Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2018, 05:07:13 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Torie)
| | |-+  Why did voter turnout increase in 1984
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why did voter turnout increase in 1984  (Read 260 times)
Old School Republican
Computer89
YaBB God

View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:43:20 pm »

In 1984 it was pretty obvious throughout the campaign Reagan was going to win a huge landslide while in 1980 the polls were very Volatile and in 1980 there was a third party candidate polling above 5% so why was turnout higher in 1984 than in 1980.

Favorite Politicians from the last 50 years:

Economic Score: 3.61
Social: -0.1
twenty42
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:37:03 pm »

1984 was very much a popularity contest for Reagan...there were a lot of people who came out just to vote for him and nobody else. This explains the wide downballot disparity (Democrats actually won the popular vote in both houses despite Reaganís 18-point landslide). My guess is that the overwhelming majority of Reagan-only voters in 1984 probably didnít vote at all in 1980, thus explaining the spike in turnout.
Liberalrocks
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:18:12 pm »

1984 was very much a popularity contest for Reagan...there were a lot of people who came out just to vote for him and nobody else. This explains the wide downballot disparity (Democrats actually won the popular vote in both houses despite Reaganís 18-point landslide). My guess is that the overwhelming majority of Reagan-only voters in 1984 probably didnít vote at all in 1980, thus explaining the spike in turnout.
This could be partially true. Another theory added- although Reagan did win the overall womenís vote, Geraldine Ferraro on the Democratic ticket likely caused somewhat of an uptick in turnout among women overall perhaps adding to higher turnout over 1980.

mencken
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:28:46 am »

The #NeverReagan RINOs from 1980 swallowed their pride and admitted Reagan was a success.

Culturally conservative, economically liberal

I remember why I left this cesspool of a Forum the first time. So long and thanks for all the fish!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout