How do some liberals/Democrats protect themselves without a gun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:14:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How do some liberals/Democrats protect themselves without a gun?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: How do some liberals/Democrats protect themselves without a gun?  (Read 8154 times)
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »

I'm not playing your NRA game of semantics.
That's all you gun freaks do.
Just understand that you, and your freaky kind, are in the minority and will be more and more so, as time passes (and unfortunately, as more and more people are slaughtered in horrible mass shootings).
Call your "style of acceptable" guns what you want, you can refer and classify them as pea-shooters for all I care, it makes no difference.

Sorry, but you're arguing on pure emotion, and not fact.

Let me repeat the FACTS: "Just understand that you, and your freaky kind, are in the minority and will be more and more so, as time passes (and unfortunately, as more and more people are slaughtered in horrible mass shootings)."

iirc I think I said something earlier in this thread something about emotional anti-gun folks.
Congratulations, you're proving that point.

iirc I think I said something earlier in this thread about NRA gun freaks who defend their cause on ignorant gun/weapon semantics.
Congratulations, you're proving that point.

Just because you don't like it and can't come up with a reasonable argument against it doesn't make it ignorant. 

Stop being childish.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »

Just understand that you, and your freaky kind, are in the minority and will be more and more so, as time passes (and unfortunately, as more and more people are slaughtered in horrible mass shootings).
Call your "style of acceptable" guns what you want, you can refer and classify them as pea-shooters for all I care, it makes no difference.

Sorry, but the entire MO of the NRA and other hardcore gun nuts is emotion, not fact.

anti-gun people are much worse about this tbh.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »

Also, whitetail deer hunting isn't the only kind of hunting done in the US, and the methods aren't the same for all types of hunting, so some actually do require more than one shot.

What examples of animal hunting are you referring to?

Duck hunting is a perfect example proving that point.

Other examples where these guns are very useful for hunters are hog, rabbits, seal, etc.

Plus, not all people are experienced hunters, people have to learn somehow, and their first kill may not always go down on the first shot. And if you're hunting larger, more aggressive game, it makes it a heck of a lot safer for the hunter.

LMAO.
Duck hunting!
That is a completely different gun, altogether! This is not "a perfect example proving that point." It's actually the "worse example proving that point."
LOL.
Just what I thought ...... you know nothing about guns .... and thus all your "arguments are invalidated."
Duck hunting ..... Wow!
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »

Also, whitetail deer hunting isn't the only kind of hunting done in the US, and the methods aren't the same for all types of hunting, so some actually do require more than one shot.

What examples of animal hunting are you referring to?

Duck hunting is a perfect example proving that point.

Other examples where these guns are very useful for hunters are hog, rabbits, seal, etc.

Plus, not all people are experienced hunters, people have to learn somehow, and their first kill may not always go down on the first shot. And if you're hunting larger, more aggressive game, it makes it a heck of a lot safer for the hunter.

LMAO.
Duck hunting!
That is a completely different gun, altogether! This is not "a perfect example proving that point." It's actually the "worse example proving that point."
LOL.
Just what I thought ...... you know nothing about guns .... and thus all your "arguments are invalidated."
Duck hunting ..... Wow!

Let me refer you back to the point I was arguing against:

If you need an assault (or a semi-auto) weapon to "hunt," then you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

Here's a handful of popular and often recommended guns for duck hunting:

Browning Auto-5
(semiautomatic shotgun)

Benelli Super Black Eagle
(semiautomatic shotgun)

Beretta A400
(semiautomatic shotgun)

Winchester SX3
(semiautomatic shotgun)

Remington 1100
(semiautomatic shotgun)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »

Sorry, but the entire MO of the NRA and other hardcore gun nuts is emotion, not fact.

anti-gun people are much worse about this tbh.

Nah you meant tbd not tbh
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2018, 10:03:23 PM »

We'll need to start referring to Atlas member fhtagn as the guy who goes duck hunting with an assault gun.

Conversation over.
You are adding nothing to this thread with your pro-NRA, gun semantics drivel.
We need to get back on topic.
Duck hunting! Good-God. LOL.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2018, 10:07:01 PM »

We'll need to start referring to Atlas member fhtagn as the guy who goes duck hunting with an assault gun.

Conversation over.

You do know fhtagn is a girl, right?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »

Conversation over.

You do know fhtagn is a girl, right?

No. My error.
OK, then we need to start referring to her as the girl who goes duck hunting with an assault gun.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2018, 10:26:03 PM by President fhtagn »

Conversation over.

1. I'm not a guy.
2. Learn to read.
3. If you think "semiautomatic" makes something an assault weapon, you're a fool and making those on your side look bad.
4. You're adding nothing to this thread considering you haven't backed up a single one of your responses with facts, just emotional rants.
5. It's cute that you think you accomplished anything when you just got pwned in my last response to you Wink

And to further prove your lack of knowledge when it comes to guns and hunting, I've linked several sources to back my response about semiautomatic shotguns used and recommended for duck hunting below.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/shotguns/12-great-wildfowl-shotguns/
https://www.fieldandstream.com/15-best-duck-and-goose-guns-ever
https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/07/waterfowl-guns-13-great-duck-and-goose-hunting-shotguns/
http://www.gundogmag.com/gear-accessories/15-best-waterfowl-shotguns-for-2017/
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=796665
https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/affordable-semi-auto-duck-guns/
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2018, 10:10:48 PM »

Last year, I fought off an armed would-be mugger without any weapons and I keep a golf club and a can of mace by my bed.  I think I'll be good without a gun.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »

Conservatives, why is Australia is a much safer society than America despite gun ownership not being prevalent?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:02 AM »

Forget home invasions, back in the bad old days you had to pack heat just to gasoline.  I guess liberals had to walk.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »

I think that liberals in general are afraid of guns, soldiers, police, businessmen, etc. Most liberals are afraid of guns because it scares them. Some of them just use it on GOP congressman like Scalise because because they despise them. Oh well. Let the NRA and the liberals fight. I won't mind seeing Civil War II spill on the streets.  America is divided, let's see the war in the streets.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »

I think that liberals in general are afraid of guns, soldiers, police, businessmen, etc. Most liberals are afraid of guns because it scares them. Some of them just use it on GOP congressman like Scalise because because they despise them. Oh well. Let the NRA and the liberals fight. I won't mind seeing Civil War II spill on the streets.  America is divided, let's see the war in the streets.

PEAK BRONZ
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:16 PM »

PEAK BRONZ
definitely
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »

Some American observers say that most gun owners in America are Republicans, Independents and some Democrats.

Most law-abiding American gun owners have a gun for protection and for hunting, while some sick people use it mainly for killing. 

How do the rabid anti-gun liberals and Democrats protect themselves, this is a serious question. Do they rely on the police (law enforcement), which some of them despise due to racial profiling, police brutality?

Or do some of them use baseball bats, etc. as protection?

America isn't some peace-loving nation. We have dangerous people and we should have handguns for protection.

But back to the question, how do some liberals and Democrats protect themselves?

1. Avoiding domestic disputes. More murders result from domestic disputes than from any other cause. Those escalate quickly and are completely unpredictable.

2. Not being involved in illicit activities such as drug trafficking and prostitution. Prevention is the best defense. I'm not saying that liberals are more law-abiding on drugs and prostitution than are conservatives, but it helps.

3. Avoiding bar brawls. In my case I avoid brawls because my blank state can offend people into thinking that I am moving in on a girlfriend or wife. Where liquor is flowing, that is dangerous.

4. Dogs. All dogs intimidate criminals. A crook needs extreme dedication to committing a crime to challenge any dog. Burglars, muggers, and rapists have good cause to avoid an animal above Man in the food chain.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »

I am friends with Andrew Pollack on FB to offer him support so he keeps his head up.

Probably one of the most moving parts of this whole debate has been his resilience and focus to get these things changed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K2v0q2BW9A

Any one of us could have children and end up in his situation, so the gun laws need to change.

AR-15's are not hunting rifles. They are military grade assault rifles used for war.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »

AR-15's are not hunting rifles. They are military grade assault rifles used for war.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2018, 11:20:40 PM »

See, this is part of why I really want to see strict firearms licensing. Ammosexuals are a threat to themselves and their fellow citizens in no small part because they're ignorant about their objects of worship. The dreamer here linked the above picture to try and demonstrate that the two rifles are identical. (Although a fairer case probably could have been made by liking the tactical version of the Mini-14 rather than the fetishists dream that is included.) They're making the case by, accurately, pointing out that the two weapons use the same caliber of ammunition and can use high-capacity magazines.

Now, it is true that many people with no understanding of firearms confuse the terms 'assault rifle' (which the AR-15 is not) with 'assault weapon' (which the bottom rifle pictured absolutely is). But what both the creator of the image and our resident cultist are either willfully ignorant of or deliberately avoiding are the very real differences between the two weapons: stock, rails, grip, muzzle, barrel length, and trigger pull, among other things. Amazingly enough these make a difference on whether the weapon is better for, on the one hand, killing game animals (or vermin) out in the wilderness, or on the other, killing people in close quarters.

By making claims about caliber and magazine availability, the effect is to obscure the very real truth: one of the above weapons is designed to be better at killing people. I have never seen any persuasive reason why such weapons need to be made generally to the public (or law enforcement). 

Another point that gun nuts and NRA shills tend to neglect to mention: there is already a very effective set of regulations limiting (among other things) military firearms: Title II of the National Firearms Act. Fun fact: If you comply with Title II regulations (which are very thorough and a little expensive) you can legally own machine guns (if you can get them), along with a variety of light artillery and other weaponry. And yet, these weapons basically never get used in mass shootings (or used maliciously at all). It's almost as though the tighter regulations act to stop nearly all illegal use, without flat-out banning the devices in question!

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2018, 11:25:21 PM »

Our household has several guns, but I've never even touched them.

To answer the question: I took a few years of taekwondo lessons when I was younger, and although I don't remember most of the finer stuff, I know enough to hold my own in a fight. I also keep a pocketknife in my nightstand in case of a home invasion or something, but I don't take it out and about with me -- when I leave the house, 75% of the time, it's to go to school. Tongue
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »

See, this is part of why I really want to see strict firearms licensing. Ammosexuals are a threat to themselves and their fellow citizens in no small part because they're ignorant about their objects of worship. The dreamer here linked the above picture to try and demonstrate that the two rifles are identical. (Although a fairer case probably could have been made by liking the tactical version of the Mini-14 rather than the fetishists dream that is included.) They're making the case by, accurately, pointing out that the two weapons use the same caliber of ammunition and can use high-capacity magazines.

Now, it is true that many people with no understanding of firearms confuse the terms 'assault rifle' (which the AR-15 is not) with 'assault weapon' (which the bottom rifle pictured absolutely is). But what both the creator of the image and our resident cultist are either willfully ignorant of or deliberately avoiding are the very real differences between the two weapons: stock, rails, grip, muzzle, barrel length, and trigger pull, among other things. Amazingly enough these make a difference on whether the weapon is better for, on the one hand, killing game animals (or vermin) out in the wilderness, or on the other, killing people in close quarters.

By making claims about caliber and magazine availability, the effect is to obscure the very real truth: one of the above weapons is designed to be better at killing people. I have never seen any persuasive reason why such weapons need to be made generally to the public (or law enforcement). 

Another point that gun nuts and NRA shills tend to neglect to mention: there is already a very effective set of regulations limiting (among other things) military firearms: Title II of the National Firearms Act. Fun fact: If you comply with Title II regulations (which are very thorough and a little expensive) you can legally own machine guns (if you can get them), along with a variety of light artillery and other weaponry. And yet, these weapons basically never get used in mass shootings (or used maliciously at all). It's almost as though the tighter regulations act to stop nearly all illegal use, without flat-out banning the devices in question!

If you don't mind, fhtagn, I'd actually like to hear of you have a response to this.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:27 AM »

I don’t understand the question, sorry. Protect myself from what?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »

I don’t understand the question, sorry. Protect myself from what?
people. you can't trust them.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2018, 12:10:54 AM »

Oh, I see now...well I am actually not afraid of black people, immigrants who don’t speak English, and Muslims, really, so I don’t see such items as being necessary.

If anything, I’m more afraid of gun owning white men, particularly Republican ones - I know, I know, correlation is not causation, but I prefer to avoid paranoid, trigger-happy deplorables when I can. Can’t waste your life dealing with waste all the time, you know? Smiley
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2018, 12:13:17 AM »

don't trust anyone not even yourself
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies