Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:41:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget  (Read 36689 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2018, 09:02:14 PM »

Sources say Chance not running, will endorse a candidate in press conference (not Preckwinkle)

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/tweet-chance-the-rapper-mayor-chicago-2019-election-somewhere-paradise/
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/10/16/chance-the-rapper-amara-enyia-chicago-mayor-race-2019/

Chance endorsed Amara Enyia. Would have loved to see him run himself just for the hell of it, but this is probably better.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2018, 01:38:07 PM »

Powerful longtime alderman Ed Burke (think Council Wars) had his city hall & ward offices raided by the FBI yesterday.  He is already facing a potenitally competitive election in Feb.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ed-burke-fbi-federal-agents-city-hall-council/
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »

Powerful longtime alderman Ed Burke (think Council Wars) had his city hall & ward offices raided by the FBI yesterday.  He is already facing a potenitally competitive election in Feb.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ed-burke-fbi-federal-agents-city-hall-council/

Hope they put him in cuffs. We all know he has done plenty to warrant it over his tenure.
new_patomic

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »

Big update:

Ed Burke has now been charged by the Feds!
Ald. Ed Burke charged in attempted extortion of Burger King

The extortion apparently entailed Burger King being forced to use his law form for their property tax assessment if they wanted to get the required permits for the renovation at that location.

The complaint also alleges Burke pressured "the company to make a donation to the campaign of an unnamed politician. One company official gave $10,000 to the unnamed politician but that was eventually reduced to the legal limit of $5,600."

The Tribune reports that the unamed politican is, in fact, Toni Preckwinkle
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh boy. Oooh boy. This is all so juicy.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2019, 08:13:13 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2019, 08:18:50 PM by Mr. Illini »

Big update:

Ed Burke has now been charged by the Feds!
Ald. Ed Burke charged in attempted extortion of Burger King

The extortion apparently entailed Burger King being forced to use his law form for their property tax assessment if they wanted to get the required permits for the renovation at that location.

The complaint also alleges Burke pressured "the company to make a donation to the campaign of an unnamed politician. One company official gave $10,000 to the unnamed politician but that was eventually reduced to the legal limit of $5,600."

The Tribune reports that the unamed politican is, in fact, Toni Preckwinkle
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh boy. Oooh boy. This is all so juicy.

There's no reason to believe she knew anything about the donation, much less how it was obtained, but this is a terrible look for her nonetheless. One could say she shouldn't have been allied with Burke in the first place, though that approach could've made it so she didn't have a career at all.

Of course, it is all speculation, but Lightfoot's theory that there had to be a quid pro quo here is plausible as well. I guess we'll find out in time.

Politics in this city are poisoned until all of the Burke types are gone.

Hopefully the news re: Preckwinkle doesn't completely overshadow the fact that Mendoza and Chico have also been closely allied with Burke. Ironically, Daley is probably clean here, as the Daleys have always had a rocky relationship with Burke (even though M nominated him to his current post).
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 08:39:09 AM »

Amid Burke scandal, Preckwinkle drops $750k ad buy touting role in exposing Laquan McDonald shooting

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/preckwinkle-turn-page-burke-scandal-laquan-mcdonald-ad-mayors-race/
Flyersfan232

« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »

who is the republican or closest to a republican in this race.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2019, 09:00:17 AM by Senator Zaybay »

Can anyone provide a sort-of rundown on the candidates and their positions or attributes or anything else that makes them stand out?

Its just too confusing for me Tongue
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:22 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2019, 10:20:33 PM by Mr. Illini »

Daley, honestly. Welcome to Chicago.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 11:02:09 PM »

Also McCarthy.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2019, 07:39:11 AM »

Also McCarthy.

Kind of. Certainly on police issues, but on all other issues he has generally taken progressive stances.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2019, 04:59:38 PM »

I think Obama if they endorse I think they would endorse Prickenwitle as she was the one who started his political career in 96 even though they had a rift or else he would vote Meldoza
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2019, 11:45:28 AM by Mr. Illini »

I think Obama if they endorse I think they would endorse Prickenwitle as she was the one who started his political career in 96 even though they had a rift or else he would vote Meldoza

I think there is a decent chance he does not endorse, but if he does, I expect him to endorse Preckwinkle. Despite the rift, Obama endorsed her for re-election in 2018.

Obama and Mendoza don't have any sort of history.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

I think there is a decent chance he does not endorse, but if he does, I expect him to endorse Preckwinkle. Despite the rift, Obama endorsed her for re-election in 2018.

or maybe Daley if Preckwinkle didn't run
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2019, 11:51:59 AM »

or maybe Daley if Preckwinkle didn't run

Yes, certainly. In fact, he may wait until a runoff to endorse Preckwinkle to avoid snubbing Daley (assuming the runoff if not Preckwinkle vs Daley).
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2019, 04:03:17 PM »

Also McCarthy.

Kind of. Certainly on police issues, but on all other issues he has generally taken progressive stances.

You guys are spelling Willie Wilson wrong
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »

the "Republican" in the race is not Daley, and certainly not Wilson. Daley stands for the interests of the city's wealthy elite, but that's not synonymous with Republicans, especially in Chicago -- it's more or less a lot of the same people who backed Rahm. The candidates who are actively attempting to court Republicans (appearing at GOP events, targeting GOP voters, etc) are Joyce, Fioretti, Kozlar, McCarthy and Vallas, the latter two of whom are the most serious. Vallas, hilariously, showed up at my college's College Republicans meeting, and recently received the endorsement of Bruce Rauner. McCarthy, meanwhile, is pursuing the votes of every cop in the city

if you're a Republican in Chicago, you're probably voting for McCarthy if you're one of the northwest side Republicans, and Vallas if you're one of the rich Republicans who wants to privatize every function of city government. Also a decent chance of voting for Joyce or Kozlar, depending on neighborhood ties (southwest side for the former, Canaryville for the latter). No idea who's voting for Fioretti, but someone is lmao
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2019, 08:08:06 PM »

the "Republican" in the race is not Daley, and certainly not Wilson. Daley stands for the interests of the city's wealthy elite, but that's not synonymous with Republicans, especially in Chicago -- it's more or less a lot of the same people who backed Rahm. The candidates who are actively attempting to court Republicans (appearing at GOP events, targeting GOP voters, etc) are Joyce, Fioretti, Kozlar, McCarthy and Vallas, the latter two of whom are the most serious. Vallas, hilariously, showed up at my college's College Republicans meeting, and recently received the endorsement of Bruce Rauner. McCarthy, meanwhile, is pursuing the votes of every cop in the city

if you're a Republican in Chicago, you're probably voting for McCarthy if you're one of the northwest side Republicans, and Vallas if you're one of the rich Republicans who wants to privatize every function of city government. Also a decent chance of voting for Joyce or Kozlar, depending on neighborhood ties (southwest side for the former, Canaryville for the latter). No idea who's voting for Fioretti, but someone is lmao

Thanks for all the info! What about the opposite? Who are the Progressives and liberals in this race?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2019, 08:35:25 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2019, 08:42:53 PM by sjoyce »

Thanks for all the info! What about the opposite? Who are the Progressives and liberals in this race?

Preckwinkle, Lightfoot & Enyia have been the most active in courting the city's "progressive" faction. Preckwinkle is probably the most "traditional"/establishment of the bunch, currently serving as the Chair of the Cook County Democratic Party -- she's won most of the unions & major institutional endorsements. Lightfoot has a few progressive and LGBT groups, and is a favorite of liberal/'good government' folks. Enyia has a youth-based strategy -- her biggest endorsement has come from Chance the Rapper.

Lightfoot is probably my preferred candidate overall, but I'll only vote for her if Preckwinkle seems guaranteed one of the runoff spots -- if there's any real potential of a Mendoza-Daley runoff, I'll vote for Preckwinkle.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »

I was speaking more so in terms of preferred policy as opposed to courting actual Republicans. Going to Republican events etc is a waste of time in this city - they do not represent a serious voting bloc. On the other hand, there are candidates whose policies are more conservative than others. Daley has openly said he wants to amend the IL Constitution to make it so the state can go back and reduce the pensions of those who have already worked. He stated that he did not favor a progressive income tax in Illinois (Vallas says he does, Fioretti and McCarthy also say no).
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 09:46:10 AM by Mr. Illini »

Lightfoot is probably my preferred candidate overall, but I'll only vote for her if Preckwinkle seems guaranteed one of the runoff spots -- if there's any real potential of a Mendoza-Daley runoff, I'll vote for Preckwinkle.

I'm taking the same approach at this point. The ironic point is that Lightfoot could be a factor in forcing Preckwinkle out of the runoff. She is aiming for the same coalition that Preckwinkle is - the Harold Washington coalition of African Americans plus white reformist liberals on the north side. Mendoza is shooting for a coalition of Latino residents plus WWC workers on the far NW and SW sides. Daley hopes to peel off enough of the north side whites + Latinos (his brother's coalition).
BundouYMB

« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »

What do you mean "certainly not Wilson"? Rauner praised Wilson on multiple occasions. Also, Rauner did not only endorse Vallas. He said he thought Vallas or Wilson would make the best Mayor. Whether or not Wilson is actively courting Republicans, he's certainly a candidate that appeals to Republicans.

Also, re:your next comment, Eniya is a complete non factor who will finish like 12th, and I would certainly add Mendoza is a progressive liberal.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

What do you mean "certainly not Wilson"? Rauner praised Wilson on multiple occasions. Also, Rauner did not only endorse Vallas. He said he thought Vallas or Wilson would make the best Mayor. Whether or not Wilson is actively courting Republicans, he's certainly a candidate that appeals to Republicans.

Also, re:your next comment, Eniya is a complete non factor who will finish like 12th, and I would certainly add Mendoza is a progressive liberal.

No, she is certainly not. She has fallen in line with Madigan and the rest of the machine every step of the way. She cites Madigan and Ed Burke as her mentors. She is no reformist nor progressive.
BundouYMB

« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2019, 10:48:37 AM »

No, she is certainly not. She has fallen in line with Madigan and the rest of the machine every step of the way. She cites Madigan and Ed Burke as her mentors. She is no reformist nor progressive.

What kind of metric is that? You don't necessarily have to be a reformist to be a progressive or liberal. Preckwinkle, for example, is also a machine politician... and is far more dependent on her machine ties than Mendoza (Mendoza actually has a strong personal brand at this point. Without her machine ties Preckwinkle would have no hope of making the runoff.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies