FL-SEN: Scott Pursuit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:53:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN: Scott Pursuit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Author Topic: FL-SEN: Scott Pursuit  (Read 45863 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »

Isn't it custom for sitting senators not to campaign against each other? Especially as Nelson seems to model himself as one of the more constituent based senators 
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »

Isn't it custom for sitting senators not to campaign against each other? Especially as Nelson seems to model himself as one of the more constituent based senators 
That's correct.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »

Looks like Rubio's not gonna have Scott's back.

I don’t believe he and Scott particularly like each other
I have no idea as to what their relationship with one another is like, but I do know that the Scott and Rubio orbits seemed (or at least did a few years ago) to have existed entirely apart. You'd almost think Rubio was the Senator from Cuba or something considering how little pull he actually seems to have in Tally. Which is weird because he used to be Speaker.

Its almost like as if they don't respect him!

In fact, everyone in town when I first dropped in (~late Summer) were Jeb! supporters. Everyone. Even Matt Gaetz, who was among the first major Florida politicians to ditch and switch for Trump. Tallahassee might have well been called Jeb! City. This is the only place I have ever really even seen Jeb! stickers on cars, and that was like once two years ago.

I suppose I could see a federal politician more in tune with the Miami expats than the greasy wheels in Tallahassee not being super tight with a Hovernor more focused on state issues.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »

Tossup.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 12:49:34 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2018, 01:20:00 PM by UWS »

I have no idea as to what their relationship with one another is like, but I do know that the Scott and Rubio orbits seemed (or at least did a few years ago) to have existed entirely apart. You'd almost think Rubio was the Senator from Cuba or something considering how little pull he actually seems to have in Tally. Which is weird because he used to be Speaker.

In fact, everyone in town when I first dropped in (~late Summer) were Jeb! supporters. Everyone. Even Matt Gaetz, who was among the first major Florida politicians to ditch and switch for Trump. Tallahassee might have well been called Jeb! City. This is the only place I have ever really even seen Jeb! stickers on cars, and that was like once two years ago.

I suppose I could see a federal politician more in tune with the Miami expats than the greasy wheels in Tallahassee not being super tight with a Hovernor more focused on state issues.

Actually Rubio said his relationship with Scott is positive and that he will endorse the Republican senatorial nominee and that if Scott runs it will be him.

And even if he doesn't campaign against Nelson, he can campaign FOR Scott. He can campaign for Scott without speaking out against Nelson and talk about what Scott will do better instead of what the candidate of the opposite party will do worse. After all, John McCain campaigned for George W. Bush in 2004 without campaigning against John Kerry with whom he has a great friendship.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 01:34:37 PM »

Actually Rubio said his relationship with Scott is positive and that he will endorse the Republican senatorial nominee and that if Scott runs it will be him.

And even if he doesn't campaign against Nelson, he can campaign FOR Scott. He can campaign for Scott without speaking out against Nelson and talk about what Scott will do better instead of what the candidate of the opposite party will do worse. After all, John McCain campaigned for George W. Bush in 2004 without campaigning against John Kerry with whom he has a great friendship.
Rubio and Scott are not tight - they aren’t allies or teammates in any real way. Rubio literally is the ultimate politician, minus the ability to execute Machiavellian maneuvers behind the scene. He’ll endorse Scott but stay respectful of Nelson, making everyone happy because Lil Marco is a mere people pleaser at the end of the day.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 08:50:39 PM »

Lean D (closer to Tossup than Likely), but I wouldn’t be surprised if Nelson underperformed on election day even in a D wave. Gonna guess Nelson +3 for now.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »

It might actually be in Scott’s interest not to campaign with Rubio at all
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 09:18:07 PM »

I'm not so sure actually: he won both his previous elections narrowly despite being in Republican wave years, and his response to Parkland hasn't been great.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »

Nelson will be fine. Every single one of his opponents has been hyped up and fizzled out.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »

He’s in.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »

Tilt D/Lean D.

It will be a marquee Senate race of 2018, however.
Lamda

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »

Lean D.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »

Endorsed.

Though I would probably bet my money on a Nelson win.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »

Lean D -> Lean D
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »

Good. Let the GOP waste its money and attention on a futile pickup, and let Scott make his kids hate him by wasting their inheritance as well.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »

Good. Let the GOP waste its money and attention on a futile pickup, and let Scott make his kids hate him by wasting their inheritance as well.

You honestly don't see how this could be bad for the Democrats even if Nelson wins?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

You honestly don't see how this could be bad for the Democrats even if Nelson wins?

^^^
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

I will say it 1000 times: Florida is easily the most overhyped Senate race of the 2018 cycle. Nelson should win comfortably by at least 6 points. Scott is going to get Macked.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 08:45:37 PM »

Lean D (closer to Tossup than Likely), but I wouldn’t be surprised if Nelson underperformed on election day even in a D wave. Gonna guess Nelson +3 for now.
funny joke. Nelson smacks his opponents, its just what he does
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 11:00:13 AM »

Did Scott think he could just waltz into the Senate seat?

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »

God, Rick Scott is just horrible.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:28 PM »

On the other hand, Scott was way behind in both his races for governor and was way less popular than he is now. Nelson has also not faced a real race in 18 years
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »

Nelson +3
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 05:08:44 PM »

On the other hand, Scott was way behind in both his races for governor and was way less popular than he is now. Nelson has also not faced a real race in 18 years

Remind me, pandaguineapig. What was the political environment like in "both his races for governor"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies