2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:56:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 76
Author Topic: 2018 Congressional Recruitment/Fundraising/Ratings Megathread v2  (Read 172744 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: June 30, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »

^ So, Democrats will not lose even single Senate seat? Count me skeptical...
Agreed I would switch ND and Tenn

I think IN is more likely to flip than ND.

I agree. The Dems are favored to flip all three of NV, AZ, and TN at this point in time but there's a very good chance either IN or ND (or both) flip. However, pretty much every other Dem seat favors the incumbent, even if it's by a slim margin. I really do think the Dems' chances of taking back the Senate are underrated because the only seats that could really trip them up at this point are IN and ND. Heller is toast in NV, Sinema has a big lead in AZ, Bredesen is up in TN, Hawley is throwing MO away, Manchin and Tester are going to breeze by their C-tier challengers, and I have faith that Nelson will get up to speed and win in FL.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #751 on: June 30, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »

Guys, I texted Richard Ojeda and he responded.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #752 on: June 30, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »

seriously, get him to do an ama on atlas!

what did he say?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #753 on: June 30, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »

what did he say?

I just asked him a question about whittling down prescription drug prices.

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #754 on: June 30, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »

Rofl you really sent him your novel
kyc0705

« Reply #755 on: June 30, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »

Exclusive look at Ojeda getting Bagel's text:

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #756 on: June 30, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »

Not that infeasible a scenario statistically speaking. IIRC, incumbent senators of the out of power party running for reelection during midterms have like a 95% reelection rate. Democrats losing only one senate seat this year would fit that average performance, so if the Republicans perform below average this year at the ballot box, they won't flip a single senate seat. Based on the fundamentals and special election results, this is certainly shaping up to be a very below average year for Republicans.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #757 on: July 01, 2018, 12:11:55 AM »

Not that infeasible a scenario statistically speaking. IIRC, incumbent senators of the out of power party running for reelection during midterms have like a 95% reelection rate. Democrats losing only one senate seat this year would fit that average performance, so if the Republicans perform below average this year at the ballot box, they won't flip a single senate seat. Based on the fundamentals and special election results, this is certainly shaping up to be a very below average year for Republicans.

Still, with about 10 Democratic Senators running in Trump (2016) states, again - count me skeptical...
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #758 on: July 01, 2018, 01:55:22 AM »

Still, with about 10 Democratic Senators running in Trump (2016) states, again - count me skeptical...

Casey, Brown, Staebnow, and Baldwin are safe, Tester and Manchin pulled weak challengers and have strong local brands, and Hawley's looking like he's going to blow it with McCaskill. So you're likely only dealing with 3 real races with Nelson, Heitkamp, and Donnely.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #759 on: July 01, 2018, 02:07:17 AM »

Casey, Brown, Staebnow, and Baldwin are safe, Tester and Manchin pulled weak challengers and have strong local brands, and Hawley's looking like he's going to blow it with McCaskill. So you're likely only dealing with 3 real races with Nelson, Heitkamp, and Donnely.

And all three of those can win, though I suspect Donnelly will have the toughest task among them.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #760 on: July 01, 2018, 02:08:21 AM »

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #761 on: July 01, 2018, 04:27:51 AM »

Plus don't forget that we have three golden pickup opportunities as well.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #762 on: July 01, 2018, 06:13:04 AM »

All of that taken together is why I think it's insane that places like PredictIt have the chances of a Democratic takeover at like 20%. Dems are up in NV, AZ, and TN, even if you put aside UTDH being a "tossup" and Bredesen being up consistently somehow counting as "lean R". Nelson will almost certainly increase his lead over Scott. People are making a huge deal out of his campaign not having enough Latino outreach and all but it's July. Nobody is paying attention yet! This is the kind of cardinal political junkie sin that people commit all too often. The fundamentals of this race all point toward Nelson, and even if Scott can indeed give him a fight (which he will) I fully expect Nelson to pull this one out. Donnelly and Heitkamp are easily the most vulnerable points for Dems, but in an environment like this I doubt they both go for Republicans, there's a good chance that neither do. There's pretty much zero polling on Indiana (thanks, absurd anti-polling laws) and Heitkamp is consistently underestimated, like she was in 2012. When you consider all of those factors together, I find it seriously absurd that PredictIt has Democratic control at 20%.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #763 on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

All of that taken together is why I think it's insane that places like PredictIt have the chances of a Democratic takeover at like 20%. Dems are up in NV, AZ, and TN, even if you put aside UTDH being a "tossup" and Bredesen being up consistently somehow counting as "lean R". Nelson will almost certainly increase his lead over Scott. People are making a huge deal out of his campaign not having enough Latino outreach and all but it's July. Nobody is paying attention yet! This is the kind of cardinal political junkie sin that people commit all too often. The fundamentals of this race all point toward Nelson, and even if Scott can indeed give him a fight (which he will) I fully expect Nelson to pull this one out. Donnelly and Heitkamp are easily the most vulnerable points for Dems, but in an environment like this I doubt they both go for Republicans, there's a good chance that neither do. There's pretty much zero polling on Indiana (thanks, absurd anti-polling laws) and Heitkamp is consistently underestimated, like she was in 2012. When you consider all of those factors together, I find it seriously absurd that PredictIt has Democratic control at 20%.

Yeah, I'd peg it just shy of 40%.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #764 on: July 01, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »

what did he say?

I just asked him a question about whittling down prescription drug prices.

Awesome! Though that was a really really really really long text
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #765 on: July 01, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »

That statistic is repeated over and over. Its one of the most easy to understand principles behind these races, and the most deceiving.
Here are the 10 states in question from west coast to east
MT-Jon Tester
ND-Heidi Heitkamp
MO-Claire McCaskill
WI-Tammy Baldwin
IN-Joe Donnelly
MI-Debbie Stabnow
OH-Sherrod Brown
WV-Joe Manchin
PA-Bob Casey Jr.
FL-Bill Nelson
First of all, three states on that list are the rustbelt states that went to Trump by less than 1% each and ones that Obama won by a healthy margin, so take off PA,WI,and MI.

Next, since we the campaigns are starting up, we can use polling to deduct the safe senators, which include OH,MT, and arguably WV

We also have to take candidate quality into play, which helps to discount MT,OH, and WV more and also discounts MO, though it will still be a close race.

This leaves us with the actual competitive races for 2018 on the Democratic side
FL
ND
IN
(and possibly MO)
These are the only races at this point in the cycle that could flip to Republicans come the midterms. And even then, the Democrats have an advantage in all of them.
-Rick Scott and Bill Nelson have traded leads, but Rick is doing this by burning through money, Bill is barely spending.
-Cramer is a pretty bad canidate, constantly putting his foot in his mouth, whos only positive is that he has won statewide. He is even leading currently in polling. But the tarriffs are hitting this place hard, and Heidi has defied the odds before.
-Braun is an unknown. No one has any idea on how this race will go. He could be a tough opponent or a weak pushover. The only info we have is from Gravis, a below average polling group, which put the race at +1 for Braun. Seriously though, we need polling for this seat, not Texas polling.
-Claire McCaskill must be a witch or something, because everything is falling into place for her. The former Gov. is discraced but could run as an independent and throw the race. Josh Hawley, once considered an A+ recruit, is turning out to be too easy to attack and a poor fighter. Claire has been leading in most polls, something she failed to do in 2012. Everything is just working out for her.

And something most people forget when they talk about how "its impossible to hold these seats" is that these people have won these seats before, in 2012, at best a neutral, or tilt D, year. Now, these incumbents are going to have to play defense during a blue midterm year. It's not impossible to hold all of these seats, but it will be challenging.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #766 on: July 01, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »

First Round of House Majority PAC spending:

Half of these are in districts Trump won.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #767 on: July 01, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »

A new model from Rachel Bitecofer of the Wason Center for Public Policy at Christopher Newport University: http://wasoncenter.cnu.edu/.  It's...interesting. 

House forecast: 223 D, 189 R, 23 Tossup

Senate: 49 D, 49 R, 2 Tossup -- AZ and TX!

Seats that Bitecofer predicts will definitely flip to D:

CA 25
CA 39
CA 45
CA 48
CA 49
CO 6
IL 6
KS 3
MN 3
NJ 11
VA 10
VA 7
new_patomic

« Reply #768 on: July 01, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2018, 07:35:44 PM by new_patomic »

A new model from Rachel Bitecofer of the Wason Center for Public Policy at Christopher Newport University: http://wasoncenter.cnu.edu/.  It's...interesting.  

CA 25
CA 39
CA 45
CA 48
CA 49
CO 6
IL 6
KS 3
MN 3
NJ 11
VA 10
VA 7

First time I've seen someone, correctly in my view, list IL-12 as Lean-R and IL-13 as tossup.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #769 on: July 01, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »

A new model from Rachel Bitecofer of the Wason Center for Public Policy at Christopher Newport University: http://wasoncenter.cnu.edu/.  It's...interesting. 

CA 25
CA 39
CA 45
CA 48
CA 49
CO 6
IL 6
KS 3
MN 3
NJ 11
VA 10
VA 7

I don't get why FL-27 isn't a definite flip. It seems more likely to flip than some of the "definite" flips.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #770 on: July 01, 2018, 11:57:53 PM »

That statistic is repeated over and over. Its one of the most easy to understand principles behind these races, and the most deceiving.
Here are the 10 states in question from west coast to east
MT-Jon Tester
ND-Heidi Heitkamp
MO-Claire McCaskill
WI-Tammy Baldwin
IN-Joe Donnelly
MI-Debbie Stabnow
OH-Sherrod Brown
WV-Joe Manchin
PA-Bob Casey Jr.
FL-Bill Nelson
First of all, three states on that list are the rustbelt states that went to Trump by less than 1% each and ones that Obama won by a healthy margin, so take off PA,WI,and MI.

Next, since we the campaigns are starting up, we can use polling to deduct the safe senators, which include OH,MT, and arguably WV

We also have to take candidate quality into play, which helps to discount MT,OH, and WV more and also discounts MO, though it will still be a close race.

This leaves us with the actual competitive races for 2018 on the Democratic side
FL
ND
IN
(and possibly MO)
These are the only races at this point in the cycle that could flip to Republicans come the midterms. And even then, the Democrats have an advantage in all of them.
-Rick Scott and Bill Nelson have traded leads, but Rick is doing this by burning through money, Bill is barely spending.
-Cramer is a pretty bad canidate, constantly putting his foot in his mouth, whos only positive is that he has won statewide. He is even leading currently in polling. But the tarriffs are hitting this place hard, and Heidi has defied the odds before.
-Braun is an unknown. No one has any idea on how this race will go. He could be a tough opponent or a weak pushover. The only info we have is from Gravis, a below average polling group, which put the race at +1 for Braun. Seriously though, we need polling for this seat, not Texas polling.
-Claire McCaskill must be a witch or something, because everything is falling into place for her. The former Gov. is discraced but could run as an independent and throw the race. Josh Hawley, once considered an A+ recruit, is turning out to be too easy to attack and a poor fighter. Claire has been leading in most polls, something she failed to do in 2012. Everything is just working out for her.

And something most people forget when they talk about how "its impossible to hold these seats" is that these people have won these seats before, in 2012, at best a neutral, or tilt D, year. Now, these incumbents are going to have to play defense during a blue midterm year. It's not impossible to hold all of these seats, but it will be challenging.

Guys, it's an emply  talk and wish for now. I am not convinced, that  Democrats have  more, then 1 "guranteed pickup" right now - first. I think that ND, IN, MO and WV will be very difficult  until the end - second. And so on. Let's talk about that in mid-October. It may happen, but i am absolutely no sure it will happen (right now i am inclined, that  it will not). We shall see.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #771 on: July 03, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »

Aftab Pureval raised $885,000 in the second quarter https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/columnists/politics-extra/2018/07/03/congressional-race-cincinnati-democrat-builds-campaign-war-chest/755780002/
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #772 on: July 03, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »

*whistles*
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #773 on: July 03, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »

this is what we call a star candidate. OH-1 might be tilt D now - Chabot does not seem to be aware of how real this challenge is getting.
ltomlinson31
Canada

« Reply #774 on: July 03, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »

Sean Casten raised $789k in Q2: https://castenforcongress.com/blog/2018/07/03/casten-q2-2018/
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies