So, if we were to adopt a "one drop rule"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:16:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  So, if we were to adopt a "one drop rule"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, if we were to adopt a "one drop rule"  (Read 1675 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:55:42 PM »

How many actual "whites" would there be if, according to many white supremacist, mere "one drop" of Black or Asian blood makes you Black or Asian?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »

A lot less than now. The percentage of whites who have African ancestry is higher than you'd expect.

And I'd assume Jews, Arabs, Hispanics, Turks, and, depending on who you ask, Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, and Russians would be excluded too. I'd think less than a third, then.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »

Considering that the first humans were believed to have lived in Africa, quite possibly 0.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »

OP wants to bring Jim Crow back.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »

Considering that the first humans were believed to have lived in Africa, quite possibly 0.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »

Maybe, maybe not. Kalwejt hasn't said what to do with the one drop rule.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »

Maybe, maybe not. Kalwejt hasn't said what to do with the one drop rule.
Maybe he doesn't want to do anything with it and is simply asking this as a hypothetical question, perhaps to even point out hypocrisy with the "one drop rule".
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »

I took a 23 and Me DNA test, and I'm 99.8% of European Ancestry (94% of that being Northern Europe) with 0.2% South Asian ancestry. Guess I'm not white Mock.

I'm guessing that the vast majority of people who push this theory wouldn't be considered white, by their own twisted definition.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »

Just use the Hitler rule. You're a Jew white if 3/4 of your grandparents are white /s
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »

I definitely wouldn't be considered white, given my grandparents were Korean.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 06:02:43 AM »

Lol. In Virginia the elites used to trace their ancestry back to john rolfe and Pocahontas. After they passed the 1 drop rule and decided that indians and blacks were both "colored" they later had to pass a law declaring that Pocahontas didnt count after political opponents told them they weren't white anymore. Race stuff is so stupid.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »

One of my professors said it best: If you go back far enough, even Donald Trump would be Chinese.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »

The country would be like 15% white if this stupid rule was adopted.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 08:52:12 PM »

So? If everyone is treated equally regardless of their race, like the 14th Amendment commands, what difference does it make how small of a percentage white people would be?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 09:03:49 PM »

So? If everyone is treated equally regardless of their race, like the 14th Amendment commands, what difference does it make how small of a percentage white people would be?

People like Famous Mortimer would care very much.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:22 AM »

One of my professors said it best: If you go back far enough, even Donald Trump would be Chinese.

And we're all African.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
« Edited: March 27, 2018, 08:43:45 PM by Apocrypha »

You misread my post, I obviously don't care what % of the population is white, what I was saying  is that this rule  is absurd, and honestly the  idea of race itself is pretty absurd. you can find black people who could pass for white and whites who could pass for black so that alone tells you race  is more a social construct than a real thing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »

You misread my post, I obviously don't care what % of the population is white, what I was saying  is that this rule  is absurd, and honestly the  idea of race itself is pretty absurd. you can find black people who could pass for white and whites who could pass for black so that alone tells you race  is more a social construct than a real thing.

I strongly agree with this part. In fact, the Census Bureau should stop asking for people's "race" because it has no scientific basis. They forgot to add that part into the 1964 Civil Rights Act so we still have racism embedded in official government policy.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »

You misread my post, I obviously don't care what % of the population is white, what I was saying  is that this rule  is absurd, and honestly the  idea of race itself is pretty absurd. you can find black people who could pass for white and whites who could pass for black so that alone tells you race  is more a social construct than a real thing.

I strongly agree with this part. In fact, the Census Bureau should stop asking for people's "race" because it has no scientific basis. They forgot to add that part into the 1964 Civil Rights Act so we still have racism embedded in official government policy.

Obviously race has no scientific basis, but it has huge sociological ones.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »

Yep.  So would everyone else, for that matter.  Go back a few thousand years, and a large majority of all people on Earth at that time were direct ancestors of everyone alive today.  In fact, even if you just go back 1000 years, I'm sure the vast majority of modern day Europeans had plenty of ancestors from outside of Europe at that time.  E.g., all the ancestors I know about were of European ancestry, yet I'd guess that the probability is pretty high that my ancestors included some of the Mongol invaders from the 13th century.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »

Seconded
its_always_beets
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 05:10:47 PM »

You misread my post, I obviously don't care what % of the population is white, what I was saying  is that this rule  is absurd, and honestly the  idea of race itself is pretty absurd. you can find black people who could pass for white and whites who could pass for black so that alone tells you race  is more a social construct than a real thing.

Race really is a social construct! And a harmful one, at that!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies