Pat Buchanan: GOP could be looking at another 1930
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:45:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pat Buchanan: GOP could be looking at another 1930
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pat Buchanan: GOP could be looking at another 1930  (Read 2117 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »

http://buchanan.org/blog/is-the-gop-staring-at-another-1930-128908

[quote]
Republicans lately congratulating themselves on a dominance not seen since 1928, might revisit what happened to the Class of 1928.

In 1930, Republicans lost 52 House seats, portending the loss of both houses of Congress and the White House in 1932 to FDR who would go on to win four straight terms. For the GOP, the ’30s were the dreadful decade.

The problem for Republicans may be found in a truism: When the economy is poor, the economy is the issue. When the economy is good, something else is the issue.

A good economy did not save the GOP in the 18th Congressional District of Pennsylvania, where the party’s tax cut was derided by Democrat Conor Lamb as a wealth transfer to the rich. Nor did Lamb hurt himself by implying Republicans were planning to pay for their tax cut by robbing Social Security and Medicare.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »

Wow I’m shocked.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 08:45:02 PM »

Sometimes Pat Buchanan lays a golden turd.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »

I ask again, whose bright idea was it to invest so much in Trump?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 01:17:44 AM »

Look on the bright side, the GOP is just another "investor" that Trump will cause to go bankrupt in a long line of failed ventures:

A Complete List of Donald Trump’s Business Disasters

GOP=party of Lincoln, bankrupted and destroyed by Trump
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »

Look on the bright side, the GOP is just another "investor" that Trump will cause to go bankrupt in a long line of failed ventures:

A Complete List of Donald Trump’s Business Disasters

GOP=party of Lincoln, bankrupted and destroyed by Trump

If they still were the 'party of Lincoln' they wouldn't have fallen prey to a con-artist like Trump. The GOP chose to abandon morals, decency, and common sense long ago. Their destruction is inevitable. Trump is just the mechanism, not the root cause.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 10:23:58 AM »

Worth pointing out that Buchanan correctly predicted the “Ferguson effect” powering the GOP over the finish line in 2014. As much as I dislike him and disagree with his views, he does know what he’s talking about.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:42:52 PM »

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:08:17 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2018, 04:20:29 PM by Beet »

In 1930, the economy was going into a depression. Today, the economy is booming. It did help Saccone, although not enough to pull it off because he was a bad candidate, and his opponent was a good one, and this was an ancestrally Democratic area. But even then he nearly won. The economy will be even better by November if this keeps up.

I think the GOP will be fine in the midterms, and keep both chambers.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »

In 1930, the economy was going into a depression. Today, the economy is booming. It did help Saccone, although not enough to pull it off because he was a bad candidate, and his opponent was a good one, and this was an ancestrally Democratic area. But even then he nearly won. The economy will be even better by November if this keeps up.

There's a political proverb that when the economy is bad, the economy is the issue.  But when the economy is good, other issues take precedence.  The GOP's problem is that other issues are bad for them.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »

I would not be so sure. While I think that they will probably keep the Senate, I believe that the House has a serious possibility of flipping.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »

I would not be so sure. While I think that they will probably keep the Senate, I believe that the House has a serious possibility of flipping.
I'd think the Senate has a higher chance, but I think both chambers will flip.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »

This post sounds like something that I would expect from King Lear; not a moderator.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

The economy was also "booming" in the Gilded Age. The economy was also booming in 2000.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2018, 08:17:51 PM by Calthrina950 »

I'm not ruling it out. Given what has occurred in Alabama, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, Democratic wins in Tennessee, Mississippi, and even Texas would not be too far out of the realm of possibility. But it would also depend on Democrats retaining hold of all their red-state seats, and some (i.e. North Dakota, Indiana, Missouri), could still flip even with this environment.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »

Wasn't the economy booming in 1994 as well when Clinton lost Congress?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »

The economy was booming in 1968, 2000, and 2016 too.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »

What? How on earth does the Senate have a better chance of flipping than the House? The Senate map is one of the toughest for Dems in recent memory.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »

What? How on earth does the Senate have a better chance of flipping than the House? The Senate map is one of the toughest for Dems in recent memory.
Arizona and Nevada are already tilt D, and I doubt they lose any already-held seats; if one is lost then one of the three Texas, Tennessee, or Mississippi special will make up for it (I'd guess the Dems win one out of those).
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2018, 09:22:42 PM by DTC »

Look at where Conor Lamb won. Given this drivel, I'm not sure you have really put any thought or analysis into it.

He got dominated in the ancestrally democratic area.

But he won a sh!tton of districts that had republican ID in the allegheny suburbs. The allegheny suburbs are not "ancestrally democratic" whatsoever. They are actually ancestrally republican.

Conor Lamb had to have won many people who had been voting Republican all their life to do as well as he did in the allegheny suburbs.

2018 is going to be a YUGE dem wave no matter how much concern trolls like you, Beet, say otherwise.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies