People are leaving california due to housing costs and taxes.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:56:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  People are leaving california due to housing costs and taxes.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: People are leaving california due to housing costs and taxes.  (Read 1204 times)
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/californians-fed-up-with-housing-costs-and-taxes-are-fleeing-state.html

People are leaving california due to housing and taxes. Do you think maybe California might lose a seat in 2020?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:36:48 PM »

I'd imagine population growth would at least cancel it out.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »

It's possible, but unlikely, that California loses a seat after 2020. If it does, it will be because it isn't keeping up with growth elsewhere fast enough, not because it is losing population. It isn't.

Riverside County, CA added the third-most new residents of any US county from 2016-17.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:42:06 PM »

Lol no, California may be losing some people, but it's still gaining a lot more. My hometown in the Bay Area continues to build more houses as well as the neighboring cities. It seems like every year there are more and more people on the road. As someone who actually lives in California I can assure you that we aren't losing population.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:38 PM »

Lol no, California may be losing some people, but it's still gaining a lot more. My hometown in the Bay Area continues to build more houses as well as the neighboring cities. It seems like every year there are more and more people on the road. As someone who actually lives in California I can assure you that we aren't losing population.
no, but you've gotta at least acknowledge there's a significant domestic net outmigration that's hindering its growth
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »

no, but you've gotta at least acknowledge there's a significant domestic net outmigration that's hindering its growth
In a state with almost 40 million people, 138,000 leaving in a year is not a significant amount.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:41:48 PM »

Seems to me like California's growth model involves replacing less well off people leaving with better off people coming in.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 10:10:17 PM »

In a state with almost 40 million people, 138,000 leaving in a year is not a significant amount.
uh idk if comparing the total population with a yearly rate makes sense
and it is significant the yearly population growth is less than 300,000, it could be a lot higher if net migration were even
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »

Seems to me like California's growth model involves replacing less well off people leaving with better off people coming in.

My impression is that California is attracting poor immigrants and the well off while losing the middle class through out migration. Is this incorrect?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 05:07:55 PM »

My impression is that California is attracting poor immigrants and the well off while losing the middle class through out migration. Is this incorrect?

That's kind of hard to pin down though, because in some parts of California "middle class" is someone who makes $100,000 a year.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »

I can't dispute that housing costs are very troubling for California. It really is an outright crisis that needs to be resolved. I don't think taxes have anything to do with the net domestic outmigration. It has everything to do with housing prices. The Bay Area is anywhere from $2.5k-5k/month and Los Angeles is over $2k/month.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »

California rank 17th in % population growth from 2010 - 2017, still above the national average. So it won't lose any, but most likely won't gain one either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies