Scottish man convicted for making anti-Semitic joke on YouTube, faces jail time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:06:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Scottish man convicted for making anti-Semitic joke on YouTube, faces jail time
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this outcome justified?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Scottish man convicted for making anti-Semitic joke on YouTube, faces jail time  (Read 1129 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Newsweek

Patently absurd.

This is one thing the United States objectively does better than almost any other country: protect free speech.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 02:59:50 PM »

yeah, that's ridiculous.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »

Accidentally votes yes since I thought the question was "was this ridiculous".
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

As much as we worry about foreign governments and groups taking away our freedoms, it's scary to see the West willingly abandon the principles that have made it the light of the world.

Obviously this guy made a horrible, tasteless joke, but it was just that, a joke. When government can start to dictate what jokes people can and can't make, the future does not look bright.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »

Obviously not (supports free speech)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »

It may be justified in the legal sense that Scotland may lack any kind of law offering vigorous protection to freedom of speech.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »

As much as we worry about foreign governments and groups taking away our freedoms, it's scary to see the West willingly abandon the principles that have made it the light of the world.

Obviously this guy made a horrible, tasteless joke, but it was just that, a joke. When government can start to dictate what jokes people can and can't make, the future does not look bright.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 05:07:32 PM »

Hopefully he lost his girlfriend
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:06 PM »

I'm not fussed by this at all.

The Holocaust, like any act of genocide is mankind's greatest assault on itself in our shared history. It's an event that's the closest thing to sacrosanct. It is never,under any circumstances, funny. No matter how hard people protest. There is dark humour to be found within it of course; survival, escape, testimony but the act of genocide isn't funny.

'Gas the Jews' isn't funny or edgy. It is offensive.

Genuinely free speech would allow me to say anything I want about anyone I want without repercussion. I could call people nonces, kiddy fiddlers, pa-kis, k-kes. People next to me on the bus as fat f-cks, ugly c-nts etc.

People who advocate that (online 'edgebois') just don't want the right for there to be repercussions, for people to stop them or question them. Which perversely is anti 'free speech.'
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:16:21 AM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:14:26 AM »

The Holocaust, like any act of genocide is mankind's greatest assault on itself in our shared history. It's an event that's the closest thing to sacrosanct. It is never,under any circumstances, funny. No matter how hard people protest. There is dark humour to be found within it of course; survival, escape, testimony but the act of genocide isn't funny.

Genuinely free speech would allow me to say anything I want about anyone I want without repercussion. I could call people nonces, kiddy fiddlers, pa-kis, k-kes. People next to me on the bus as fat f-cks, ugly c-nts etc.

People who advocate that (online 'edgebois') just don't want the right for there to be repercussions, for people to stop them or question them. Which perversely is anti 'free speech.'

No one's (except for the hardest core libertarians and they aren't arguing here) idea of "genuine free speech" is 100% uninhibited speech though. You may as well argue that "genuine freedom of movement" would allow home invasions. Obviously there are commonly accepted limits on rights, like violating others' rights. There's a reason why libel and harassment laws haven't been struck down by the courts.

Given the massive potential for abuse by the state when limiting rights like free speech, it seems prudent that we tread very carefully when placing said limits. The question is, why are we punishing this person's speech? He isn't libelling anyone, or harassing someone on the street. The answer seems to be: his speech was a obnoxious, idiotic and distasteful. I agree that his speech was horrendous, but it doesn't remotely rise to the level where the state needs to punish it. Indeed human rights seem rather hollow if they can only be used in "acceptable" ways.

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »

No one's (except for the hardest core libertarians and they aren't arguing here) idea of "genuine free speech" is 100% uninhibited speech though. You may as well argue that "genuine freedom of movement" would allow home invasions. Obviously there are commonly accepted limits on rights, like violating others' rights. There's a reason why libel and harassment laws haven't been struck down by the courts.

Given the massive potential for abuse by the state when limiting rights like free speech, it seems prudent that we tread very carefully when placing said limits. The question is, why are we punishing this person's speech? He isn't libelling anyone, or harassing someone on the street. The answer seems to be: his speech was a obnoxious, idiotic and distasteful. I agree that his speech was horrendous, but it doesn't remotely rise to the level where the state needs to punish it. Indeed human rights seem rather hollow if they can only be used in "acceptable" ways.

It's not worth arguing with him about this.  He has exhibited such views all over the forum.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »

Ban him from YouTube and let the public choose to shame him. No jail time though.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »

Well this is an awful precedent.

Good job U.K.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 04:24:32 AM »

Ban him from YouTube and let the public choose to shame him. No jail time though.

When has YouTube banning someone ever brought about something good?  Other than proving the point that capitalism and individual liberty are two completely different things.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »

Wait they actually convicted him? Even after all the publicity it got?
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »

Banning speech only makes the opinion more popular.  That helped Hitler, and most likely Donald Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies