Alternate 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:06:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alternate 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Alternate 1996  (Read 14038 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2004, 08:21:45 PM »

Part I

January, 1996:  H. Ross Perot announces that, after mcuh consideration, he will not run for president this time around.  This breaths new life into the GOP effort for the Presidency.  The Clinton people are worried.

Pat Buchnan quickly moves to court the Perot crowd.

Feb. 12th:  Bob Dole wins the Iowa caucus
                 Buchanan comes in 2nd

Feb. 20th: Pat Buchanan stuns the political world by winning big in New Hampshire.  Dole's people get worried, but think that it is only a fluk.  They continue the campaign into Delaware.

Feb. 24th: Dole wins the Delaware primary, but Buchanan comes in only 5% behind Dole, a shocking indication of where thinngs are going in this left-leaning moderate state.  Dole begins to question his campaign.  He is now close to being over-takenin a race that was said to be his for certain.

Feb. 27th:  Dole loses the North Dakota primary to Buchanan by 8%.  Dole wins in South Dakota, but by only 3%.  Dole loses in Arizona by 1%.  Buchanan is now considered by many observers to have the momentum going into South Carolina.

March 2nd:  The race has now come down to three candidates: Bob Dole, Pat Buchanan and Lamar Alexander.  Most believe that, if Buchanan wins here, he will have the momentum to over come Dole in future primaries.  Alexander only hopes to get on the map.  The results confirm what Dole's people had feared.  Buchanan wins by a vote of 46%-44% for Dole-10% for Alexander.

Dole fires his campaign manager before the next round of primaries and, on the advice of a friend, picks up Karl Rove, an up and coming political star who help another up-comer George W. Bush defeat the popular Ann Richards for the Texas governorship.

Rove meets Dole and tells him right away that he is conducting his campaign all wrong.  Rove tells Dole that he should emphasis his political expierience and "gravitas" while at the same time allowing his humorous and personible side to show and above all, he needed to shake his "Republican Attack Dog" Image and he must not allow himself to be defined by the far right wing of the party.  He should allow his moderate side to show.

March 5th:  Although Dole doesn't have enough time to reveal his new image before these primaries, he does manage to hold onto some key states.  Centrist Republicans who are terrified of Buchanan come out to support Dole.

Dole wins in Maryland, Georgia, Colorado, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Buchanan only manages wins in Maine and Vermont.

March 7th: Dole wins the New York primary.

March 12th (Super Tuesday):  Dole's momentum builds.  His new image and fear of Buchanan seem to be driving the party toward the Dole machine.

Dole wins in Texas, Massachusettes, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Oregon.  He manages to defeat Buchanan in Florida by only 3,000 votes, but a win is a win.

Buchanan can only manage a win in Mississippi.

The rest of the primart season is just padding for the Dole victory.  Buchanan manages to win in Utah and Wyoming, but these are meaningless.  Dole's victory is sealed with a win in his homestate of Kansas.

The extended primary season (a full month longer than in the OTL) means that Clinton has to wait longer to start his attacks on Dole.

After the promise of a cabinet post, Buchanan swears not to run on a third party ticket.

As the Republican Convention in San Diego approuches, there is only one question remaining for the Republicans: who sould be the VP nominee?

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 08:28:45 PM »

Part II coming up as soon as I have the time.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 08:43:21 PM »

How do I take a map directly off of the EV calculator?
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 08:53:31 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2004, 08:54:01 PM by Gubernatorial Candidate Wildcard »

go to the very edge of the map(where its white) right click then copy and paste the whole URL into the post box like you would anyother image.

Also great "what-if?" so far Super!

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 09:43:31 PM »

go to the very edge of the map(where its white) right click then copy and paste the whole URL into the post box like you would anyother image.

That doesn't work on mine for some odd reason.  How do i post an image from paint?

Oh, there is much much more to come.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 10:27:12 PM »

That doesn't work on mine for some odd reason.  How do i post an image from paint?

Oh wait... did you make this image on your computer? If so you'll have to find a place to host the image.

And great man I can't wait to read it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 10:58:41 PM »

Part II

Going in to the convention, Dole realizes that now, more than in past elections, who he chooses as his VP could make or break the ticket.  The polls show the race at 45% Clinton, 43% Dole and the rest undecided.

He, Rove and the Dole campaign advisors come-up with a list of good VP candidates who would be able to add to the ticket.

Pat Buchanan, Dick Cheney, Colin Powell, Lamar Alexander, Dick Armey, John Warner and way at the bottom, Arlen Specter.

Pat Buchanan is eliminated right away.  He is too dangerous and would turn off too many moderates.  

Colin Powell is chased hard by the Dole people.  He is the one they want.  His views would balance the ticket and his war record and name recongnition would be a huge boost.  He turns it down.

Dick Cheney is deep inside the oil business and though, he has name recongnition, he could enlarge the sereo-type of Republicans and big-bussiness.  He is eliminated.

Lamar Alexander would help in the south, especially Tennessee and Kentucky, but he is too bland and doesn't have enough expierience to make up for it.

Dick Armey is too partisan.

John Warner, too bland and he is from reliable old Virginia.

Finally, they come to Specter.  His views aren't much different from many of Powell's.  He could expand Dole's "big tent" by bringing in some of the "soccer" moms.  He comes from an important states.  He has years of Expiriance.  Statisticians run the numbers.  Specter might cost Dole Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi.  But could bring in Pennsylvania, Colorado, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico, break the statistical dead heat in Ohio and pad Dole's lead in Virginia, Missiouri and Florida.  In the end, after much agonizing and considering possible baggage, they decide to go with Specter.

Dole arrives in San Diego on the night on August, 15th to make his acceptance speech.

In his speech, Dole says, "They said that they would reform the Health Care system to bring affordible Health Care to all Americans.  So what did they do?  They met in secret.  They went behind the American peoples backs.  And when they were called on it, no one took responsibilty, they just all shruged their shulders and nothing was accomplished.  I promise that there will be Health Care Reform if I am elected.  They had their chance, they didn't do it.  My fellow Americans, this Administration had their chance. They have not kept their promises.  They have not led.  We will."

"They promised education reform.  But today, our schools are in worse shape than ever.  Students are not learning.  Parents sit back helpless.  My fellow Americans, this Administration had thier chance.  They have not kept their promises.  They have not led.  We will."

"Clinton and Clinton promised a middle class tax cut.  Instead, they have created the largest tax increase in history.  I promise that if elected, their will be a middle-class tax cut.  My Fellow Americans, this Administration had their chance.  They have not kept their promises.  they have not led.  We will. "

He concludes by saying "I want to be the president who can maintain the great traditions of this nation, while at the same time biulding bridges to the future".  (A line similar to this was originally slated to go into the Clinton acceptance speech, but was taken out due to the similarity) "that is the kind of leadership that America needs for the 21st century.  I have a vision for the future America.  My future is one that I will be pround to pass onto my grandchildren.  And if you join me, it is one that we will all be proud to pass onto generations to come.  Thank you.  God Bless all of You and God Bless America."

Dole recieves an impressive post convention bounce (Dole 49%, Clinton 43%).  But the hard part is yet to come.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 11:19:31 PM »

Oh wait... did you make this image on your computer? If so you'll have to find a place to host the image.

And great man I can't wait to read it.

I intend to take this thing to at least 2004.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 06:11:16 PM »

He wasn't governor back then
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 06:33:56 PM »

Yes he was. He was elected in 1994.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2004, 06:38:58 PM »

sorry

but I doubt he would have been chosen after 2 years.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 07:17:02 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2004, 07:17:19 PM by Senator Harry, PPT-Senate »

Dole/Specter would have won Mississippi.

good work Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 10:45:08 PM »

I haven't given up on this by the way.  Part III and IV will be up by Monday.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 12:26:56 AM »

PartIII

The Democratic Convention goes off well.  All the events leading up to the Clinton speech work to energize the Dems while presenting a moderate image to America.

The nation waits to see what Clinton will say.  May are disappointed, however, the sudden rewording of Clinton's acceptance speech doesn't go well for the President.  The speech comes off flater than many of the classic Clinton speeches (the Democrats would later blame Republican dirty tricks, claiming that Republican agents had stolen a copy of the Clinton speech and rewrote their's to steal some of Clinton's thunder; many claim now, however, that the Clinton speech hadn't even been in it's final rewrite when Dole made his speech, so it is very unlikely that the Republicans could have taken a copy of it).  None the less things go off well.  After the convention, polls show that the race is now at 47% Clinton and  42% for Dole.

Now the real campaign begins.  Dole starts out by emphasising the record of the promises that the Clinton administration made, and broke, mainly on middle class tax cuts, welfare reform, medicare and education.  Dole focuses on this strategy for about two weeks, just to put it in peoples minds and then starts pulling out with a more possitive message.

Rove also comes up with a devious strategy.  He convices the Republican National Committee to launch attacks on the most liberal Democratic Senators who are up for reelection, even the safe ones.  The Republicans comply.  Many question this move.  Why waste money and resources going after safe Senators.  However, the method eventually becomes apparent.  The attacks force Clinton to defend the possitions of the most liberal members of his party which creates a contradictory image of him and denies him some freedom to move to the center.

Dole, for his part concentrates on the themes of his own personal struggle and leadership, renewing the tarnished greatness of American society (but not moving to the hard right), reforming education and increasing federal funding and local control, reforming congress, combating domestic and international terrorism, granting 400 billion dollars in tax cuts (with an empahsis on the middle class while having a 5% cut for the upperclasses), restoring the American military, formulating a clear purpose and exit strategy in Bosnia, increasing US involvement in the middle-east peace process and creating an effective and cost effective means of providing affordible Health Care to the poorest Americans.

In an appeal to the lower class, Clinton approves a $1.50 raise in the minimum wage.  Many complain that this is too much and will have negative effects on the economy in the end.  Clinton shifts possitions and moves it back to a $.90 increase a move that alienates a small percentages of voters.

When Clinton stratigist Dick Morris is forced to out of the Clinton campaign, Dole resists the urge to make political hay out of it, instead saying that, "everyone makes mistakes, Mr. Morris is a good man and I hope he can recover".

In early Sept. Clinton launches cruise missle attacks against Iraq for it's invasion of Kurdish territory.  Dole openly questions in public why we aren't doing more to stop Saddam Hussien.

In late September, the Federal Aviation Commision gives the okay for ValuJet to continue flights after a fatal and unexplained crash that killed 109 people.  Dole cites this and other recent crashes as a reason for aviation reform.  He proposes to impliment federal screen of airline employees and also proposes that some airport employees be given federal employment status.  Dole says that making our skies safer will "protect the American people and boost the economy".

Dole made sure to talk about issues that were key to former Perot supporters, such as congressional reform, campaign finance reform (mainly regulations of soft money) and presenting a balances budget by 2000.  Dole also seperated himself from the Clinton "balanced budget" by claiming that his efforts would not included "slashing the military budget or raising taxes", but rather cutting back on government waste.

The Democrats concentrated their efforts on emphasising Clinton's personality, rather than the issues.  They focused on moving Clinton to the center, but were hindered by Republican efforts to keep Clinton back.  Clinton attacked Dole saying that his efforts to balance the budget would be the end of social security.  The jokes flew abut the age of the Republican ticket.  Dole was 72, Specter 62, but as the campaign progressed and Dole continued to keep an over-all possitive image, people began to aggree that Dole's age was less and less a factor, indeed he acctually started to seem like a younger man.

On, September 18th, Dole fell of the stage when the railing of the platform he was on collapsed.  doel took it in stride saying, "I've taken harder falls on the Senate floor".  Dole's sense of humor turned the potentially embaracing event into a mini-equivilant of the TR "It takes more than that to kill a bullmoose" speech.

Dole's concentration on the themes of strong leadership contrasted sharply with Clinton's vauge claims of being a man who rejected party politics.  Clinton used hard figures to show the economic development that had occured under his administration.  Dole contered with figures that proved many of his points.  The fact that Dole used hard numbers, rather than vauge generalizations (as occured in the OTL) gave his candidacy an air of legitimacy that it would otherwise not have had.

The first debate ended in a draw, but in post debate polls, 63% said that they thought that Dole came off well, even if only 41% believed that he had won (the numbers for Clinton were 61% and 42% respectivly).

The second debate ended in another draw, but this time, Dole was slightly favored in both categories (62%-61% & 45%-43%).

An important event in the campaign came n late Oct. when Clinton made a token campaign appearance for Sen. John Kerry in Mass.  Ted Kennedy was the first speaker of the day.  He was slashing the opposition ticket when he remarked  "... and Arlen Specter, what can I say about him?  If he can come-up with something as idiotic as the 'magic bullet theory' then how can we trust him, if something happens that he should be put in charge?  What do you think about the 'magic deficit theory' or the 'magic terrorist theory', unlike our Republican opponents, we believe in real answers, not magic."  The remark, unchallenges by Clinton reaked of partisan and personal bitterness and turned off some moderates.

As the raced headed into early Nov. the polls showed it at 48%-47% Clinton advantage.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 10:42:32 AM »

Part III is now out.  I'll post Part IV sometime today.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 11:52:58 AM »

*Waiting expectantly* Smiley

I see that you're trying to rationalize a Dole win with this long build-up... Wink

Make it an electino nigh, split into several posts, to keep excitement high... Cheesy
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 12:09:09 PM »

*Waiting expectantly* Smiley

I see that you're trying to rationalize a Dole win with this long build-up... Wink

Make it an election nigh, split into several posts, to keep excitement high... Cheesy

How about have a made-up networks coverage...

"A.N.B" – American Nation Broadcasting

Moderator (Jim): Well John thaks for that and welcome to an exciting election night edition of "America Decides".. in the studio we have.. Swedish Ambassador Gustaf, Professor Ben of Alabama State (hey its not that great a network ok! Cheesy )  and Senator Harry of Mississippi and no doubt a few other througout the evening... So Ben, what do you see happening over the next few hours?

Ben: Well its a game of turn out Jim, I would be expecting Clinton to edge out Dole in a string of southern states and I think your going to see a much stronger Clinton win that some pollsters have been predicting... I just dont see Dole winning the necessary combination of states to be able to win... Clinton is too strong in the south for the GOP to take that as a bloc and I don’t think that Dole is strong enough to edge out Clinton in states like Ohio and Pennsylvania in the north... I could be wrong Jim,  but that’s what i think...

Moderator (Jim): Thanks for that Ben we'll just have to wait and see, Ambassador Gustaf what do you see happening tonight?    

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2004, 02:14:11 PM »

Keep going Super! I like it Smiley
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 02:16:53 PM »

You got me on the edge of my seat keep 'em coming Super
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 03:05:32 PM »

This is going to take a bit longer than I thought guys.  Part IV and V are going to have a whole sh**t load of maps.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 09:02:55 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2004, 09:04:07 PM by supersoulty »

Part IV

As the election approuches, Dole tries hard to get Perot's official endoursment, but fails.

On Sunday Nov. 3rd, Two days before the general election, USA Today puts the current states-by-state status of the general election:

The count is:
Clinton: 207
Dole: 175
Too Close to Call: 156

Dole makes one last speech in the "too close too call state" where Clinton is polling the highest, Wisconsin.  On Mon. Nov. 4th, Dole tells the voters of Wisconsin that "The question in this election is: Can we as a nation move on into this brave new future while keeping hold of those values and traditions that we all hold so dear as a nation?  Can we make for future generations a better America, while still honoring and maintaining the values that were cherised by generations past.  Make no mistake, I believe that America's road has always been the road to progress.  Our best day aren't behind us, they are yet to come.  A Dole administration will reflect that belief.  If elected we will see those days and we will preserve the future and promise of our great nation for all generations to come".

Dole then retreats back to Kansas.

Clinton spends his last campaign stop in Pennsylvania.  At a rally in Philadelphia, Clinton warns that if Dole is elected he will, "take away a woman's right to choose, eliminate Social Security, do away with Welfare and reverse all of the progress of the Clinton years".

Clinton then returns to Washington.

The final popular vote polls are all accross the board.  CNN/Gallup predicts a 50%-48% victory for Clinton.  The New York Times predicted a 52%-47% Clinton victory.  Roper puts the race at a 49%-49% tie.  A few polls predict slim Dole victories.  Most agree, however, that the race is too close to call to give a certain prediction on the outcome.

November, 5th 1996 arrives.  The polls open.  And a nation waits anxiously.

To be continued.  Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 10:26:19 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2004, 04:40:17 PM by supersoulty »

Part V

At 6:00

The polls close in Indiana and Kentucky.  The VNS immediatly calls both states for Dole

Clinton/Gore: 0

Dole/Specter: 20

At 7:00

The polls close in Florida, Georgia, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Vermont and Virginia.

South Carolina is called for Dole.

Vermont and New Hampshire are both called for Clinton.

Clinton/Gore: 7

Dole/Specter: 28

At 7:25

Virginia  called for Dole.

At 7:30

Geogia called for Dole.

Florida still "too close to call".

Polls close in North Carolina, Ohio and West Virginia.  All are labeled "too close to call".

Clinton/Gore: 7

Dole/Specter: 54

At 7:50

North Carolina called for Dole.  Ohio called for Clinton. West Virginia called for Clinton.

At 8:00

Polls close in Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, D.C., Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas.

Alabama, Kansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas are called for Dole.

Connecticut, Delaware, D.C., Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts and New Jersey are called for Clinton.

Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania and Tennessee all remain "too close to call".

Clinton/Gore: 110

Dole/Specter: 130

News of the loss in Ohio rocks the Dole camp.  It was one state that Dole strategists new that the almost certainly had to win in order to have any hope of winning the election, but it has gone Clinton.  the night is still young, however, and many larger states remain "too close to call".

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 09:49:31 AM »

Parts IV and V are out.  I'll post part VI sometime today.  Smiley
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 09:55:48 AM »

Keep it going.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 05:42:05 PM »

Part VI

At 8:25

Florida is finally called for Dole.  This breaths new life into the Dole camp.  Chances now look better that Dole could still yet pull off a win.

At 8:30

VNS calls Arkansas and Michigan for Clinton.  Dole has one more state to check off his list of hopefuls.  Spirits begin to wane once again at the Dole camp.

At 8:35

VNS calls Pennsylvania for Clinton.  Dole had been counting on Pennsylvania to win (PA being Specter's home state). Though Dole holds out hope, few see how a Dole victory can be possible now.  Dole decides to wait for the polls further west to close before he concedes, but he is seen walking around his campaign headquarters comforting workers and congratulating them on a good job, even if they didn't win.

Clinton/Gore: 157

Dole/Specter: 155

Missouri and Tennessee remain "too close to call".

Inspite of what is shaping up to be an apparent Clinton victory, the popular vot remains amazingly close.  The two candidates have leaped over one another continuously the entire evening.  No one seem to be pulling out to a distinct advantage.

At 9:00

Polls close in Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Louisiana, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York and Rhode Island are called for Clinton.

Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming called for Dole.

Arizona, Wisconsin, Tennessee and Missouri remain "too close to call".

Clinton/Gore: 218

Dole/Specter: 177

All the commentators on all of the major networks now aggree that the election is as good as over.  All Clinton must do is win California, which he is almost certain to do.

At 9:20

Tennessee is called for Dole.  Many merely see it as nothing more than a consolation prize for the Dole campaign.

At 9:40

Missouri is also called for Dole.  

Clinton/Gore: 218

Dole/Specter: 199

Though cheers go up at the Dole headquarters because of the two victories, victory celebrations have already begun at Clinton headquarters.

At 9:54

Dole is getting read yo call Clinton to congratulate him, when something odd happens on TV.

An aid hands Tom Brokaw a note.  Has Brokaw reads it, his eyes get visably wider and wider.  He turn to the aid and mouths "Are we sure"?  He then turns back around and looks into the camera.

"Ah, ladies and gentlemen" he says, "we have a... startling announcement...."

To be continued.  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies