Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:18:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 74706 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »

Invisible Obama is from a state that voted the Terminator in office twice (3 times including the recall election)....

And that is how I know that it's not a great idea to elect actors with zero government experience to the Governor's mansion.
kyc0705

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2018, 03:26:20 PM »

You can't accuse somebody of propagating conspiracy theories, like you did with AndrewCA, and then try to weasel your way out of further discussion.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »

Her announcement video is incredibly well put together. It will resonate in the struggling urban areas upstate and needs to be broadcast there as much as possible.

As far as Andrew Cuomo is concerned, his "experience" is in everything that's wrong with politics - corruption, grift, blackmail, and lies. That disqualifies him from office in my view. We'll never overcome these things if we don't stand up against them.

Candidates for office aren't just one person. They are a team that stands for a certain vision. If Nixon were to win, she'd surround herself with people that would help her achieve the goals that she's set out just like any other elected official.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

What exactly are her qualifications to be Governor? Like Cuomo or not, Nixon is not qualified to be Governor of a state. You don't just reach for an executive office without any political experience.

This is a silly argument. Perhaps the case can be made that there would be an "experience gap" for somebody running for president without any prior career in government, but offices below that are increasingly less relevant to that point. What "qualifies" someone to run for Congress? For statewide office? For mayor? For city council?

Why is Cynthia Nixon's extensive history as a political activist irrelevant? It's nearly as much a part of her public profile as acting.

She simply doesn't have enough experience being a corrupt establishment hack, duh.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 03:31:19 PM »

"Qualification" is the most overused and the most meaningless word in the political lexicon.

Trump would agree.

James Buchanan was said to be perhaps the most qualified individual to ever become President. Anyway, how exactly would you define "qualifications"?

At least having some sort of government position of authority that involves decision making whether it be appointed or elected.
Joey1996

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »

Teachout for Lieutenant Governor?
kyc0705

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »

"Qualification" is the most overused and the most meaningless word in the political lexicon.

Trump would agree.

James Buchanan was said to be perhaps the most qualified individual to ever become President. Anyway, how exactly would you define "qualifications"?

Precisely. That's why candidates need to be evaluated as individuals, rather than blanket dismissals or approvals. History shows us this:

Buchanan: State legislator, 5 term Congressman, Judiciary Committee Chair, diplomat to two countries, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State.

Lincoln: State legislator, 1 term Congressman.

Trump had no political experience, and he had 40 years in the public sphere as a bigoted, dishonest, and irresponsible self-aggrandizing blowhard. That was why the red flags were there immediately.

At least having some sort of government position of authority that involves decision making whether it be appointed or elected.

The use of power and decision-making is replicable across all walks of life and all professional fields. Politics just happens to be more visible. Ultimately, politicians are just as self-interested as everyone else, and there's no guarantee that they're automatically more "qualified" to handle a particular office.
Joey1996

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »

Her announcement video is incredibly well put together. It will resonate in the struggling urban areas upstate and needs to be broadcast there as much as possible.

As far as Andrew Cuomo is concerned, his "experience" is in everything that's wrong with politics - corruption, grift, blackmail, and lies. That disqualifies him from office in my view. We'll never overcome these things if we don't stand up against them.

Candidates for office aren't just one person. They are a team that stands for a certain vision. If Nixon were to win, she'd surround herself with people that would help her achieve the goals that she's set out just like any other elected official.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »

What exactly are her qualifications to be Governor? Like Cuomo or not, Nixon is not qualified to be Governor of a state. You don't just reach for an executive office without any political experience.

This is a silly argument. Perhaps the case can be made that there would be an "experience gap" for somebody running for president without any prior career in government, but offices below that are increasingly less relevant to that point. What "qualifies" someone to run for Congress? For statewide office? For mayor? For city council?

Why is Cynthia Nixon's extensive history as a political activist irrelevant? It's nearly as much a part of her public profile as acting.

She simply doesn't have enough experience being a corrupt establishment hack, duh.

It's not even about that. If this was a Republican actor or actress with no experience in government entering the race I think more people on the board would be of my opinion. This isn't even about ideology, it's about not turning government into yet another outlet of show business.
kyc0705

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »

This isn't even about ideology, it's about not turning government into yet another outlet of show business.

You're way too late if you want to stop that. By upwards of a century, if not more. I think you're buying too much into the notion that politicians are autonomous policy experts who genuinely want to improve the well-being of anyone besides the people who will vote for them. Most of the grunt work is done by unelected bureaucrats in the inner-circle of an elected official.
Joey1996

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »

It's not even about that. If this was a Republican actor or actress with no experience in government entering the race I think more people on the board would be of my opinion. This isn't even about ideology, it's about not turning government into yet another outlet of show business.

Do you argue this when Al Franken ran for Senate?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »

I never really followed that race, but considering how his tenure ended it would have been better to have someone else in that office.
kyc0705

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »

I never really followed that race, but considering how his tenure ended it would have been better to have someone else in that office.

Does anyone know if this is more of a red herring fallacy or a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy? I like to be precise with terminology.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2018, 03:49:18 PM »

But Alcee Hasting had plenty of experience being a federal judge, so he's allowed to stay despite sexual harassment. Hmm.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »

It’s fair to say that Nixon doesn’t have as much experience as Cuomo; but she’s clearly an engaged activist who understands the issues.

I know people who’ve never worked in politics who’d be great MPs and I know people who’ve served as councillors for years who’d be awful MPs.

As long as you consider the lack of traditional experience when you vote it’s fine.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »

I hope she can get some big endorsements (Bernie, Warren, Jay Z, etc), and can build a big grassroots following.

Huh Why did you put Jay Z with two perfectly fine public servants?

Also, meh. She's probably going to lose the primary, and I don't really mind either way.
Joey1996

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »

I hope she can get some big endorsements (Bernie, Warren, Jay Z, etc), and can build a big grassroots following.

Huh Why did you put Jay Z with two perfectly fine public servants?

Also, meh. She's probably going to lose the primary, and I don't really mind either way.

Jay Z is from New York, politically involved, and his endorsement has been sought out by Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »

It’s fair to say that Nixon doesn’t have as much experience as Cuomo; but she’s clearly an engaged activist who understands the issues.

I know people who’ve never worked in politics who’d be great MPs and I know people who’ve served as councillors for years who’d be awful MPs.

As long as you consider the lack of traditional experience when you vote it’s fine.

This, basically. I don't mind Cuomo as much as some do here (he's a corrupt politician but he's done some good things), but if I hated Cuomo as much as I hated say Tom Carper, I'd be inclined to support Cynthia Nixon.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »

Not everyone should need to ascend up the political ladder; it's important if we occaisionally get a Jesse Ventura or Ronald Reagan or John Glenn to shake things up.

Is it important for a President to have political experience? I'd argue yes (to some degree). But putting the same restriction on Governors and Senators is restricting us to a rigid farm system, which is a bad idea and creates a gap between the party's members and its elected officials.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »

Not everyone should need to ascend up the political ladder; it's important if we occaisionally get a Jesse Ventura or Ronald Reagan or John Glenn to shake things up.

Is it important for a President to have political experience? I'd argue yes (to some degree). But putting the same restriction on Governors and Senators is restricting us to a rigid farm system, which is a bad idea and creates a gap between the party's members and its elected officials.

That last part is pretty much exactly how the NY democratic party works, and it's the reason why no one other than Nixon is stepping up to challenge Cuomo. Most of the time, we don't even get to pick our candidates. Schumer was nominated by acclimation at a party convention and faced no challenger. He was elected, sure, but there was no real choice involved by the voters. So if we want to challenge an incumbent, it's almost universally going to be someone outside the NY dem establishment just because of how the state and the party works. If we want to challenge Cuomo, it's pretty much the only option we have. At least Nixon seems pretty passionate and intelligent.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »

Do Tom Carper and Mazie Hirono have primary challengers yet?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 04:42:21 PM »

I hope Nixon beats Cuomo but saying that her lack of experience in elective office is somehow a plus, that's the stupidest thing I've read today. All things equal, it's always better to have a seasoned candidate rather than an inexperienced one.
Joey1996

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »

Not that I know of, doubt Gabbard would run against Hirono. Rep. Rochester would be an interesting primary challenger for Carper.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »

Not that I know of, doubt Gabbard would run against Hirono.

Gabbard is just as bad as Hirono.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 05:00:30 PM »

Hirono is quite good but IIRC Carper got a challenger a while back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies