Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:29:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget  (Read 36431 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: March 23, 2019, 05:43:50 PM »

Call it all but official - Janice Joyce drops another $400k into Jerry’s campaign. He’s running for State’s Attorney against Kim Foxx.

https://bit.ly/2YiCDVJ
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #451 on: March 23, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »

Who is Lightfoot supporters supporting mainly in the Treasurer election.

I think there’s nuance to it. Lightfoot and Pawar will both get huge margins on the north side. I expect Preckwinkle and MCE to win black wards - MCE with huge margins and narrower for Toni. Lightfoot and MCE will win police/fire hoods on the far NW/SW sides. Latinx wards are less clear - if I had to guess, I’d say Lightfoot and MCE, both with pretty narrow margins.

Overall, a loose correlation between support for Lori and Ameya.
I thought Ameya is mainly Preckwintle supporters and why is MCE doing well in the South side and Latino wards then.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #452 on: March 23, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2019, 06:50:27 PM by Mr. Illini »

Who is Lightfoot supporters supporting mainly in the Treasurer election.

I think there’s nuance to it. Lightfoot and Pawar will both get huge margins on the north side. I expect Preckwinkle and MCE to win black wards - MCE with huge margins and narrower for Toni. Lightfoot and MCE will win police/fire hoods on the far NW/SW sides. Latinx wards are less clear - if I had to guess, I’d say Lightfoot and MCE, both with pretty narrow margins.

Overall, a loose correlation between support for Lori and Ameya.
I thought Ameya is mainly Preckwintle supporters and why is MCE doing well in the South side and Latino wards then.

No, if you look at the results from the first round, Lori’s best wards were also Ameya’s best wards. They are both viewed as the reformist candidates, so north siders love them.

Preckwinkle’s organization hasn’t done much to help Ameya to my knowledge, and she hasn’t vocally supported him, which is the right thing to do if you’re running for another citywide office.

MCE has influence in the black community as a member of that community. Her husband is also an alderman for a black south side ward. The aldermen of those wards are using their organizations to get the vote out for her.

The guess on Latinx wards was just that. I’d consider her the establishment candidate in the race. The aldermen will likely do enough to get her narrow margins in those wards. Yet, in the first round, you saw MCE with a much stronger showing in south side Latinx wards than north side Latinx wards. This has to do with where their bases of support are. Like I said, MCE is a south sider with a stronger organization there, while Pawar is a north sider with a stronger organization there. I expect that to be the case again.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #453 on: March 23, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »

for what it's worth, when i signed the ballot petition for preckwinkle i was also asked to sign for "toni's candidate for treasurer" [pawar]. i was in the 4th ward, so i'd consider it fairly substantial evidence that preckwinkle is quietly supporting pawar.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #454 on: March 23, 2019, 08:12:59 PM »

for what it's worth, when i signed the ballot petition for preckwinkle i was also asked to sign for "toni's candidate for treasurer" [pawar]. i was in the 4th ward, so i'd consider it fairly substantial evidence that preckwinkle is quietly supporting pawar.

Yes, I remember you saying that, which surprised me. It’s obviously very quiet, because that was the only thing I had heard of that nature. He did do better in the south lakefront than the rest of the south side, although reformist candidates generally do.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #455 on: March 23, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »

Another endorsement this afternoon: the People’s Pat is with Lightfoot
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #456 on: March 23, 2019, 11:45:02 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2019, 12:18:37 AM by sjoyce »

Yes, I remember you saying that, which surprised me. It’s obviously very quiet, because that was the only thing I had heard of that nature. He did do better in the south lakefront than the rest of the south side, although reformist candidates generally do.
I don't think she's making noise about it -- obviously a lot of her support overlaps w/Conyears-Ervin, especially CTU, so probably wise not to alienate your supporters. But I think it makes sense, since Preckwinkle/C-E come from very different parts of the city and don't have much of a history, and the 4th ward has always been one of the city's more progressive

also, from the Rush endorsement:
"Rush said he considered Lightfoot “chump change,” because she has the backing of 19th Ward Ald. Matt O’Shea and, by extension, the city’s police officers, many of whom live in those predominantly white Southwest Side neighborhoods.

“The opposing candidate is representing the FOP,” Rush said as the crowd booed. “If you want the FOP, then you’ll vote for Lori.”
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: March 24, 2019, 07:53:29 AM »

also, from the Rush endorsement:
"Rush said he considered Lightfoot “chump change,” because she has the backing of 19th Ward Ald. Matt O’Shea and, by extension, the city’s police officers, many of whom live in those predominantly white Southwest Side neighborhoods.

“The opposing candidate is representing the FOP,” Rush said as the crowd booed. “If you want the FOP, then you’ll vote for Lori.”

Ironic, since he endorsed Daley in the first round. He’s got no ground to stand on.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: March 24, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »

The Stroger endorsement last week had me thinking about Toni's elections as President.

Below is the map from the last primary she faced in March 2018 against Bob Fioretti. Of course, she dominated, but one thing is interesting...

Within city limits, notice that her best areas almost perfectly align with the wards that Lightfoot won on February 26.

Her other dominant wards were those on the south lakefront, which she won on February 26.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »

This morning, Amara Enyia says she will not endorse in the Mayor’s race and will instead focus on holding the next mayor accountable.

1) This is a huge blow for Toni. When I saw she was holding a press conference I was confident she’d endorse Preckwinkle as a payback to Chance for boosting her.

2) This suggests to be that she is angling at higher office, probably for a 2023 run against the eventual winner of this race, whoever that may be.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #460 on: March 26, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »

Is one of the two the clear establishment candidate? And if so: who and why?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #461 on: March 26, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »

The President of the Cook County Democratic Party is probably the establishment candidate, especially after the whole bribery scandal with Berrios and secret donation from Burke to her campaign.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #462 on: March 26, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »

Preckwinkle is the chair of the CCDP and therefore the establishment candidate by default.

Some “establishment” support has lined up behind Lightfoot, though, like Susana Mendoza.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #463 on: March 26, 2019, 01:38:28 PM »

Here’s the donor history of Lightfoot’s top donors
-John Canning: $200k to Bill Daley, $200k to Rahm, $100k to Rahm’s PAC, $10k to Madigan, $250 to Rauner
-Paul Finnegan: $300k to Bill Daley, $600k to Rahm, $100k to Rahm’s PAC, $300k to Stand for Children [pro-charter PAC]
-Meredith Bluhm-Wolf: $80k to Rahm, $15k to GOP treasurer candidate Tom Cross, $5k to GOP state sen Christine Radogno, $1.5k to Pat O’Connor (Rahm’s floor leader, longtime machine-aligned Alderman, one of the Vrdolyak 29)
-Leslie Bluhm: $56k to Rahm, $25k to Tom Cross, $5k to Radogno, $10k to Illinois House Republican leader Jim Durkin

And here’s Toni’s largest donors
-Service Employees International Union - Illinois Council
-SEIU Local 1
-United Food & Commercial Workers Local 881
-Chicago Teachers Union
-SEIU Local 73
-SEIU Healthcare Illinois-Indiana
-American Federation of Teachers

You can make a pedantic argument about who has what titles, but one candidate is owned by the city's wealthy financial interests and the other is the candidate of working people. Seems fairly clear-cut to me.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #464 on: March 26, 2019, 04:53:28 PM »

Here’s the donor history of Lightfoot’s top donors
-John Canning: $200k to Bill Daley, $200k to Rahm, $100k to Rahm’s PAC, $10k to Madigan, $250 to Rauner
-Paul Finnegan: $300k to Bill Daley, $600k to Rahm, $100k to Rahm’s PAC, $300k to Stand for Children [pro-charter PAC]
-Meredith Bluhm-Wolf: $80k to Rahm, $15k to GOP treasurer candidate Tom Cross, $5k to GOP state sen Christine Radogno, $1.5k to Pat O’Connor (Rahm’s floor leader, longtime machine-aligned Alderman, one of the Vrdolyak 29)
-Leslie Bluhm: $56k to Rahm, $25k to Tom Cross, $5k to Radogno, $10k to Illinois House Republican leader Jim Durkin

And here’s Toni’s largest donors
-Service Employees International Union - Illinois Council
-SEIU Local 1
-United Food & Commercial Workers Local 881
-Chicago Teachers Union
-SEIU Local 73
-SEIU Healthcare Illinois-Indiana
-American Federation of Teachers

You can make a pedantic argument about who has what titles, but one candidate is owned by the city's wealthy financial interests and the other is the candidate of working people. Seems fairly clear-cut to me.

That's not to say that Preckwinkle doesn't have some reasonably strong establishment links either.

I'm curious, what was the realization that caused your abrupt switch from Lightfoot to Toni?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #465 on: March 26, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

That's not to say that Preckwinkle doesn't have some reasonably strong establishment links either.

I'm curious, what was the realization that caused your abrupt switch from Lightfoot to Toni?
I voted for Lightfoot in the primary because I believed she was capable of defeating Bill Daley in a runoff and Preckwinkle was not. I've always preferred Preckwinkle on policy, but guaranteeing Daley went down was more important than the policy differences between the two. Now that Bill's out of the picture, I'm free to vote for the candidate I agree with more.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: March 26, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »

I voted for Lightfoot in the primary because I believed she was capable of defeating Bill Daley in a runoff and Preckwinkle was not. I've always preferred Preckwinkle on policy, but guaranteeing Daley went down was more important than the policy differences between the two. Now that Bill's out of the picture, I'm free to vote for the candidate I agree with more.

This is just not true. Scroll back in this thread, and you’ll find that you said that Lightfoot’s shortcomings on policing are less concerning than Preckwinkle’s ties in the political establishment.

Something else caused the shift. Could be her endorsers, her donors, her statements on the cop academy, or something else. Doesn’t seem that it had to do with Daley, though.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #467 on: March 26, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »

This is just not true. Scroll back in this thread, and you’ll find that you said that Lightfoot’s shortcomings on policing are less concerning than Preckwinkle’s ties in the political establishment.

Something else caused the shift. Could be her endorsers, her donors, her statements on the cop academy, or something else. Doesn’t seem that it had to do with Daley, though.
I think Sjoyce can decide on his own what causes his support for candidates.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »

I think Sjoyce can decide on his own what causes his support for candidates.

I agree. That doesn’t mean I won’t point out that what they’re describing as their reasons for supporting one candidate in the first round isn’t consistent with what they posted on this forum.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #469 on: March 26, 2019, 07:29:58 PM »

I do apologize if I've been irritable in this thread lately. This election has been a chaotic mess of friends turning against friends and making it personal, and combined with craziness at work, has driven me a little crazy. I'm eagerly awaiting the end of this election.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #470 on: March 26, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »

I do apologize if I've been irritable in this thread lately. This election has been a chaotic mess of friends turning against friends and making it personal, and combined with craziness at work, has driven me a little crazy. I'm eagerly awaiting the end of this election.
It’s fine mate, just cool it when your coming in hot or you’ll burn the board to dust. Even though it’s hard, try it the same way in real life, you don’t want to kill off your social circle for two, admittedly different in several key aspects but nonetheless, reformist candidates
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #471 on: March 27, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »

I see this Runoff campaign has alienated neighbors, family members & friends.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #472 on: March 28, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »

Honestly, we have two fantastic options in this runoff. No need to get hostile with anyone who agrees with one more than the other.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #473 on: April 01, 2019, 10:37:50 PM »

it's time
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »

Just voted a second time for Lori and Ameya. Though, unlike the first time, it was not without reservations.

I hope whoever wins tonight marks a truly new day for our beloved city. I think we've got a shot with either one of them. We'll be back in four years to do a performance evaluation.

They can't do it without support from the council, though, so here's hoping we bring home the key aldermanic runoffs, especially Andre Vasquez, Marianne Lalonde, and Rafa Yañez. O'Connor, Cappleman, and Lopez have to go.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies