Zinke tells employees diversity isn't important
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Zinke tells employees diversity isn't important
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Zinke tells employees diversity isn't important  (Read 2278 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks like nobody's going to be saying "Konichiwa!" to him anytime soon!
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks like nobody's going to be saying "Konichiwa!" to him anytime soon!

Seems that being from the same city as Richard Spencer is rubbing off on him.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »

When Zinke thinks about diversity in the Interior Department, he thinks about having some regulators poached from coal, some from gas, and some from oil.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »

Any problem here is not that he won't focus on diversity. It's what he might focus on instead.
Joey1996

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 04:55:59 PM »

Gaffe after gaffe with this clown.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »

Unsurprising.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »

Diversity isn’t important for most tasks although in public policy I think it is.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:08:03 PM »

Only in the left-wing lala world is that a gaffe. "What's important is having the right person for the right job" is a good statement. Zinke is completely right: diversity for the sake of diversity is nonsense. Just hire the best people regardless of their color, religion etc.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »

Only in the left-wing lala world is that a gaffe. "What's important is having the right person for the right job" is a good statement. Zinke is completely right.

That's ironic considering he's doing a terrible job while grifting at the tax payers expense
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:52 PM »

Only in the left-wing lala world is that a gaffe. "What's important is having the right person for the right job" is a good statement. Zinke is completely right: diversity for the sake of diversity is nonsense. Just hire the best people regardless of their color, religion etc.

Even if this was actually true, in practice "having the right person for the job" is an excuse for not hiring women and minorities.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »

Even if this was actually true, in practice "having the right person for the job" is an excuse for not hiring women and minorities.
It's not.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »

Because a member of the Trump Administration - home of Betsy DeVos, Ben Carson, and Jared Kushner - is in such a good position to be talking about the importance of hiring people based on merit.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »

Because a member of the Trump Administration - home of Betsy DeVos, Ben Carson, and Jared Kushner - is in such a good position to be talking about the importance of hiring people based on merit.
Bad picks, absolutely agreed. Trump didn't pick the best people. Doesn't make the concept of picking the best people any less valuable. It makes Trump bad at picking the best people.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 07:51:42 PM »

It's not.

Hmm, you have convinced me. Offices that are staffed with exclusively upper middle class white guys suddenly seem pretty good to me.
kyc0705

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:13 PM »

Correct. Separating "diversity" with "hiring the right person" creates the implication that a diverse staff can't also be filled with qualified employees.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 08:01:58 PM »

It's not.
Statistically, assuming systemic biases don't exist,  the "best person for the job" would only be a straight white dude about 30-35% of the time. Funny how that doesn't happen.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »

what is it with orange avatars and contrarianism
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 08:39:24 PM »

Comes with the package. Would a Ryan Zinke, for some reason committed to diversity, but with the exact same policies otherwise, be any better?
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »

Comes with the package. Would a Ryan Zinke, for some reason committed to diversity, but with the exact same policies otherwise, be any better?

A diverse workforce provides benefits, mainly from (but not limited to) diversity of experience. E.g., it would be shameful to have an Interior Department which had no input from Native Americans on land use issues and monument protection (and of course the department's overall policy with Native Americans). Even if decisions at the executive level are run through Zinke, he doesn't micromanage the agency such that the decisions of every single employee are run by him. An agency where every member is from the Texas Oilfields will not have an expansive, holistic view of how to execute policy.

Additionally, on a personal level for the employees there, having a diverse workforce makes employees who are not from a majority group feel more welcome and personally satisfied than a non-diverse workforce does.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »

This is a very tepid statement that 20 years ago all conservatives and half of liberals would have taken no issue with. Only the hard left would have been opposed. Of course, now all liberals and half of conservatives are hard left (at least on "diversity" issues). Hope for race blind meritocracy is all but dead. The left think it's "racist". They don't even know what they want in its place but it will probably end up being a Bosnia or Lebanon style situation.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »

The answer is no, but that isn’t the point I’m trying to make.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 09:32:25 PM »

His last statement here is actually a reasonably good one.

But the orange avatars et al are missing the point. The issue isn't when you prioritize "hiring the best person" over diversity. It's when you obsess over branding yourself as "anti-diversity".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »

ya know, when people say "it seems like a new stupid thing every day, why don't you focus on the big, actually harmful things Trump is doing?"?  This is the kind of sh**t they're talking about.  Now, I'm not telling you guys that you shouldn't post things like this as I'm not your mother nor "that kind of asshole" (though I'm pretty sure some of you have been "that kind of asshole"), I'm just saying perhaps focus on, ya know, actual bad things.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »

ya know, when people say "it seems like a new stupid thing every day, why don't you focus on the big, actually harmful things Trump is doing?"?  This is the kind of sh**t they're talking about.  Now, I'm not telling you guys that you shouldn't post things like this as I'm not your mother nor "that kind of asshole" (though I'm pretty sure some of you have been "that kind of asshole"), I'm just saying perhaps focus on, ya know, actual bad things.

Too bad I used up all of my oxygen pointing out how dumb this thing Zinke said was. If only I still had my breath, I'd be able to talk about the actual bad things. But alas, I can't. If only there was a way we could talk about more than one thing simultaneously.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies