Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2019, 06:36:32 am
News: 2020 Presidential Predictions (General) are now active.

Atlas Forum
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, Virginiá)
  Chicago Megathread: Lightfoot takes the helm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: Lightfoot takes the helm  (Read 20292 times)
Sestak
jk2020
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2019, 12:29:08 am »

Council members confirm Ed Burke is organizing council against Lightfoot

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/chicago-mayor-elect-lori-lightfoot-alderman-edward-burke-organize-against-her/

Reminiscent of the Vrdolyak 29 days against Harold Washington. Difference is that Vrdolyak and Burke are on their way to the pen this time.

I'd like to keep this thread going to discuss Chicago political affairs if that is good with everyone else.

Oh joy.

Is Burke himself still denying?

Also, given the ridiculous mandate for Lightfoot, wouldn’t she have a massive public support advantage in any Council Wars 2.0?
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2019, 04:40:51 pm »

Let me guess: Burke & Co., is serving up a special diet of race-baiting Council Wars 2.0 ?

I'm assuming they're plotting to undermine her before she even has taken the Oath of Office on May 20th.

Will outgoing Mayor Rahm Emanuel (D) be attending the Inauguration festivities ?
PSOL
YaBB God

« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2019, 05:02:06 pm »

Council members confirm Ed Burke is organizing council against Lightfoot

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/chicago-mayor-elect-lori-lightfoot-alderman-edward-burke-organize-against-her/

Reminiscent of the Vrdolyak 29 days against Harold Washington. Difference is that Vrdolyak and Burke are on their way to the pen this time.

I'd like to keep this thread going to discuss Chicago political affairs if that is good with everyone else.

Oh joy.

Is Burke himself still denying?

Also, given the ridiculous mandate for Lightfoot, wouldn’t she have a massive public support advantage in any Council Wars 2.0?
Not if that public doesn’t react and vote out the Burke faction. Considering the poor turnout and how hard it was to get progressives over the line, mayor Lightfoot is going to need an effective PR campaign to sideline him.
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2019, 07:54:23 pm »

I note the Establishment will fight her on term limits as well.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -5.48

« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2019, 09:32:15 pm »
« Edited: April 08, 2019, 09:37:18 pm by Mr. Illini »

Last last night, the Mayor-elect notified the Mayor of her request that he delay a committee vote on the controversial Lincoln Yards TIF project that Mayor Emanuel has championed. Lightfoot campaigned on the idea that there should be a cost-benefit analysis done on the TIF system before proceeding with any new TIF districts.

The Mayor agreed to do so, but a handful of council members, most vocally Brian Hopkins of the 2nd, whose ward the project would fall in, threw a fit. They motioned to hold the vote, but Chairman and outgoing 40th ward alderman Pat O'Connor denied it.

O'Connor signaled that there will be another hearing on Wednesday morning and he is hopeful that the Mayor and Mayor-elect can come to an agreement before then so that a vote can be held.

It's only been a week, but if this start is any indication of what her tenure as Mayor will be like, I'd say she will not have a good relationship with the council.

That's a huge plus, btw. A huge number of council members are criminally crooked at worst and owned by developers at best. She just has to identify how she's going to get her agenda through if that relationship isn't there, given that the council has a number of methods it can use to block the Mayor's agenda. She'll have a more cooperative council as of 5/20 than what is currently in place, though.
Sentor MAINEiac4434 of Lincoln
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

P P
« Reply #555 on: April 08, 2019, 10:00:52 pm »

I was with Preckwinkle, because I trust sjoyce when it comes to Chicago, but I do like the sound of Lightfoot bringing the most odious members of the council to heel.
sjoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #556 on: April 08, 2019, 11:34:19 pm »

Yes, it's mostly a charade at this point -- longtime Alderman professes his respect for the new mayor's power by holding a lengthy hearing and pushing a vote back by all of two days
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #557 on: April 10, 2019, 07:43:27 am »

Sure enough, the vote will take place today. Lightfoot issued a statement last night saying she secured stronger commitments from the developers on MWBE and giving the green light to the vote.

Yesterday, it appeared that the vote was going to take place today regardless, so it seems that this is Lightfoot is trying to save face by giving the green light. She may appear weak if the council is steamrolling her wishes before she even takes office.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: April 10, 2019, 07:55:50 am »

The cynic in me wonders if Lightfoot and Emanuel came to an agreement to have it go down this way in order to both save face politically.
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #559 on: April 10, 2019, 05:25:34 pm »

Sounds like the Establishment is taking pages out of the Mitch McConnell Playbook in undermining Lightfoot.
PSOL
YaBB God

« Reply #560 on: April 10, 2019, 06:05:21 pm »

There are now 12 votes separating the candidates in the 33rd ward, per the recent Sun Times edition today.. I’m literally not going to get good sleep till that race is called, even with my gal in the lead.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #561 on: April 10, 2019, 09:40:35 pm »

It became pretty clear today that Lightfoot misplayed the Lincoln Yards/78 deal. Progressives are now pissed that she has given the green light, yet she looks equally weak in front of the council having come out against it and then caved.
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #562 on: April 12, 2019, 08:48:28 am »

It became pretty clear today that Lightfoot misplayed the Lincoln Yards/78 deal. Progressives are now pissed that she has given the green light, yet she looks equally weak in front of the council having come out against it and then caved.

The Establishment is going to exploit this & up the ante even further against her.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #563 on: May 09, 2019, 09:53:21 pm »
« Edited: May 09, 2019, 09:58:32 pm by Mr. Illini »

Lightfoot's May 20 inauguration will be at Wintrust Arena and is open to the public. A City Hall open house will follow.

This week, she was in Washington. She met with Ivanka Trump (representing the WH), Nancy Pelosi, and other officials, as well as the Illinois delegation. She also held a fundraiser, telling the media that she wants to have a presence in 2020 to help her allies/early backers. Can't think of who that would be, though - no one is in trouble.

Additionally, liberal/reformist firebrand Scott Waguespack says he is one vote away from having enough to take Finance chairman. More moderate alderwo/men have gotten behind Tom Tunney. Both were Lightfoot endorsers, though Waguespack was an early backer (Tunney very late) and key ally and adviser to the ME throughout the campaign.
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2019, 01:23:34 pm »

Will Emanuel attend the inaugural festivities ?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #565 on: May 13, 2019, 07:02:12 pm »

Lightfoot and Preckwinkle had lunch today to discuss collaboration heading into the Mayor-Elect's inauguration. Preckwinkle remains Cook County Board President and the two will interact considerably in their respective roles.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/politics/ct-met-mayor-lightfoot-toni-preckwinkle-lunch-20190513-story.html?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=9
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #566 on: May 14, 2019, 05:18:00 pm »

Lightfoot and Preckwinkle had lunch today to discuss collaboration heading into the Mayor-Elect's inauguration. Preckwinkle remains Cook County Board President and the two will interact considerably in their respective roles.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/politics/ct-met-mayor-lightfoot-toni-preckwinkle-lunch-20190513-story.html?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=9

Meanwhile, the Establishment & the Good Ole Boys Network are going to pull a McConnell by blocking Lightfoot's policy initiatives.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #567 on: May 15, 2019, 11:38:06 am »

Trib and NBC5 confirm that Lightfoot wants Waguespack as Finance Chair and Tunney as Budget Chair.

Waguespack in lead role would be a big win for progressives and heading into budget season, I expect that the “light” will be brought in on many aspects of the current budget with him in charge.
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #568 on: May 15, 2019, 02:53:49 pm »

Trib and NBC5 confirm that Lightfoot wants Waguespack as Finance Chair and Tunney as Budget Chair.

Waguespack in lead role would be a big win for progressives and heading into budget season, I expect that the “light” will be brought in on many aspects of the current budget with him in charge.

I see that the Establishment plans on fighting Lightfoot on term limits since she plans on limiting both the Mayor & City Council to 2 4-year terms.

Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: May 15, 2019, 07:09:23 pm »

Lightfoot laid out her plan on aldermanic prerogative in meetings with aldermen this week. That is the unwritten rule that aldermen have essentially unchecked control over activities requiring city approval within their wards. It has been at the heart of most political scandals in this town over the last several decades.

The aldermen say she plans to push to curtail the practice on licensing and permits, but will leave zoning untouched. Most aldermen have opposed the plan. The two that are most supportive are an interesting pair - Alds. Cappleman and Ramirez-Rosa.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #570 on: May 16, 2019, 11:52:17 am »

Lightfoot tells the press that she plans to end aldermanic prerogative over zoning as well. She says she’ll do it via a re-write of the zoning code. I’m a happy voter Smiley Will be happier once it happens, though.

She also denies that the leadership being reported is final, but confirms that Waguespack will be front and center. She cites his experience in good government and his early endorsement of her despite political consequences.
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #571 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:51 pm »

Clock ticking on Lame Duck Emanuel. Does anybody know if he'll be attending the inaugural festivities on Monday afternoon ?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #572 on: May 17, 2019, 08:11:45 am »

Clock ticking on Lame Duck Emanuel. Does anybody know if he'll be attending the inaugural festivities on Monday afternoon ?

Haven't heard, but Daley did attend Rahm's
LoneStarDem
YaBB God
United States
« Reply #573 on: May 17, 2019, 12:35:08 pm »

Haven't heard, but Daley did attend Rahm's

Let me know if he shows up.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: May 17, 2019, 05:03:23 pm »

Lightfoot has announced her desired committee leadership. Among others, it includes...

Finance: Waguespack
Budget: Dowell
Zoning: Tunney
Floor Leader: Villegas
Economic Dev: Villegas

Lightfoot informed Ald. Carrie Austin - longtime Budget Chair - that she was being thrown out because of nepotism.

The ME also says that Ald. Beale is being ousted from his prior committee spot because he threatened a fight if Waguespack was to be named Finance Chair.

Beale backed Lightfoot in the General. Austin backed Preckwinkle.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies