outcomes are 1) Dems unify around some other dem and elect them speaker, or 2) After a stalemate is clear, the parties work out some sort of power-sharing agreement and some moderate is elected speaker. But under no circumstances would Paul Ryan (or another R) assume the speakership with all the power that Paul Ryan holds today - because a majority of votes (a plurality is insufficent) would never exist to allow it in a house with 218+ Democrats.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:44 AM »

Pelosi encouraged Democratic congress-members and candidates in 2010 to oppose her as long as it helped their (re)election, and she does the same now.
Can anyone imagine Paul Ryan or Trump (lmao!!!) doing the same?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 05:53:04 AM »

Yeah, I think this will probably be her last term. A fresh face will probably be a boon for Democrats.

It's a bit mindblowing three most senior Democrats in the House are in their 70s (Pelosi is 77, Hoyer 79 and Clyburn 77), while top three Republicans are quite young (Ryan is 48, McCarthy 53 and Scalise 52)..

I held Pelosi in high regard, but the time has come for her to step down, along with Hoyer and Clyburn.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 06:39:43 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2018, 07:15:16 AM by Blair »

I think outside of the 'bubble' we don't understand/appreciate Pelosi enough- she raises an absolutely absurd amount of money (and as 2006 shows she understands how to use it).

I'm not sure how true it was, but if Hillary had won she claimed she would have stepped down- I would have been fine with that, but I think if the Democrats do get the majority then they need someone like Pelosi, someone who knows the caucus, can raise money and knows how to whip the votes.

A lot of the Atlas based opposition is to either A.) Her Age  B.) Her being too liberal/an easy target C.) Her not being liberal enough.

There's roles in parties that voters/members should decide e.g individual reps, President etc and ones where I'm generally happy to defer to the wisdom of people who work with them (General Secretary, Chair, Whip, etc).

We really don't know what her replacement would be like, whether it's Tim Ryan, Cheri Bustos or Joe
Crowley.

FWIW a final point to break up the rhythm: they should get a younger generation of leadership folks in; it's stupid the top three posts being 70+ and directly links to the point above about a lack of measurable talent
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 06:46:36 AM »

That'd be interesting because gaining the majority by ten means the Democrats pick up around 33 seats (might be off by one or so.) I don't see them winning more than 40, so this could be in play. I still think she'd get the votes though.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 07:02:36 AM »

The thing is that I think outside of the 'bubble' we don't understand/appreciate Pelosi enough- she raises an absolutely absurd amount of money (and as 2006 shows she understands how to use it).

I'm not sure how true it was, but if Hillary had won she claimed she would have stepped down- I would have been fine with that, but I think if the Democrats do get the majority then they need someone like Pelosi, someone who knows the caucus, can raise money and knows how to whip the votes.

A lot of the Atlas based opposition is to either A.) Her Age  B.) Her being too liberal/an easy target C.) Her not being liberal enough.

There's roles in parties that voters/members should decide e.g individual reps, President etc and ones where I'm generally happy to defer to the wisdom of people who work with them (General Secretary, Chair, Whip, etc).

We really don't know what her replacement would be like, whether it's Tim Ryan, Cheri Bustos or Joe
Crowley.

FWIW a final point to break up the rhythm: they should get a younger generation of leadership folks in; it's stupid the top three posts being 70+ and directly links to the point above about a lack of measurable talent

She's also one of the best vote whippers of the the past 20 years. Much better than Ryan, Boehner or Hastert.

That being said, Joe Crowley is going to be the leader after Pelosi steps down, not Tim Ryan.
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 07:14:21 AM »

Pelosi encouraged Democratic congress-members and candidates in 2010 to oppose her as long as it helped their (re)election, and she does the same now.
Can anyone imagine Paul Ryan or Trump (lmao!!!) doing the same?

Everyone is missing the fact that she will probably still get the votes, and if she doesn't it isn't going to be some young leader Atlas is obsessed with, but Steny Hoyer. Pelosi is great, I'm sure she whips the votes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 07:48:19 AM »

I must also say that it's pretty comical seeing far-lefties supporting people like Tim Ryan, Seth Moulton or Ro Khanna for the speakership.
Do they even know their positions or they just want to stick it to the establishment no matter what?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »

She'll get the Floor Vote and win Speaker, stop panicking.

She'll retire in 2020 once Trump loses to whoever the Dem is, and then hopefully someone good wins Speaker.

Cheri Bustos will most likely be running for Senate if Durbin is out, if not she could go for Speaker or another House Leadership position.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »

Ryan's running for POTUS, he doesn't want Speaker.

Ellison, Crowley, or God forbid, Moulton, are all more likely.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2018, 09:42:31 AM by We Have A Pope »

Ryan's running for POTUS, he doesn't want Speaker.

Ellison, Crowley, or God forbid, Moulton, are all more likely.

I don’t think Ryan’s running for POTUS (Molton on the other hand...) and wouldn’t be surprised to see him in leadership once Pelosi and Clyburn are gone (he won’t be the next Speaker though).  Ellison isn’t gonna rise beyond his current position and seems to be looking to get out of the House anyway.  My guess is that Crowley will become Speaker whenever Pelosi leaves (which probably won’t happen until she dies).  Hoyer may run, but I doubt he’d beat Crowley.  As for Ro Khanna, I doubt he’ll ever be in leadership and it’s just as well.  We don’t want someone who ran as a proudly corporatist Smiley Smiley #BothSidesDoIt ModerateHero Smiley Smiley and then flip-flopped on everything for political expediency (not unlike Tulsi Gabbard) to be Speaker.  He’s about as trustworthy as Ted Cruz.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies