HOUSE BILL: Game Moderation Abolition Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:14:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Game Moderation Abolition Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Game Moderation Abolition Act (Tabled)  (Read 1508 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:42:02 PM »
« edited: April 01, 2018, 02:24:43 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
pending
[/quote]

Sponsor: Oakvale
House Designation: HB 1203
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:14:10 PM »

I see no reason at all to abolish the office of Game Moderator. I will most certainly vote no on this unless a very good argument is made by the sponsor in favor of it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »

I have some questions about this statement:

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Game_Moderator#History

By my count the GM existed from mid 2004 until Jan 2007 and from Nov 2008 until now.

Atlasia has existed for 14 years and this position has existed for 85% of Atlasia's existance, how can its absence in 2007-2008 be considered "years long"? At best it looks like a short interregnum.  

Also I am very curious to how this period from 2007 until late 2008 could be considered "the most active Atlasia has ever been"?

Most of what I know of 2008, makes me think of it as being similar to 2012 and 2015, as almost a dark ages of sorts activity wise. Certainly doesn't compare to late mid to late 2009, 2011, mid 2013 through 2014 and so on in activity, all of which seem to be so superior by almost every standard of comparison.

Now 2007 might have been really good, I cannot say for I was not here and frankly none of us present were. But I would really like to know what the basis for this 2007/2008 glorification comes from and why it is superior to a given period that followed after?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »

I will agree there have been many times when the position has not lived up to its potential and was not the driving force of the game that it should have been during periods of time, most notably the inactivity of Ebowed in early 2009, opposition to which helped spur the early career of President Purple State and was a hot topic in my first Senate campaign.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 07:36:46 PM »

What exactly will we get from not having a GM, besides "it's outlived it's purpose"?
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »

What exactly will we get from not having a GM, besides "it's outlived it's purpose"?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2018, 06:14:53 PM by Rep. Oakvale »

Apologies all, work's been crazy the last couple of weeks.

In regards to the comments from my colleagues Reps. Weatherboy, Wxtransit and Politicmasta - my view is very strongly that by abolishing the God we made we will take the dramatic pronouncements of policy impact out of the hands of a removed (this, of course, is dubious!) single individual and instead replace these tablets of stone with debate - we would argue, with evidence of similar policies' impact in the real world or with studies, or on ideological grounds, for the positive or negative results of policy. A leftist Representative would argue virulently, citing the Scandinavian example, that an expansion of the social welfare system would improve societal outcomes, more than justifying the increased tax burden. A conservative Representative would argue against the principle of an ever-expanding state, the vast expense, and the moral hazard of an all encompassing welfare state. And so on.

It would not be perfect, and I cannot claim that abolishing the Game Moderation system will be a panacea. But I think there's a strong case to be made that returning policy impact to the realm of open debate would be a dramatic boon for activity. And, frankly, in years past we've seen that this happens anyway to some extent - when there's a GM report that people disagree with the tendency has been simply to ignore it, or dismiss it as partisan. A sign, surely, of the ineffectuality of the position.

I should be clear - this is not a personal attack on any individual GM. I've spoken many times about how inactivity is a structural problem, not a moral failing. Whatever my distrust of his character, I'll happily concede that 'Crooked Harry' Truman has been a 'good' GM by the established standard. But we cannot always rely on simply finding the needle in the haystack that is a committed and active GM at every stage. At some point, our incumbent will retire, or resign, or go to prison, and we'll be back in the same old position again.

I'm painstakingly going through all of our GMs and drawing up just how much work any of them actually did in office - you know as well as I that it's been, sadly, the norm, not the exception, for a GM to take office, put out a few half-assed unemployment figures, and then resign in disapprobation after a prolonged period of inactivity. It's true that there was only a two year prolonged period where the position was literally vacant, but there's been far more time where the position's being de facto vacant and we were none the worse for it.

I'll post the results of my historic analysis shortly.
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »

Personally, I just support this because I don't believe the position is needed. From what I have seen, the GM is rarely called into play, and in my experience, the Deputy GM has helped more than the regular GM. Now, is that due to the people that hold the offices currently? Maybe, but I don't see the point in keeping either around.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 04:22:10 AM »

And, frankly, in years past we've seen that this happens anyway to some extent - when there's a GM report that people disagree with the tendency has been simply to ignore it, or dismiss it as partisan. A sign, surely, of the ineffectuality of the position.

The biggest problem is that GM is regarded as a fringe benefit. There is very little centrality to the position, it is easy to ignore the GM.

Other games don't operate this way. The GM is at the center of everything and you literally cannot advance without the input of the game moderator. I am thinking of certain games in the game board for instance.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 04:31:48 AM »

I'm painstakingly going through all of our GMs and drawing up just how much work any of them actually did in office - you know as well as I that it's been, sadly, the norm, not the exception, for a GM to take office, put out a few half-assed unemployment figures, and then resign in disapprobation after a prolonged period of inactivity. It's true that there was only a two year prolonged period where the position was literally vacant, but there's been far more time where the position's being de facto vacant and we were none the worse for it.

I'll post the results of my historic analysis shortly.

I look forward to seeing them.

One thing I have looked forward to in this game has been a time when foreign policy has dominated discussion. October was the first time I can remember an election where foreign policy, dominated an election. Part of this was magnified because you had an executive scandal involved. However, I would note that whole episode and the resulting energy that sprung from it, were entirely because the game moderator had been pursuing the Korea story line.

For once, you couldn't ignore the Game Moderator, and people had to take notice lest they find themselves accused of incompetence for not doing x or z before hand.

You are correct that we got by without an active GM, but have we ever had FP matter without the GM? Of course we also have to consider that we had the "Talking to yourself" dynamic with the SoIA/SoS from 2011 until 2015, which would skew the results of analysis. No one really gave a damn with that at work, as you pointed out.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 01:56:57 AM »

I don't like it when I am the last post on an thread that is on-going debate. It means debate has died. Tongue
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 03:40:19 PM »

I motion for a vote to table this.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »

I second this motion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:25:29 AM »

A motion to table has been filed by Representative PoliticalMasta and seconded Representative Wxtransit. A 48 hour vote is now open on the tabling motion, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. This will require 2/3rds to pass.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »

Aye
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »

Aye.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 12:37:03 PM »

aye.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »

aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 03:18:11 AM »

Abstain ftr
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »

Nay, nay, nay.

NAY.

I beg of my colleagues to reconsider their votes to table this bill. I'm aware, of course, that it's largely on my head. I've been working on a spreadsheet of the history of the office - and its lack of activity for large spells where it was technically 'occupied' - over the week. Should I not produce my argument this weekend I will not object to a tabling motion - but I urge you all to, please, reconsider - for now.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »

Nay, nay, nay.

NAY.

I beg of my colleagues to reconsider their votes to table this bill. I'm aware, of course, that it's largely on my head. I've been working on a spreadsheet of the history of the office - and its lack of activity for large spells where it was technically 'occupied' - over the week. Should I not produce my argument this weekend I will not object to a tabling motion - but I urge you all to, please, reconsider - for now.

Alright, I'll change my vote to Abstain for now, but I'm still a fairly hard No on the final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 04:22:16 AM »

sighs in frustration.

I ask unanimous consent to suspend the rules and halt the tabling vote. Representatives have 24 hours to object.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

Objection
RC (a la Frémont)
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -6.96

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »

Nay to the tabling, I don’t see why we need to keep around such an unused office
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:41 PM »

I doubt there is enough votes to suspend the rules at this point so Motion Withdrawn.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies