Kamala Harris profile in Vogue
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:20:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris profile in Vogue
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris profile in Vogue  (Read 2411 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:28:45 AM »

Vogue has a new profile of Kamala Harris here:

https://www.vogue.com/article/kamala-harris-interview-vogue-april-2018

Including this pic of young Kamala with her mother:

The profile briefly recounts her life story, and then spends a few paragraphs on her Senate career:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, Cory Booker on Harris 2020:

Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2018, 04:30:01 PM by Da2017 »

Wow she is lot warmer than Clinton. I hope this will be kind of Harris on the campaign.
Joey1996

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »

Did Booker just ruin his shot at the nomination? ☺
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

Maybe he wants to be Veep or some cabinet official?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2018, 08:49:56 PM by Mr. Morden »

Booker praises everyone (though, sure, he's more friendly to Harris than others), so I wouldn't read too much into it.  I mean, he frequently talks about how he loves Donald Trump:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/10/cory-booker-2020-profile-feature-donald-trump-215814

I don't think we can assume that he's going to opt out of a 2020 race just because his friend(s) is/are running.  He'll just spend all his time at the debates talking about how much he loves everyone onstage, and how blessed the country would be to see any one of them elected president.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »

I remember listening to Kamala at the Women's March say the same thing about "women's issues," and it was great. Glad she's still keeping that up. It's a very good way of appealing to people (and I hate to use this phrase but there's no other way to put it) who love the "identity" aspect of politics, while also reassuring the rest that she has her eyes on the issues and the big picture. Whenever I find myself doubting Harris all I have to do is look at her speeches or read something like this Vogue profile and then I remember why she's at the top of everyone's list for 2020.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »

I remember listening to Kamala at the Women's March say the same thing about "women's issues," and it was great. Glad she's still keeping that up. It's a very good way of appealing to people (and I hate to use this phrase but there's no other way to put it) who love the "identity" aspect of politics, while also reassuring the rest that she has her eyes on the issues and the big picture. Whenever I find myself doubting Harris all I have to do is look at her speeches or read something like this Vogue profile and then I remember why she's at the top of everyone's list for 2020.

I agree, it's an excellent way to link social and economic issues. It is an outright truth that these issues are correlated. I was always willing to support Kamala Harris but this article actually convinces me even more that she wouldn't be such a risky nominee as some others may she think she is. I mean, let's not beat around the bush, she is absolutely running in 2020.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »

Potential vulnerabilities revealed from this piece.

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »

I really love Kamala, and it would be amazing to see her lead the free world one day.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 08:46:47 PM »

Booker praises everyone (though, sure, he's more friendly to Harris than others), so I wouldn't read too much into it.  I mean, he frequently talks about how he loves Donald Trump:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/10/cory-booker-2020-profile-feature-donald-trump-215814

I don't think we can assume that he's going to opt out of a 2020 race just because his friend(s) is/are running.  He'll just spend all his time at the debates talking about how much he loves everyone onstage, and how blessed the country would be to see any one of them is elected president.

Booker praises everyone, this quote from Warren is more significant:

‘Under political pressure from homeowners to accept a $4 billion settlement from the country’s five largest mortgage servicers, Harris refused. Californians eventually got $20 billion instead. “It’s not just about how much money was in the settlement,” says Senator Elizabeth Warren. “It’s how aggressively Kamala and her team stayed after the banks to make sure they followed through.”
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »

Kamala Harris is the acceptable face of liberalism. But at least it's better than Trumpism.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 06:48:19 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2018, 06:51:26 AM by WestVegeta »

Am I smelling Attorney General Booker (and then Senator Gottheimer)?

Kamala's sounding amazing right now, but I don't know if 2020 will be a good year for the Democrats. I'm getting a "poisoned chalice" vibe from '21-'25, like the 2005-2009 term. Buuuuut Harris '24 sounds pretty dope.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »

I quite like Kamala Harris. She would probably make for a good president, my only concern is the fact that's she's still in her first term as a senator. She'd be a great running mate for Joe Biden, and could probably become president after his term.
James Monroe

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »

And people are still underestimating her chances at the nomination.

The party base are going to turnout for her when she runs in 2020. The Obama coalition will be the true grace that will push this amazing individual to the White House.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »

Potential vulnerabilities revealed from this piece.

The second one is definitely a vulnerability. I won't deny that. But the first one should not be an issue. The death penalty is a pointless exercise in satisfying some people's most primal urges. She has every right to defend herself from that one. It's not being anti-police officer though I'm sure the right will still smear her as that.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »

I think she is underestimated. Even with the baggage she still has far less than Clinton.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 11:13:42 PM »

She does have baggage, but it's far less than the rest of the field, and especially Clinton.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 12:30:43 AM »

It's like I've said all along, she holds both the good and the bad of Obama and Hillary. As a consequence, she is both underestimated and overhyped, could vault past the rest of the field, or go down in flames before it all begins.

I imagine if her career had started in Las Vegas or Albuquerque, responses here would be less lukewarm and a bit more receptive.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »

Am I smelling Attorney General Booker (and then Senator Gottheimer)?

Kamala's sounding amazing right now, but I don't know if 2020 will be a good year for the Democrats. I'm getting a "poisoned chalice" vibe from '21-'25, like the 2005-2009 term. Buuuuut Harris '24 sounds pretty dope.

I had in 2016 and still have that same vibe about the 2017-2021 term. I said the second Obama was re elected in 2012 that if he didn't see a recession in his second term, whoever won in 2016 would in their term and I still maintain that there's a good chance that a recession hits in 2019 or 2020.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »

If the steel and aluminum tariffs go through, sure. That would accelerate the recession. However, from what I've heard, there aren't any major signs of a recession happening before 2020 other than "hasn't this growth period been a little too long?". Powell's more dovish that Yellen was, so I don't even think we'll see an interest rate issue.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 06:50:02 AM »

It's like I've said all along, she holds both the good and the bad of Obama and Hillary. As a consequence, she is both underestimated and overhyped, could vault past the rest of the field, or go down in flames before it all begins.

I imagine if her career had started in Las Vegas or Albuquerque, responses here would be less lukewarm and a bit more receptive.
Agree with this. Although I feel like the statement about obama and Hillary simply relates to her being a woman and a poc not sure she holds that much of Hillary at least bar being female.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »

If the steel and aluminum tariffs go through, sure. That would accelerate the recession. However, from what I've heard, there aren't any major signs of a recession happening before 2020 other than "hasn't this growth period been a little too long?". Powell's more dovish that Yellen was, so I don't even think we'll see an interest rate issue.
There are plenty of warning signs out there:

- A possible all-out trade war

- There are already pretty solid signs of a stock market bubble. Depending on how hard the correction will be, this could result in quite a bit of economic turmoil.

- Possible lack of qualified labour resulting in rising inflation.

- The debt crisis could easily escalate quickly with Trump running stupendously large deficits in a booming economy.

I think we could very well have a recession or at least a period of very weak growth and rising unemployment come 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies