Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:18:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Does the forum accept anti-evangelical sentiments more than the same sentiments about other religions?
Yes, and this is acceptabe

Yes, and this is unacceptable

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?  (Read 8774 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »

Clearly it does, and that is very disappointing
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:32 PM »

Maybe on the Atlas Forum, but certainly not in real life, where Evangelicals have it easier than everyone with the exception of Mainline Protestants.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »

Maybe on the Atlas Forum, but certainly not in real life, where Evangelicals have it easier than everyone with the exception of Mainline Protestants.

Absolutely this, and really there are far better things one could fight against than the opinions of a fairly irrelevant forum about predicting the results of political elections.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »

Absolutely this, and really there are far better things one could fight against than the opinions of a fairly irrelevant forum about predicting the results of political elections.

Landslide Lyndon said you were a Russian bot. Are you?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:41 PM »

Did he actually? Obviously, I am not.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »

Yes, because it's one of the most backwards religions on Earth.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 08:59:45 PM »

I clearly remembering him mentioning you in such a context. Don’t worry, at the very worst you’re an Ukrainian bot.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 09:04:14 PM »

I clearly remembering him mentioning you in such a context. Don’t worry, at the very worst you’re an Ukrainian bot.

Oh geez, I found it after like two seconds of searching. Someone let Vladimir Putin know I'm waiting on my check.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 09:14:29 PM »

Most Evangelical leaders excel at double standards.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 09:16:36 PM »

No, because much of the critique Evangelicals receive is for political reasons. Evangelicals believe many silly things, but then again, so do all religions. The real problem for Evangelicals is that much of their activities aren't benign religious engagements so much as they are politics dressed up as religion. The moment you politicize something, its detractors will emerge from the woodwork right behind it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »

On Atlas?  Yes, just like there was with criticizing Mormons in 2012 (IIRC, Lief was pretty celebrated for making some incredibly bigoted posts about Mormons after Romney was nominated).  It's one thing to criticize snake oil salesmen like Jerry Falwell Jr. and Joel Osteen or have an actual theological or political debate, it's another to paint all evangelicals with the same brush or crap all over a legitimate religion in obnoxious drive-by insult posts just to be a jerk.  

In the real world?  No, not really.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »

The silly thing is the notion that evangelicals are anything resembling a homogeneous group.

A group that includes both me and Mike Pence and a hell of a lot in between is obviously one where broad brush generalizations are almost always going to be nonsensical.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 09:53:38 PM »

The silly thing is the notion that evangelicals are anything resembling a homogeneous group.

A group that includes both me and Mike Pence and a hell of a lot in between is obviously one where broad brush generalizations are almost always going to be nonsensical.
You're both awful in different ways
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 10:46:45 PM »

They hate us cuz the aint us.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 10:50:41 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2018, 10:53:51 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

No, actually, Evangelicals are exactly the type of group where broad brush strokes are useful. Few groups that command such substantial membership numbers in American society align so heavily in one direction on most major political or social issues.

You're out of the mainstream, and there's nothing wrong with that, but your viewpoints are an outlier compared to your co-religionists.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 11:10:15 PM »

i think all religion is just a control tactic.

religion = totalitarianism in my mind.

i wont stop anyone from believing it but keep religion the hell away from government
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 01:01:06 AM »

LOL no, I dislike evangelical Christians because they claim to care about the Bible (and use the Bible to make my life harder than it has to be because they don't like that I'm attracted to men) but then throw their support behind a blatantly hedonistic, thrice-married, sexual-assaulting serial adulterer instead of the devout Methodist woman, because the Methodist deleted emails, or something.

On the double standard question, it's tricky. I generally dislike sweeping generalizations/stereotypes against entire demographics, though I don't think attacking dominant groups (evangelicals in this case) is as bad as attacking minority groups (e.g. Muslims) because the former is mean words (which is bad) while the latter can result in harmful policy (e.g. travel bans or internment camps, which are more than just mean words).
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 01:05:18 AM »

This.  There's also a big rift within the Southern Baptist Convention - the biggest Evangelical organization in the USA - on Trump and related issues (immigration, racial reconciliation, etc.) with folks like Russell Moore and Albert Mohler on one side vs. Robert Jeffress and Richard Land, among others.  Nuance tends to be lost when discussing these groups.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 07:19:41 AM »
« Edited: April 03, 2018, 07:22:48 AM by X Marks The Spot »

This.  There's also a big rift within the Southern Baptist Convention - the biggest Evangelical organization in the USA - on Trump and related issues (immigration, racial reconciliation, etc.) with folks like Russell Moore and Albert Mohler on one side vs. Robert Jeffress and Richard Land, among others.  Nuance tends to be lost when discussing these groups.

This is strictly anecdotal, but based on the evangelicals I’ve encountered, it also seems like there’s a real generational divide over which issues are most important that gets disguised by the rate at which young evangelicals are leaving.  It’s not like the young ones were pro-choice or anything, but they seemed to usually be pretty liberal on environmental issues (whereas older evangelicals tended to insist coal wasn’t a dying industry), seem to generally be less hypocritical about Trump (and one has said that even if he votes third-party when a pro-choice Democrat runs, he’ll never vote for any Republican who endorsed Trump regardless of the circumstances), care more about social justice/missionary work with the poor than continuing the “culture wars,” etc.  I have met two who voted Trump b/c of the Supreme Court, but I also know one who said of the then-open Supreme Court seat “I’m sure Judas planned to put his thirty silver pieces to good use.”  

The ones I’ve met have (with one exception) been very anti-gun control which is a bit disappointing, but at least they don’t all like the NRA.  I have also not personally met a single evangelical who really likes Falwell Jr., Pat Robertson, or Franklin Graham (I’ve heard multiple folks diplomatically say he’s not half the man his dad was which is true even though I don’t think Billy Graham was a particularly good guy either tbh).  If anything there seemed to be some resentment towards these folks from the younger evangelicals I’ve met who often felt these guys were “Sunday morning Christians” in their hearts who make a mockery of Christianity by making evangelicals look like hypocritical political hacks.  Joel Osteen, understandably, seems to be a pretty widely reviled figure at this point. 

It could just be that I’ve coincidentally met an unusual number of moderate/more independent-minded evangelicals, but from my (obviously limited) experience there do seem to be some real divides in the community.  Another one is over how to handle the fact that many evangelical churches are losing their younger members pretty rapidly.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 08:01:04 AM »

LOL no, I dislike evangelical Christians because they claim to care about the Bible (and use the Bible to make my life harder than it has to be because they don't like that I'm attracted to men) but then throw their support behind a blatantly hedonistic, thrice-married, sexual-assaulting serial adulterer instead of the devout Methodist woman, because the Methodist deleted emails, or something.

Hmmm. I worked for the campaign against banning gay marriage in my state. I didn't vote for Trump, or for that matter any other Republican in my life.

How does that apply to me?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »

No, actually, Evangelicals are exactly the type of group where broad brush strokes are useful. Few groups that command such substantial membership numbers in American society align so heavily in one direction on most major political or social issues.

You're out of the mainstream, and there's nothing wrong with that, but your viewpoints are an outlier compared to your co-religionists.

Really? My church condemns Trump regularly and even did before the election (although then without saying him by name.) I even once heard a guy preaching talking about how he had just traveled through rural North Carolina and was uncomfortable because "most of the people I was dealing with probably voted for Trump." I've never once heard anyone there say anything remotely pro-Trump. My Facebook feed is always full of posts from people there about how Trump is so un-Godly and how someone following Jesus would be nothing like Trump.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 08:14:10 AM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »

Yes, of course. And for a good reason- you'll probably agree that a Jew making jokes about Christians is alright, while a Christian making jokes about big-nosed Jews could be problematic. The Evangelicals, likewise, are a powerful group in America who've never been discriminated by the system or treated unfavourably.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »

Maybe Evangelicals as a whole shouldn't be so hypocritical and actually vehemently against the Christian religion? Anything is fair game when the majority seems to do that. The people who are actually good Christian evangelicals can't complain since they remain silent and do nothing. It's all deserved.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »

Maybe Evangelicals as a whole shouldn't be so hypocritical and actually vehemently against the Christian religion? Anything is fair game when the majority seems to do that. The people who are actually good Christian evangelicals can't complain since they remain silent and do nothing. It's all deserved.
uh that describes me? Wtf?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies