Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:55:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget  (Read 36654 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »

What do you mean "certainly not Wilson"? Rauner praised Wilson on multiple occasions. Also, Rauner did not only endorse Vallas. He said he thought Vallas or Wilson would make the best Mayor. Whether or not Wilson is actively courting Republicans, he's certainly a candidate that appeals to Republicans.
There's a difference between being a conservative, which Wilson is, and being a Republican in the particular sense of today's Republican Party, which is what I assumed the poster was asking about. Wilson specifically has embraced an odd blend of generally "pro-business" policies that appeal to conservatives (a property tax freeze, for instance) with policies that are anathema to everything the GOP stands for (sanctuary city, ending police brutality, free CTA for seniors). It's correct to understand him as one of the more conservative candidates among the members of the field, but it's very odd to call him a Republican (a lot of this also applies to Daley, for that matter).

Also, re:your next comment, Eniya is a complete non factor who will finish like 12th
She's fourth in the most recent polling.

I would certainly add Mendoza is a progressive liberal.
No
BundouYMB

« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2019, 11:35:22 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 11:38:40 AM by BundouYMB »

What do you mean "certainly not Wilson"? Rauner praised Wilson on multiple occasions. Also, Rauner did not only endorse Vallas. He said he thought Vallas or Wilson would make the best Mayor. Whether or not Wilson is actively courting Republicans, he's certainly a candidate that appeals to Republicans.
There's a difference between being a conservative, which Wilson is, and being a Republican in the particular sense of today's Republican Party, which is what I assumed the poster was asking about. Wilson specifically has embraced an odd blend of generally "pro-business" policies that appeal to conservatives (a property tax freeze, for instance) with policies that are anathema to everything the GOP stands for (sanctuary city, ending police brutality, free CTA for seniors). It's correct to understand him as one of the more conservative candidates among the members of the field, but it's very odd to call him a Republican (a lot of this also applies to Daley, for that matter)

Well, I don't think any major candidate is a "normal" Republican. If we're talking about candidates above asterisk level that Republicans might support, Wilson is definitely up there.

Edit: I mean, Vallas, who you listed, was literally Pat Quinn's running mate in 2014.

Also, re:your next comment, Eniya is a complete non factor who will finish like 12th
She's fourth in the most recent polling.

Could you link me the poll? The best poll I've seen for Eniya was the recent CTU poll that had her at 7%, behind Preckwinkle, Mendoza, Daley, and McCarthy. And I expect her to fall, not rise, during the campaign because she has no money and barely any campaign infrastructure.

I can't imagine thinking Mendoza is to the right of, say, Preckwinkle. Could you expand on your thoughts here?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 11:47:04 AM by Mr. Illini »

the "Republican" in the race is not Daley, and certainly not Wilson. Daley stands for the interests of the city's wealthy elite, but that's not synonymous with Republicans, especially in Chicago -- it's more or less a lot of the same people who backed Rahm. The candidates who are actively attempting to court Republicans (appearing at GOP events, targeting GOP voters, etc) are Joyce, Fioretti, Kozlar, McCarthy and Vallas, the latter two of whom are the most serious. Vallas, hilariously, showed up at my college's College Republicans meeting, and recently received the endorsement of Bruce Rauner. McCarthy, meanwhile, is pursuing the votes of every cop in the city

if you're a Republican in Chicago, you're probably voting for McCarthy if you're one of the northwest side Republicans, and Vallas if you're one of the rich Republicans who wants to privatize every function of city government. Also a decent chance of voting for Joyce or Kozlar, depending on neighborhood ties (southwest side for the former, Canaryville for the latter). No idea who's voting for Fioretti, but someone is lmao

Also, re:your next comment, Eniya is a complete non factor who will finish like 12th, and I would certainly add Mendoza is a progressive liberal.

No, she is certainly not. She has fallen in line with Madigan and the rest of the machine every step of the way. She cites Madigan and Ed Burke as her mentors. She is no reformist nor progressive.

What kind of metric is that? You don't necessarily have to be a reformist to be a progressive or liberal. Preckwinkle, for example, is also a machine politician... and is far more dependent on her machine ties than Mendoza (Mendoza actually has a strong personal brand at this point. Without her machine ties Preckwinkle would have no hope of making the runoff.)

Preckwinkle actually has a record of progressive opposition. As alderman, she voted many times against Daley's budgets. One time, she was the only one to do so. As Board President, she has made significant investments in criminal justice reform and restorative justice/recidivism reduction programs. She has a strong record on affordable housing. She opposed the parking meter deal. She pushed for weed decriminalization. She opposed Rahm on the school closings.

Preckwinkle has certainly made friends with certain individuals in order to avoid conflict with those individuals, but that is trumped by her progressive record. What is Mendoza's progressive record?
BundouYMB

« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:11 AM »

the "Republican" in the race is not Daley, and certainly not Wilson. Daley stands for the interests of the city's wealthy elite, but that's not synonymous with Republicans, especially in Chicago -- it's more or less a lot of the same people who backed Rahm. The candidates who are actively attempting to court Republicans (appearing at GOP events, targeting GOP voters, etc) are Joyce, Fioretti, Kozlar, McCarthy and Vallas, the latter two of whom are the most serious. Vallas, hilariously, showed up at my college's College Republicans meeting, and recently received the endorsement of Bruce Rauner. McCarthy, meanwhile, is pursuing the votes of every cop in the city

if you're a Republican in Chicago, you're probably voting for McCarthy if you're one of the northwest side Republicans, and Vallas if you're one of the rich Republicans who wants to privatize every function of city government. Also a decent chance of voting for Joyce or Kozlar, depending on neighborhood ties (southwest side for the former, Canaryville for the latter). No idea who's voting for Fioretti, but someone is lmao

Also, re:your next comment, Eniya is a complete non factor who will finish like 12th, and I would certainly add Mendoza is a progressive liberal.

No, she is certainly not. She has fallen in line with Madigan and the rest of the machine every step of the way. She cites Madigan and Ed Burke as her mentors. She is no reformist nor progressive.

What kind of metric is that? You don't necessarily have to be a reformist to be a progressive or liberal. Preckwinkle, for example, is also a machine politician... and is far more dependent on her machine ties than Mendoza (Mendoza actually has a strong personal brand at this point. Without her machine ties Preckwinkle would have no hope of making the runoff.)

Preckwinkle actually has a record of progressive opposition. As alderman, she voted many times against Daley's budgets. One time, she was the only one to do so. As Board President, she has made significant investments in criminal justice reform and restorative justice/recidivism reduction programs. She has a strong record on affordable housing. She opposed the parking meter deal.

Preckwinkle has certainly made friends with certain individuals in order to avoid conflict with those individuals, but that is trumped by her progressive record. What is Mendoza's progressive record?

Well, she supported moving to a progressive income tax system and raising the minimum wage. Opposing Madigan is just political suicide, especially if you're a state representative.

I want to be clear I'm not against Preckwinkle or disagreeing that she's a solid progressive. I just can't see her as being that different on the issues from Mendoza, and I really can't see her being more of an outsider.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2019, 11:57:04 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 12:02:25 PM by Mr. Illini »

Preckwinkle actually has a record of progressive opposition. As alderman, she voted many times against Daley's budgets. One time, she was the only one to do so. As Board President, she has made significant investments in criminal justice reform and restorative justice/recidivism reduction programs. She has a strong record on affordable housing. She opposed the parking meter deal.

Well, she supported moving to a progressive income tax system and raising the minimum wage. Opposing Madigan is just political suicide, especially if you're a state representative.

I want to be clear I'm not against Preckwinkle or disagreeing that she's a solid progressive. I just can't see her as being that different on the issues from Mendoza, and I really can't see her being more of an outsider.

Preckwinkle favors the progressive income tax and has been calling for a $15 minimum wage for some time.

I think you're off base here. Preckwinkle is considered to be more progressive than Mendoza.

Also, to circle back to the earlier point, it is very difficult to be considered a progressive if you're tied up with the machine. Ironically, Preckwinkle is probably the best example of it. Mendoza is more tied up than anyone else (save maybe Chico) - she got married at Ed Burke's house, for cryin out loud. We're not just talking about national political issues here. Locally, reform is part of the progressive platform.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2019, 01:07:45 PM »

Well, I don't think any major candidate is a "normal" Republican. If we're talking about candidates above asterisk level that Republicans might support, Wilson is definitely up there.

Edit: I mean, Vallas, who you listed, was literally Pat Quinn's running mate in 2014.

This is the Willie Wilson experience. His politics are esoteric in a way that positions him as "conservative" but which certainly does not appeal him to the Republicans who actually vote in these things -- I expect his vote patterns will have very little statistical relationship w/ Trump or Rauner's percentage.

All of these people are Democrats, it's true, but the part of the story you're missing is the fury the Vallas pick generated -- he is and has always been a privatizer.

Could you link me the poll? The best poll I've seen for Eniya was the recent CTU poll that had her at 7%, behind Preckwinkle, Mendoza, Daley, and McCarthy. And I expect her to fall, not rise, during the campaign because she has no money and barely any campaign infrastructure.
I'm referring to the CTU poll, in which she was tied for fourth with McCarthy. Not sure why you'd expect her to fall -- she's at 7% with no money, and the news cycle since that CTU poll has been, uh, less than favorable for the people above her.

I can't imagine thinking Mendoza is to the right of, say, Preckwinkle. Could you expand on your thoughts here?
Mendoza is Madigan's candidate and is significantly to the right of Preckwinkle as a result.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »

A new Sun Times/We Ask America poll shows Preckwinkle narrowly leading the pack ahead of Daley with a large share of respondents still undecided.

However, in head to head match ups against Mendoza and Daley, Preckwinkle loses both.

https://www.scribd.com/document/398217562/Sun-Times-Chicago-Mayoral-Jan-2019-Draft
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2019, 10:32:56 AM »

voted for Lightfoot
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2019, 07:03:14 PM »

Glad to see the good people of Chicago coming back to their loving overlords, the Daleys 🥰
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »

And Ameya? Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »

And Ameya!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2019, 09:12:59 AM »

Highly respected and beloved Congressman Bobby Rush has endorsed Daley.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-bobby-rush-endorses-bill-daley-20190131-story.html
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »

Co-founder of Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party endorses son of man who murdered Fred Hampton
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »

Laura Ricketts backs Mendoza, to co-chair campaign despite brother's financial support of Daley

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-laura-ricketts-susana-mendoza-20190131-story.html

I don't get it. I really do not see the appeal of Mendoza.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »

I wouldn’t be excited about any of the candidates but I guess I would vote for Daley.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2019, 07:54:33 PM »

Lets go Gary!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2019, 09:44:28 PM »

Preckwrinkle will be the next mayor, her time as County Commissioner was a reformed effort that ended the Stroger corruption. She will root out corruption in Chicago.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »

I wouldn’t be excited about any of the candidates but I guess I would vote for Daley.
why? are you a real estate developer?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »

Preckwrinkle will be the next mayor, her time as County Commissioner was a reformed effort that ended the Stroger corruption. She will root out corruption in Chicago.

I really want to think that, but why did she endorse Berrios? Why did she cuddle up to Burke?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »

The Sun Times endorses Lori Lightfoot

https://bit.ly/2TF5Asf

She still probably has no chance, but I love it anyway.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:20 AM »

Republican mega-donor drops big money on Daley

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-ken-griffin-bill-dailey-donation-20190212-story.html
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »

Chicago Tribune endorses Daley.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-chicago-mayor-endorse-20190210-story.html
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »

Only a Daley can fix Chicago.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »

as if we needed two more reasons to vote for anyone but Daley
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2019, 08:33:23 PM »

It doesn't matter in any meaningful way, obviously, but I'd interested in hearing why a lot of lefties appear to support Lori Lightningbolt over Amara.

I like Amara, but I don't want an expanded sales tax (regressive) or a city income tax.

Lightfoot, Enyia, and Preckwinkle are my top three, but Lightfoot aligns with me on essentially every issue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies