If you could prevent one thing from being invented, what would it be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:12:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  If you could prevent one thing from being invented, what would it be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If you could prevent one thing from being invented, what would it be?  (Read 2532 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:43:15 AM »

If you could go back in time and prevent one invention, what, if any, invention would you stop?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 02:13:16 AM »

great question.   so many possibilities.

What the name of that thing that in a lot of industrial buildings, offices, schools, etc. they have instead of ceilings these cardboard-type tiles that look really gross and depressing and brake down and get moldy? Maybe there's some reason for them to exist, but I'm going to say those things.  Or maybe fluorescent lights which tend to go together with them.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 06:00:10 AM »

Slavery
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »

Mobile phones.

They have killed society.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 03:19:03 PM »

Mobile phones.

So do you not own one or are you just a hypocrite like all the fake intellectuals online?

I typed that on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge btw Wink
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:58:54 PM »

Mobile phones.

Eh, I think social media has really done the damage. Social media was just a by-product of smartphones and the increase in processing power of personal computers.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:10:08 PM »

Mobile phones.

Eh, I think social media has really done the damage. Social media was just a by-product of smartphones and the increase in processing power of personal computers.

Bruh add me on snap???
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:02:14 PM »

Mobile phones.

and save hundreds of lives every day.  Are the only source of communication with the outside world for billions of poor people around the world.  I could go on and on, but that's more than enough.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »

What the name of that thing that in a lot of industrial buildings, offices, schools, etc. they have instead of ceilings these cardboard-type tiles that look really gross and depressing and brake down and get moldy? Maybe there's some reason for them to exist, but I'm going to say those things.  Or maybe fluorescent lights which tend to go together with them.
The main reason is "drop ceilings are cheaper to install, demo and maintain than the alternatives" secondarily they give a place to put sh**t that you need to get to without it making the room look messy.  In short, cheapness and ease of maintenance for pipes and wires and such.  If you're not doing maintenance or paying for it, I guess you can bitch about the aesthetics, but the people paying for it and working on it aren't going to listen very long unless you've got something better in mind.

Sameish story with the lights.  Cheaper, by far, than the alternative (at the time), easier on the environment if you care about such things, and much easier on, again, the maintenance team who had to go around replacing bulbs all the time.  Florescents last much longer.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »

It has to be something that:
a. was harmful to the environment/humans (tons of things)
II. wasn't all that helpful or was only helpful to a tiny minority of assholes (less things)
3. wasn't an important base or start for some other less negative tech that followed it (fewer still)

fission/"nukes" checks some of those boxes, but it's also been really helpful in other ways, some more arguable than others.

the internal combustion engine, but no, way too much good has come from it.  Lots of generally good things one could make arguments for. 

Maybe it's something some asshole in China or India invented 1800 years ago that the royal court was into for a few decades that involved arsenic (mercury, lead, whatever) in the manufacturing process.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »

The main reason is "drop ceilings are cheaper to install, demo and maintain than the alternatives" secondarily they give a place to put sh**t that you need to get to without it making the room look messy.  In short, cheapness and ease of maintenance for pipes and wires and such.  If you're not doing maintenance or paying for it, I guess you can bitch about the aesthetics, but the people paying for it and working on it aren't going to listen very long unless you've got something better in mind.

Sameish story with the lights.  Cheaper, by far, than the alternative (at the time), easier on the environment if you care about such things, and much easier on, again, the maintenance team who had to go around replacing bulbs all the time.  Florescents last much longer.

well anyway there are safety and health (esp mental) reasons to be concerned about them.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »

Maybe it's something some asshole in China or India invented 1800 years ago that the royal court was into for a few decades that involved arsenic (mercury, lead, whatever) in the manufacturing process.

Like homoeopathy?

Either that or the cotton gin. Though there are a lot of good answers to this question.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

well anyway there are safety and health (esp mental) reasons to be concerned about them.
some light Googling only showed some issues for fire departments, nothing about mental health.  You got something else?

Like homoeopathy?
I like to hate on woo as much as the next guy, but that's probably a little too vague of an answer here I think.  Though it could very well be some specific form of woo. 
You must be logged in to read this quote.
what did the cotton gin do?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »

The potato chip
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 07:25:29 PM »

Mobile phones.

and save hundreds of lives every day.  Are the only source of communication with the outside world for billions of poor people around the world.  I could go on and on, but that's more than enough.

It has to be something that:
a. was harmful to the environment/humans (tons of things)
II. wasn't all that helpful or was only helpful to a tiny minority of assholes (less things)
3. wasn't an important base or start for some other less negative tech that followed it (fewer still)

fission/"nukes" checks some of those boxes, but it's also been really helpful in other ways, some more arguable than others.

the internal combustion engine, but no, way too much good has come from it.  Lots of generally good things one could make arguments for. 

some light Googling only showed some issues for fire departments, nothing about mental health.  You got something else?

Like homoeopathy?
I like to hate on woo as much as the next guy, but that's probably a little too vague of an answer here I think.  Though it could very well be some specific form of woo. 
You must be logged in to read this quote.
what did the cotton gin do?

Alrighty.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:49 PM »

Cars or guns.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »

Condoms, because raw-dogging it is the only way to go, STDs be damned.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 08:08:15 PM »

Is that what you would do with Ms.Yummy?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 08:31:35 PM »

My penis.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:36 PM »

Is that what you would do with Ms.Yummy?
That's a rhetorical question.
dax00

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 06:16:45 AM »

calculus or guns
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »

Probably a drug that's really dangerous.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »

Racism.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 05:19:22 PM »

The cotton gin -because of it, slavery got a new lease on life in the United States, and we were forced to fight a civil war to end that 'peculiar institution'.    
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »

Goose hunting licenses
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length