Best cities for the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:31:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Best cities for the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Best cities for the previous poster  (Read 1992 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »
« edited: March 18, 2018, 05:24:01 PM by Jacobin American »

The purpose of this thread is simple: based on the criteria provided by the previous poster, use the knowledge you have to recommend a city, cities, or particular areas in which you’d recommend for them to live. You may provide whatever criteria you find important, such as local and/or state politics, race, religiosity, cultural attractions, urban/rural, COL (cost of living), and so on. You can answer this for more than one poster if you’d like, but you must include an answer for the previous poster.

I’ll start with myself. I’d like an area that has a large city (at least around 200,000 people in the area), a low COL, a relatively high number of tech jobs, close to great outdoor activities, is secular or at least not Evangelical, and has all four seasons.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »

Minneapolis/St. Paul
Madison, WI
Pittsburgh

For me, I like small-to-medium progressive urban areas, especially college towns, with decent COL.  I want four seasons but fairly mild summers.  I also like varied food and coffee.  I’m a liberal Protestant, and would like a church, but am not socially conservative at all.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »

Eugene, OR
Madison, WI
Iowa City, IA

I like the American West and I'd also prefer places that don't usually get more than a foot of snow, and have medium to hot summers. I don't want to live in a very wealthy area, and it should have a very low cost of living. I don't care about politics a whole lot when determining where to live, as long as it isn't elitist and is fairly socially libertarian. City size doesn't matter a whole lot. I'd also prefer to live near a river.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 08:01:47 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2018, 08:07:07 PM by Scott🦋 »

Carson City, NV seems like an ideal fit for you, though I'm not exactlty sure how much snow northern Nevada gets.

I'm a rural/outdoors guy, pretty religious but also theologically progressive (Episcopalian).  I smoke weed.  I don't like extreme temperatures, so I prefer mild climates that are mostly consistent throughout the year.  Politics matters a little, but for the most part I'd rather just not be surrounded by either rednecks or elitists.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »

Pueblo, colorado?

I'm a person who loves to be outdoors. I also prefer a town that is between the size of 50,000 to 200,000 people. the people who live there have to be middle class/upper middle class and socially libertarian. i prefer to live in a town where elitism doesn't plague the town's atmosphere. I want to live in an area where the cost of living is low/medium. the weather has to be mild too.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:24:59 PM »

Pueblo, colorado?

I'm a person who loves to be outdoors. I also prefer a town that is between the size of 50,000 to 200,000 people. the people who live there have to be middle class/upper middle class and socially libertarian. i prefer to live in a town where elitism doesn't plague the town's atmosphere. I want to live in an area where the cost of living is low/medium. the weather has to be mild too.

Your "no elitism," COL, and weather specifications exclude the Pacific Northwest, which is unfortunate since that place has great scenery. I think your criteria points to one of the more socially liberal parts of Colorado. I don't know if this will satisfy your "no elitism" criterion, but your own suggestion of Pueblo actually seems decent.

Anyways, here's mine:
- A large supply of well-paying tech jobs (obviously, as I like the idea of not starving)
- Would like, as an Asian person, a decently large Asian population, but in a reasonably diverse community (so at least 20% Asian, but an 80% Asian community would be bad)
- Lots of cultural amenities, such as restaurants, museums, concert centers, nightclubs, aquariums, etc.
- Walkable, or at least have public transportation that's not total garbage
- Reasonable cost of living (sorry, SF)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »

I'd recommend the Pacific Northwest. Washington County, OR and King County, WA are both tech areas and have significant Asian populations, and are close to major cities (Portland and Seattle) but unfortunately COL can be high in some areas.

(I'm assuming we can post more than once).

I like the American West and I'd also prefer places that don't usually get more than a foot of snow, and have medium to hot summers. I don't want to live in a very wealthy area, and it should have a very low cost of living. I don't care about politics a whole lot when determining where to live, as long as it isn't elitist and is fairly socially libertarian. City size doesn't matter a whole lot. I'd also prefer to live near a river.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:55 PM »

Sacramento, CA is good for you.

I want to live in a megalopolis. I want it to be fully globalized and fully cosmopolitan--big airport, food from everywhere, tons of immigrants. I don't want an insane COL, but if rent is below $2,000/month for a decent place, particularly near transit, then that's fine. I would rather not have a car. I want the city to be establishment liberal, growing, and full of aspirational people. I want my weather hot and dry as often as possible. It's also important to me to have mountainous topography and a coast nearby.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:40:14 PM »

San Francisco/New Sweden is the most cucked city in the nation if not the world, so that.

I'm a rural/outdoors guy, pretty religious but also theologically progressive (Episcopalian).  I smoke weed.  I don't like extreme temperatures, so I prefer mild climates that are mostly consistent throughout the year.  Politics matters a little, but for the most part I'd rather just not be surrounded by either rednecks or elitists.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:53:05 PM »

Either Boulder, CO or Olympia, WA

I love big cities, good food (burgers and pizza will do just fine), large mass transit system, mix of upscale life and urban decay, very diverse, warm summers and cool winters, with an excellent spring and fall. Don't really care about the politics of it.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »

Greater Chicago or New York

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2018, 10:18:36 PM by Jacobin American »

TDAS04: Bloomington, Indiana; Champaign, Illinois; Iowa City, Iowa; State College, Pennsylvania; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Fargo, North Dakota.

MB: Lewiston, Idaho seems like the perfect spot for you. It has 32,000 people, is located on the Snake and Clearwater Rivers, summers are 89/60 (record is 117) and winters average only 9” of snow, and average rent is under $700 monthly.

Scott: Eugene, Oregon seems like a good spot for you.

Not A Partisan Thug: Boise, Idaho and, to a lesser extent, Asheville, North Carolina.

NJ is Better Than NE: Certain neighborhoods in the Minneapolis area seem like they’d be a perfect fit for you.

Michael Bloomberg: The Los Angeles area seems the closest to perfect for you.

Alt-Centrist: Most cities in the Great Lakes and Northeast would be perfect for you (Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland).

I’d like an area that has a large city (at least around 200,000 people in the area), a low COL, a high number of tech jobs, close to great outdoor activities (especially lakes/rivers and/or mountains), is secular or at least not Evangelical, is walkable or has good public transit, has all four seasons, is multicultural, and is generally well educated and middle to upper middle class.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:40:11 PM »

I think you'd like Denver.

I want to live in a megalopolis. I want it to be fully globalized and fully cosmopolitan--big airport, food from everywhere, tons of immigrants. I don't want an insane COL, but if rent is below $2,000/month for a decent place, particularly near transit, then that's fine. I would rather not have a car. I want the city to be establishment liberal, growing, and full of aspirational people. I want my weather hot and dry as often as possible. It's also important to me to have mountainous topography and a coast nearby.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 10:57:18 PM »

I think you'd like Denver.

Just stay in California!

Please.

[SKIP]
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:09:24 PM »

LA fits you best I think.

Small desert/semi-desert city that doesn't have average winter temperatures below 50F per month. Prefer slightly left wing area but as long as it isn't R+30 or something like that, I'm fine. Don't do drugs, will be educated soon, and want an area of fairly low crime. Would prefer to be near someplace where I could go to a lot of college basketball games. Would like to be either near water or a mountain. Transit isn't a priority for me.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 11:30:25 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2018, 11:45:44 PM by bagelman »

Tucson sounds very good for most of your needs. Mountain, river, college basketball, warm climate, Pima is generally Democratic. Dunno how the crime is, but there's likely nice neighborhoods.

Need a city that won't be flooded or dried up by climate change within the century, for my own personal sense of security. This doesn't mean all coastal cities are out. Politics isn't important unless we're talking about a clear trend towards "socially liberal, fiscally rightist" views, which I suppose is a negative. Machine politics and corruption are more serious negatives. Summers are allowed to be warm, but must be relatively mild. Winters, however, can be as snowy as they please. I'm not interested in drugs, and like most normal people am very disinterested in high crime areas. I don't mind urban decay though, as long as the people aren't decaying me. Having a university where I can continue my education is important, but college sports are not a positive factor. CoL must be reasonable.. I like the outdoors, I have a preference towards secularism, and I'd like to be able to take strolls around town.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 11:54:07 PM »

bagelman: Boise, ID might be a decent fit. They have Boise State (that may be slightly heavy on the athletics, I know their football team is well known in the west). Weather is decent for what you described.

MB: I'd agree that Sacramento would be a pretty good fit for you. The cost of living is starting to creep up though between increased rent and higher gas prices.

I'm looking for a medium sized (100,000-1,000,000) area close (within 3 hours) to national parks. I prefer high temperatures of about 40F to 90F. I'm alright with rain, but I don't really like that much snow (less than 3ft per year). Not in the Central Valley since that's where I'm from. Transit isn't necessary, but I wouldn't mind it. A relatively "hip, young" city would be nice; preferably not a mostly decaying former industrial town; an up-and-coming area would be fine though. Politics are super important, but I'd lean against extremes on either side.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:49:03 AM »

Eugene. Most other places in the Pacific Northwest seem to fit that well too.

A ideal place were the temperature at least doesn't dip below 0 F and above 100 F with room for both extreme weather types. If we're talking about cities in particular, I wouldn't really want too live in any major metropolitan area above 5,000,000 people. In that city I expect their too be more then anything a diversity of ideas and food (don't care for most cultures other then their food) which doesn't shut one strain of thought out. I'm not really into the hipster scene and like more traditionalism in my choice of city, perhaps some older houses or some historical preservations. I also support that city too have easy access to some Lake, River, or Ocean but too have a natural scene also not far away; so perhaps a federal park? No Machine Politics, Corruption, Gang violence/much street violence, and don't care for the demography much and long as it's mostly secular and not dangerously divided. Some sport stadiums, particularly for basketball, should be included. Perhaps a college too which leads to politics — as long as it's not dominated by one ideology it's fine. So no concenus centrism, liberalism, or conservatism with maybe a overall tint of libertarianism. Finally I don't want much a poor area nor a rich area of the United States rather some middle ground dominated mostly by the working class.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 12:03:04 PM »

Fubert Solman: Charlotte, North Carolina should do the trick.

Jake: Reno, Nevada is the closest thing with that kind of criteria.

I'd like a nice, off-beat town around 50,000- 1,000,000 with either coastline or mountains. I'd like San Francisco/Seattle-style summers but with winters that rarely go below 0 F. More on the humid side than the dry side, at least enough that fog is not rarity. The less of a disruptive nightlife, the better...though a good art scene would be nice. I'd prefer politics to not be too extreme either way. If the general feeling of things can be slow-paced and polite, that'd be awesome. The accents had better have a distinction of some kind, rather than that flat, neutral dreck that passes for West Coast accents. And rent shouldn't be too expensive either.

Good luck with that one.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »

Eureka, California

Small desert/semi-desert town/city that doesn't have average winter temperatures below 50F per month. Prefer slightly left wing area but as long as it isn't R+30 or something like that, I'm fine. Don't do drugs, will be educated soon, and want an area of fairly low crime. Would prefer to be near someplace where I could go to a lot of college basketball games. Would like to be either near water or a mountain. Transit isn't a priority for me.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »

Salt Lake City, Utah?

I want a place with a nice climate, affordable rent, beaches, and tons of thick black and/or Hispanic ladies
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »

Mobile, Alabama.

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »

Portland, Maine or Bangor, Maine.  Probably the latter.

I'd want some place a lot quieter than the Chicago Suburbs, and relatively far away from any major city, but not like in the middle of nowhere.  I'd also prefer if I stayed near Chicago so I could still visit my friends.

Bonus:  If it's a swing region in a swing state I'll be very happy.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

Ephraim/Sister Bay

I like a big city with access to lots of nightlife options, culture, and entertainment. The ability to get out of town for the weekend and enjoy the outdoors or a slower pace of life would be nice.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »

NYC sounds good for you, from what I've seen.
Also from cities I have more knowledge of- Tel Aviv sounds perfect for you, it suits every criteria. You might also find Jerusalem surprisingly good.

I prefer a fairly big city where I can have career options, but I don't want it too be too busy or noisy. I do not require that much nightlife, just some. A beach is a good bonus. I'm gay but I don't require a huge gay scene, just at least a strong community. However, I'd be happy to be able to walk with my (currently nonexistent) bf hand in hand without being murdered\beaten\insulted\stared.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies