NJ-Gov 2005.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-Gov 2005.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: NJ-Gov 2005.  (Read 20402 times)
Cashcow

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 09:14:25 PM »

You should be praying for a Corzine win so that your party can pick up a Senate seat.

If he loses the gubernatorial race I don't think he wins senate re-election.

If he has any balls he'll retire immediately.

Right, so that way the GOP has control of the seat for an extra 24 months.  Roll Eyes

Clearly you know nothing about New Jersey politics. Codey could beat Kean without too much trouble, and though it would be an uphill battle for Rep. Andrews, he'd pull through as well.

Kean is just a name. Like Casey, he may very well collapse in the end.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2005, 09:17:15 PM »

Apparently the Corzine camp believes they won both debates.  lol

I missed the radio debate tonight.  Anyone catch it?  If so, was it pretty even or another Forrester 'win'?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2005, 09:21:42 PM »
« Edited: October 11, 2005, 10:06:31 PM by nickshep democRAT »

In other news.  The other day I praised Forrester's 'Democrats For Forrester Ad'. 

Forresters 'Democrats for Forrester'/Corruption ad's are good though.

Well, after some investigating I found that not all of the 'Democrats' in Forrester's ad are really Democrats.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tired of the corruption huh, Dave?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 09:46:31 PM »

In other news.  The other day I praised Forrester's 'Democrats For Forrester Ad'.  Well, after some investigating I found that not all of the 'Democrats' in Forrester's ad are really Democrats.

Thats hilarious
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 09:48:09 PM »

FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY

Jon Corzine

48%

Doug Forrester

40%
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 12:12:58 AM »

FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY

Jon Corzine

48%

Doug Forrester

40%

True. Did you plan on contributing to the debate, or?

Whats wrong with him posting a new poll, other than it not showing the result you want??
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2005, 10:59:50 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2005, 11:01:26 AM by Keystone Phil »

In other news.  The other day I praised Forrester's 'Democrats For Forrester Ad'.  Well, after some investigating I found that not all of the 'Democrats' in Forrester's ad are really Democrats.

Thats hilarious

How is that hilarious? It's hurting your candidate, genius. One guy happened to be a Republican. Ok, not smart on the Forrester campaigns part but if you've ever seen those ads, he has a good deal of Dems on his side that are helping to swing this election.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 03:17:10 PM »

Governor Corzine has a kind of ring to it. Governor Forrester its kinda...ugnh......
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 06:58:37 PM »

Governor Corzine has a kind of ring to it. Governor Forrester its kinda...ugnh......

Now isn't that the most appropriate way to elect a Governor.

Yes I believe it is
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 10:46:58 PM »

10/13/05

Strategic Vision (via email):

Corzine 46%
Forrester 40%

Ill post the link when its available tomorrow.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 11:38:47 PM »

We are going to see a tightening.  This will be a barn burner on Election Night.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2005, 11:41:40 PM »

Well that's close the latest Strategic Vision poll (a known GOP polling firm) but much better for Corzine than it was two days ago.

I would say from Georgia, it looks better for New Jersey residents and voters to do the best thing and elect Corzine their next Governor.

Of course it could still go down to the wire.

(I also agree with Corzine's campaign, how well is Dubya a Republican running the country not very well.   So can Forrester also a Republican run the state of New Jersey very well, well if I take the Governor we have here in Georgia as an example, Governor Sunny "I have no clue" Perdue, also a Republican, than me thinks not very well that Forrester will run New Jersey).

And I also am one that believes that Kean, Jr. will not win the U.S. Senate race over anybody.   

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:47 PM »

duck...
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2005, 09:36:42 AM »

Giuliani stumps for Forrester, says change is needed in NJ.

SCOTCH PLAINS, N.J. -- Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Wednesday he'd do "whatever it takes" from now until Election Day to help get fellow Republican Doug Forrester elected governor of New Jersey.

Speaking at a hastily arranged rally at a Knights of Columbus lodge in central New Jersey, Giuliani told 175 or so party faithful, "This is a state that deserves the kind of honest, accountable leadership that Doug Forrester can bring."

Echoing New Jersey Republicans' mantra, "It's time for a change," Giuliani delivered a six-minute speech bursting with accolades for Forrester, who is in a tight race for governor against Democratic U.S. Sen. Jon Corzine.

Recent polls indicate Corzine's one-time double-digit advantage has shrunk to the low single digits with less than four weeks until the Nov. 8 election.

"Just so we're absolutely clear about it," Giuliani told an enthusiastic crowd, "I'm here for one purpose and one purpose alone: to endorse Doug Forrester for governor, to urge the people of New Jersey to vote, to give themselves the chance for reform, for change. And Doug Forrester can accomplish that."

Giuliani, who is considering a return to politics with a 2008 presidential bid, said $3 billion in tax reductions he instituted as mayor helped stimulate the city's economy and rein in its bloated budget.

"What Doug Forrester is talking about _ 30 percent reduction in the property tax, reducing spending _ is exactly the kind of discipline that will create economic revival and growth a year from now and two years from now," he said.

Giuliani also praised Forrester's failed 2002 Senate campaign, likening the experience to his own first bid for mayor, a race he lost by 2 percent of the vote.

"You learn a great deal when you come close and you do a good job but you lose an election," Giuliani said. "The campaign he's run this time is absolutely terrific, it's right on target."

When he was introduced by Forrester, Giuliani said "Thank you, Governor."

Standing outside in the rain after the event, Giuliani fielded questions for several minutes before jumping into a black SUV and being driven away.

Asked whether he'd continue to aid Forrester's gubernatorial bid, Giuliani said, "Any help that he needs. This is a very important election. If he wants me to do a commercial for him, I'll do a commercial for him. And if he wants me to do one for his opponent, I'll do one for his opponent. If that helps more, you never know!"

Figures released by election officials Wednesday, show $30 million has been spent on the race by Forrester and Corzine, two multimillionaires who are self-financing their campaigns.

Asked about the big money blitz, Forrester said he suggested to Corzine at the start of the race that both accept public matching funds, which would have capped what they spent.

"He declined," Forrester said of his opponent, "leaving me with no choice because of the caps in New jersey. He's throwing a tsunami of cash at this race."

The high-stakes race is likely to continue to draw the parties' biggest stars to New Jersey. Bill Clinton recently stumped for Corzine, and Laura Bush will visit on Forrester's behalf Friday.

There are no plans to bring President Bush to the Garden State. Forrester said scheduling conflicts likely would prevent an appearance by Bush, but did not mention that the president's popularity is at an all-time low in Democratic-leaning New Jersey.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »

How does "Governor why don't you go fu(k Jim McGreevey up the asshole" sound?

that i could live without
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2005, 09:47:55 PM »

I was waiting for Rudy to start campaigning for Forrester. Smart move.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2005, 10:15:32 PM »

Toon I came across earlier today:

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 08:47:29 AM »

Pretty good NY Times article regarding corruption and the NJ-Gov race:

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2005, 03:06:55 PM »

Posted on Mon, Oct. 17, 2005

Forrester contracts tied to entities that aided his candidacy

A Burlco agency for which he has done work and a man who brokered the contracts are linked to GOP powers.

By Tom Turcol

Inquirer Staff Writer

While running for governor, New Jersey Republican Douglas Forrester has received $3.4 million in business from a Burlington County agency tied to the GOP machine that helped make him the party's gubernatorial candidate.

Moreover, the government contracts awarded to Forrester's company were brokered through the son of a powerful South Jersey Republican, State Sen. William L. Gormley, who also played a key role in Forrester's nomination.

Forrester's company, BeneCard Services Inc., was chosen by the Burlington County Special Services School District to manage its prescription-benefits program in 2004 and again in 2005. Since 2003, Forrester has contributed nearly $60,000 to county Republican coffers.

The school district selected BeneCard even though other companies offered lower costs for each year, and it renewed the contract this summer despite a 37 percent price increase by BeneCard.

Forrester did not respond to a request for comment. A spokesman, Pete McDonough, said that cost was not the only consideration in insurance-related contracts.

Forrester has amassed most of his personal fortune through insurance-related contracts his two companies have with more than 100 municipalities, school systems and other public agencies in New Jersey.

Forrester estimates that his two companies have combined annual revenues of $200 million, and he has already spent more than $20 million of his own money on the campaign.

During the contest, Forrester has said that his companies' government contracts were not influenced by politics but based on price proposals that were lower than its competitors'.

But key political players and connections surround Forrester's lucrative arrangement in Burlington County, and rival health-benefits companies offered lower costs.

The Burlington school contracts were brokered by Sean Gormley, whose father, William Gormley of Atlantic County, is one of New Jersey's most influential Republicans. Sean Gormley receives a 5 percent commission from the transaction, according to district records.

The district's school board is controlled by the Burlington County GOP, whose longtime leader, Glenn Paulsen, is among the small group of Republican powers influential in choosing statewide candidates. That group includes Gormley.

Paulsen and Gormley played key roles in helping Forrester become the party's candidate for governor.

Gormley said he was unaware of his son's role in the Forrester contracts and that it did not affect his political decisions.

"It's my son's business, not mine," Gormley said. Paulsen was unavailable for comment.

A main theme of Forrester's campaign is what he says is opponent Jon S. Corzine's cozy relationship with the Democratic Party's leading regional bosses. But Forrester's business practices have shadowed his campaign, with Corzine accusing him of profiting from government contracts.

In addition, the state is investigating whether Forrester's contributions to his and other Republicans' campaigns violated a state law. The law bars such donations by majority owners of insurance companies and other state-regulated industries doing business in New Jersey.

In an interview in August, Forrester said that about 80 percent of his business is through contracts with the public sector to provide insurance or manage prescription plans for tens of thousands of public employees in the state. The contracts do not require competitive bidding, but the agencies often solicit competing proposals.

Forrester said there was nothing inappropriate in continuing to do business with taxpayer-funded clients while seeking the governorship. He said he would sever his ties with his companies if elected.

The Burlington County Special Services School District is part of a network of public agencies connected to the county Republican Party. Its members are appointed by the county freeholders, a main cog of the Burlington GOP apparatus.

Until he stepped down last year, Paulsen had been the chairman of the county GOP for 15 years. Despite relinquishing the title, Paulsen is still regarded as the dominant GOP figure in the county and a major player in state Republican politics.

According to county records, Forrester's company began negotiations for the school district's contract in April 2004 in a series of correspondence with Sean Gormley, the district's designated "health benefits broker." Gormley is president of Innovative Risk Solutions of Egg Harbor Township.

BeneCard was awarded a one-year contract on July 1, 2004. Its proposal came in at $57,237 more than one submitted by Oxford Health Plans Inc., county records show.

BeneCard's contract, again with Gormley acting as the broker, was renewed July 1 of this year. Three companies submitted lower-price proposals. Garden State Pharmaceutical, for one, came in at $74,397 less than BeneCard; Catalyst's proposal was $66,703 lower, according to those records.

In addition, BeneCard was chosen a second time despite proposing a 37 percent price increase, according to correspondence from a BeneCard director to Sean Gormley.

Sean Gormley did not respond to phone calls seeking comment.

McDonough, Forrester's spokesman, said that while other companies offered lower costs than BeneCard, they may not have offered equivalent services. "That's why these things are not bid," McDonough said. "Each vendor offers something slightly different."

Neither Sean Gormley nor officials at the Burlington County Special Services District would discuss terms of the contracts.

At the time the contracts were negotiated, Forrester was courting both Paulsen and William Gormley in his bid to become the Republican nominee for governor. They were among a small group of key GOP officials who could have blocked - or seriously undermined - Forrester's nomination in June.

Paulsen and Gormley were among those asked to join a movement in late 2004 and early 2005 to draft Republican U.S. Attorney Christopher Christie into the race. Christie's candidacy, GOP officials believe, would have seriously hurt Forrester's chances to win the primary.

Christie, who would have had to resign as U.S. attorney to become a candidate, chose not to run. Christie's allies said that decision was made, in part, because Paulsen, Gormley and one or two others declined to publicly commit to Christie.

Both the Atlantic and Burlington GOP supported Forrester against the six other candidates who entered the GOP primary.

Gormley said Friday he would have backed Christie if he had entered the race. He added, "I told people [in the draft effort] that if he announced I would publicly support him."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »

I love when MAS posts an article but is never here when his candidate is getting beat up on. Your lack of understanding when it comes to politics is astounding, MAS.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2005, 11:07:23 PM »

Tomorrow - 7 PM - WPVI's (our local ABC station) NJ VOTE 2005 debate!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 07:19:13 PM »

Corzine looked better than his usual disasterous performances but he just can't compete with Forrester. Forrester is lively while Corzine always seems like he's off guard. The Libertarian and No Corruption or whatever candidates were two of the biggest jokes I have seen in awhile. Mr. No Corruption party candidate looked at the camera maybe twice all night.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 07:22:20 PM »

Wait, there was another debate today?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 07:24:37 PM »

Yes, on the Philly and NYC ABC stations. Nothing great though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 11:10:15 PM »

Quinnipiac Poll to be released tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies