No, I don't think Buchanan was "the worst"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  No, I don't think Buchanan was "the worst"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No, I don't think Buchanan was "the worst"  (Read 840 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2018, 01:36:33 PM »

Don't get me wrong, he was pretty bad. Actually, he totally deserved to be at the bottom of the bottom, but I honestly doubt any President at that time could have prevented what was pretty much an inevitable (and, let's be honest, historically necessary) clash. The only thing he could probably change was a stronger reaction in the final months of his presidency, when he was already a lame duck.

In my opinion it should be Andrew Johnson who deserves the lowest spot. By 1865 the Southerners were so shellshocked with a defeat, and destruction of their "way of life", they would probably swallow any terms. Johnson, however, pretty much blocked any chances for a fair, proper Reconstruction, instead paving the way for the "Redeemers" reconquest of the Dixie and ensuing long era of Jim Crow, which legacy, despite all progress made on the way, still haunts the United States. Literally the only redeeming factor would be the Alaska purchase, even though it was pretty much Seward's project.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »

They're both truly terrible presidents. I'm not sure that Johnson was necessarily a worse president; even before secession started Buchanan mishandled the Dred Scott case and Bleeding Kansas, then contributed to a split in his own party by opposing Douglas.

However, I would say that Johnson almost certainly had a worse long-term impact. While I can't imagine we would've seen true equality in the South after Reconstruction, it's possible that if Johnson hadn't been so eager to bring back Southern states without true reforms than we might not have seen African-Americans be disenfranchised in the late 19th century.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »

I think Fillmore (for signing the Fugitive Slave Act), Pierce, Buchanan, and Andrew Johnson were the four worst.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 07:26:09 PM »

I think Fillmore (for signing the Fugitive Slave Act), Pierce, Buchanan, and Andrew Johnson were the four worst.

Funny how Harding is frequently lumped with these types as one of the "worst Presidents", even though, while mediocre and tolerating corruption, he had no major disaster under his belt. Nothing comparable to the four fellows above.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 07:49:06 PM »

Funny how Harding is frequently lumped with these types as one of the "worst Presidents", even though, while mediocre and tolerating corruption, he had no major disaster under his belt. Nothing comparable to the four fellows above.
I think the Depression and WWII resulted in a lot of anti-Harding/Coolidge/Hoover revisionism.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 01:52:36 AM »

They're both truly terrible presidents. I'm not sure that Johnson was necessarily a worse president; even before secession started Buchanan mishandled the Dred Scott case and Bleeding Kansas, then contributed to a split in his own party by opposing Douglas.

However, I would say that Johnson almost certainly had a worse long-term impact. While I can't imagine we would've seen true equality in the South after Reconstruction, it's possible that if Johnson hadn't been so eager to bring back Southern states without true reforms than we might not have seen African-Americans be disenfranchised in the late 19th century.

It says something when your Secretary of War's best defense against alleged treason, is that he was so sloppy, incompetent and corrupt that it was almost impossible to prove it one way or the other. I Think Buchanan still has this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »

I think the Depression and WWII resulted in a lot of anti-Harding/Coolidge/Hoover revisionism.

Harding started to get pretty low marks not so long after his death due to all the scandals that surfaced. I'd consider Coolidge as worse, his popularity notwhitstanding.

Hoover actually did benefit a little from said revisionism, as he's at least being acknowledged for starting some (limited) programs that FDR continued and expanded.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies