Is this normal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:26:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is this normal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 430 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »

I have no issue when it comes to soft drinks, on the other hand I noticed whenever I eat something sugary recently, it makes me fall asleep (for example today I ate some cookies at around 4:30 PM and then I fell asleep and got up at 12:45 AM). What could be the reason for this?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:40:43 PM »

sugar crash?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:22:04 PM »

What's that?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »

The alleged mechanism for the feeling of a crash is correlated with an abnormally rapid rise in blood glucose after eating. This normally leads to insulin secretion (known as an insulin spike), which in turn initiates rapid glucose uptake by tissues, either storing it as glycogen or utilizing it for energy production. The consequent fall in blood glucose is indicated as the reason for the "sugar crash".[4] Another cause might be hysteresis effect of insulin action, i.e., the effect of insulin is still prominent even if both plasma glucose and insulin levels were already low, causing a plasma glucose level eventually much lower than the baseline level.
your body is like, "whoa!  too much sugar!" and starts to remove all the sugar from the blood stream.  It does too good of a job at it, then you don't have any energy, your brain gets goofy and you get sleepy.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »

The alleged mechanism for the feeling of a crash is correlated with an abnormally rapid rise in blood glucose after eating. This normally leads to insulin secretion (known as an insulin spike), which in turn initiates rapid glucose uptake by tissues, either storing it as glycogen or utilizing it for energy production. The consequent fall in blood glucose is indicated as the reason for the "sugar crash".[4] Another cause might be hysteresis effect of insulin action, i.e., the effect of insulin is still prominent even if both plasma glucose and insulin levels were already low, causing a plasma glucose level eventually much lower than the baseline level.
your body is like, "whoa!  too much sugar!" and starts to remove all the sugar from the blood stream.  It does too good of a job at it, then you don't have any energy, your brain gets goofy and you get sleepy.

Does that have a link to Diabetes, or can you get that even without being diabetic?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »

no, not directly I don't think (I'm not a doctor!)  If you're not a big guy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:01:10 PM »

no, not directly I don't think (I'm not a doctor!)  If you're not a big guy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Nah, my weight is normal. More than anything there's a history of diabetes in my family.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 09:03:36 PM »

That's good about the weight, not good about the family history.  Probably wouldn't hurt to go ask a doc about it.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »

That's good about the weight, not good about the family history.  Probably wouldn't hurt to go ask a doc about it.

Yeah agreed. I need to find a new doctor though lol (mine retired), but that shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah it's the family history part that worries me, otherwise I wouldn't be particularly worried.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »

That's good about the weight, not good about the family history.  Probably wouldn't hurt to go ask a doc about it.

Yeah agreed. I need to find a new doctor though lol (mine retired), but that shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah it's the family history part that worries me, otherwise I wouldn't be particularly worried.

As long as you're watching how much sugar you consume, you should be alright. My family has a history of diabetes, for example, and I'm unlikely to get it because I've completely cut sugar from my diet four days a week.

Are you constantly drinking water? Like, at the tap all the time?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:18:53 PM »

As long as you're watching how much sugar you consume, you should be alright. My family has a history of diabetes, for example, and I'm unlikely to get it because I've completely cut sugar from my diet four days a week.

Maybe not constantly, but I do drink a lot of water. On the other hand that's been the case at least since a started college (like 6/7 years), and the sugar thing only popped up recently (like in the last month).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 10:17:33 PM »

Maybe not constantly, but I do drink a lot of water. On the other hand that's been the case at least since a started college (like 6/7 years), and the sugar thing only popped up recently (like in the last month).

If you're not at the water tap constantly, then I assume you're fine. Aussmptions are a dangerous thing though. I would say get a blood test done to ease any worries. I've been getting them done once every two years since I was 16.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »

If you're not at the water tap constantly, then I assume you're fine. Aussmptions are a dangerous thing though. I would say get a blood test done to ease any worries. I've been getting them done once every two years since I was 16.

OK, thanks! It's been a while (a few years now) since I last got my blood tested (the doctor thought I might have had diabetes then, but not for the same reasons as I cited here, but it turned out I was fine), so yeah it's time for another blood test. I'll try to get an appointment soon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies