Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:15:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36]
Author Topic: Actress Cynthia Nixon of Sex and the City to run for NY Governor  (Read 74714 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: September 27, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »

Any word on if Nixon is staying on the WFP line?

The wheels are moving to get Nixon off the WFP line. The NY Post reported that the WFP nominated the WFP placeholder in Nixon's Assembly District to a judgeship. This should open up Nixon being nominated for Assembly in her home district.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/26/working-families-party-looks-for-new-ballot-position-for-cynthia-nixon/

That doesn't mean it is a done deal, though. The article says that the WFP is still evaluating their options.

As an added wrinkle, RRHElections says the WFP would also have to find a way to get Williams off and Hochul on the WFP line for the WFP votes to count for Cuomo/Hochul. The WFP's Williams plans are not clear. I don't think Williams is a lawyer, so according to RRH Elections, he can't be nominated for a judgeship. And he's already a New York City Councilman, so it's not clear whether he would even want to run for anything else.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #876 on: October 04, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »

The WFP has given Cuomo a deadline tomorrow to accept their ballot line. Any chance at all he doesn't take it?e 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/nyregion/cynthia-nixon-andrew-cuomo-wfp-ballot-election.html
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #877 on: October 07, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »

Cuomo accepted the Working Families Party line. Nixon will be on the ballot for Assembly in Manhattan, but endorse the Democrat and not actively campaign.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/05/cuomo-agrees-to-run-on-working-families-party-line/
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #878 on: October 08, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »

Lame.

Unless the WFP is actually scared they'd come in with under 50,000 votes (I don't see how they couldn't get at least that many with how many Nixon/Teachout supporters there are) they should have stuck to their principles and not reward Cuomo for breaking them. 
Duke of York

« Reply #879 on: October 08, 2018, 11:03:28 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2018, 11:07:04 PM by Duke of York »

With Nixon off the ballot its probably  near certainty that Cuomo at the very least matches his 2014 numbers but its very possible he gets close to sixty percent and carries much more of upstate then he did in 2014

The name of this thread should be changed to New York mega thread
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #880 on: October 10, 2018, 08:53:47 AM »

The name of this thread should be changed to New York mega thread

^^^^
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #881 on: October 10, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »

Lame.

Unless the WFP is actually scared they'd come in with under 50,000 votes (I don't see how they couldn't get at least that many with how many Nixon/Teachout supporters there are) they should have stuck to their principles and not reward Cuomo for breaking them. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #882 on: October 11, 2018, 02:23:33 PM »

Cuomo accepted the Working Families Party line. Nixon will be on the ballot for Assembly in Manhattan, but endorse the Democrat and not actively campaign.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/05/cuomo-agrees-to-run-on-working-families-party-line/

Yeah, this is great news for Cuomo. I hope he breaks 60% and crushes the opposition in downballot races as well.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #883 on: October 19, 2018, 02:14:25 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2018, 02:18:26 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Cuomo seems to have little interest in a debate with his GOP challenger. Sad there was no better primary challenger than Nixon.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #884 on: October 31, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »

Scary moment in last night's AG debate, for the dozens of people watching:

This is disqualifying.

I oppose state-sanctioned executions, but they aren't always a make-or-break issue for me.

But someone who claims to oppose them, but with special exceptions for cases in which retribution becomes politically convenient? That person is dangerous. The prospect of having one as our Attorney General is actually frightening.

Yeah, that is ridiculous and awful.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #885 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »

This is disqualifying.

I oppose state-sanctioned executions, but they aren't always a make-or-break issue for me.

But someone who claims to oppose them, but with special exceptions for cases in which retribution becomes politically convenient? That person is dangerous. The prospect of having one as our Attorney General is actually frightening.

I'm a Jew and I don't even want Bowers to be executed. Capital punishment accomplishes nothing practical. It's just wasteful cruelty. This was a bad answer by James. She should have just said she was against it. Done. She's a Democrat running in New York. She doesn't need to pander to Jews like this, if that's what this was in fact about.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #886 on: November 01, 2018, 12:22:00 AM »

Yeah, I f**king hate these "I oppose the death penalty but..." people. If you take a moral stance then you should take it even when it's inconvenient or even unpleasant.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #887 on: November 01, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »

This is disqualifying.

Vote Wofford, then. I find the idea of Tish James as AG frightening, but for different reasons - like she's a product of the de Blasio and Cuomo machine and will do nothing to fight corruption in the state.

Mods - can we please change the title of this thread, now that Nixon is long, long gone from the governor's race?
Dipper Josh

« Reply #888 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:16 PM »

Lame.

when left wingers run independent/Green Party and in this case WFP campaigns in the general election they get horribly maligned by the media.

WFP doesnt want to piss people off, they just want to do some good and support primary progressives when they can.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #889 on: November 05, 2018, 12:38:42 AM »

This is disqualifying.

I'm a Jew and I don't even want Bowers to be executed. Capital punishment accomplishes nothing practical. It's just wasteful cruelty. This was a bad answer by James. She should have just said she was against it. Done. She's a Democrat running in New York. She doesn't need to pander to Jews like this, if that's what this was in fact about.

James is probably also for the death penalty for parked cars that she walks into.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #890 on: November 05, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »

This is disqualifying.

I do support the death penalty in this case, but not because Bowers is a Republican, but because if Bowers had his way, he would be going into more synagogues and killing more Jews...or maybe he would go into mosques and kill Muslims instead.

Besides, there's a decent chance the jury chooses to give him life in prison without parole, if they have to choose.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #891 on: November 09, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

Congrats to Governor Andrew Cuomo for breaking the all-time total votes record. King Andy received about 3.3 million votes, that is a new record, surpassing the previous one from Nelson Rockefeller in 1970.
Kodak
United States

« Reply #892 on: November 09, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »

Congratulations to the SAM and Libertarian Parties for achieving automatic ballot access in New York!

And good riddance to the WEP and Reform Parties!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #893 on: November 10, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »

So, now that Democrats finally have the trifecta, can they gerrymander the GOP out of existence?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies