Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:49:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: Does the forum accept anti-evangelical sentiments more than the same sentiments about other religions?
Yes, and this is acceptabe

Yes, and this is unacceptable

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?  (Read 8769 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2019, 08:52:44 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2019, 09:55:48 PM by Julian Assange is a Snowflake »

Attacking religious groups is perfectly fine, not bigoted and not comparable to bashing based on race, gender or sexual orientation. That's because religion is a chosen trait that one decides for themselves, unlike the other traits. Its more comparable to bashing and attacking members of a political party.

Um, no?

Um, yes? One can not change their race or sexual orientation. One can change their religion and political party.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »

Attacking religious groups is perfectly fine, not bigoted and not comparable to bashing based on race, gender or sexual orientation. That's because religion is a chosen trait that one decides for themselves, unlike the other traits. Its more comparable to bashing and attacking members of a political party.

Um, no?

Um, yes? One can change their race or sexual orientation. One can change their religion and political party.

Wow, I didn't realize you were so post-modern. Wink
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »

I would argue criticizing Evangelicals as a social group is acceptable, given their remarkable penchant for bigotry and hypocrisy. Discriminating against them based exclusively  upon religion, however, is neither acceptable (though criticizing many of their wacky religious views is), although very few people actually do discriminate against them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »

Um, no?

Um, yes? One can change their race or sexual orientation. One can change their religion and political party.

Wow, I didn't realize you were so post-modern. Wink

Ugh, what a typo.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2019, 10:29:04 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2019, 06:52:02 PM by Associate Justice PiT »

Um, no?

Um, yes? One can not change their race or sexual orientation. One can change their religion and political party.

Religion correlates heavily with culture and heritage, and is a deeply personal aspect of one's identity that carries connections with spirituality, family, and tradition. You're going to respond by saying it doesn't have anything to do with family and tradition for you. This response is irrelevant, because your experience with and attitude towards religion isn't really typical of most believers throughout human history and cannot be proffered as a template for such.

People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »

Um, no?

Religion correlates heavily with culture and heritage, and is a deeply personal aspect of one's identity that implies a connection with spirituality, family, culture, and tradition. People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please. People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please.

I think BRTD probably doesn't support killing people because of their faith. The problem, rather, is that he probably doesn't see how the relegation of religion to a "vulnerable" trait could lead to just that. Forced conversion has, in the past, been a way of expressing superiority over conquered cultures or some other manner of enforcing conformity with the standards of new rulers. All this aside, one would surely hope that he realizes the extent to which Islamophobia is tied up with race.

That said, he in the past has implied support for state-backed conversion for non-Christian immigrants.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »

Um, no?

Religion correlates heavily with culture and heritage, and is a deeply personal aspect of one's identity that implies a connection with spirituality, family, culture, and tradition. People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please. People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please.

I think BRTD probably doesn't support killing people because of their faith. The problem, rather, is that he probably doesn't see how the relegation of religion to a "vulnerable" trait could lead to just that. Forced conversion has, in the past, been a way of expressing superiority over conquered cultures or some other manner of enforcing conformity with the standards of new rulers. All this aside, one would surely hope that he realizes the extent to which Islamophobia is tied up with race.

That said, he in the past has implied support for state-backed conversion for non-Christian immigrants.

State-backed? No.

And Islamophobia is not a form of racism. Muslims are a VERY diverse in terms of ethnicity religion, and many of those groups have significant non-Muslim members too.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2019, 06:49:16 AM »

Um, no?

State-backed? No.

And Islamophobia is not a form of racism. Muslims are a VERY diverse in terms of ethnicity religion, and many of those groups have significant non-Muslim members too.

Do you think racists are particular about facts?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »

Um, no?

Religion correlates heavily with culture and heritage, and is a deeply personal aspect of one's identity that carries connections with spirituality, family, and tradition. You're going to respond by saying it doesn't have anything to do with family and tradition for you. This response is irrelevant, because your experience with and attitude towards religion isn't really typical of most believers throughout human history and cannot be proffered as a template for such.

People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please. People throughout history have endured great suffering and even martyred themselves for faith. Just because it isn't an immutable factor, doesn't mean it's a random label that everyone simply adopts as they please.

As the West secularizes (or in some Christians like BRTD's case, adopts a hyper-individualistic ecclesiology) it is becoming increasingly ignorant of religion as a sociological phenomenon. To put religion in the same category of "chosen traits" like say, one's taste in music or clothing is risible.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

Um, no?

State-backed? No.

The problem with saying "Islamophobia is not a form of racism" is that the people who are the most likely to be victims of anti-Muslim hate crimes (in North America, at least) are specifically Middle Eastern and South Asian people.

Even people who aren't Muslims (like Sikhs) are often victims of Islamophobic crimes because Islamophobia also involves a lot of racism. This is a tragic example of this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »

I'm sure this woman would be interested to hear all the Islamophobic hate mail she's received is based on race:

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »

Whoosh
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2019, 11:30:47 PM »

Um, no?

So unless someone makes that conscious effort to change their religion to one you don't disapprove of, it's okay to disparage their faith. Got it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2019, 11:40:58 AM by Julian Assange is a Snowflake »

Um, no?

So unless someone makes that conscious effort to change their religion to one you don't disapprove of, it's okay to disparage their faith. Got it.

Um, yeah?

I would NEVER belong to a religious group that marginalizes women and gays and lesbians. Absolute litmus test. It doesn't matter about whatever my heritage and background is, I value my politics FAR more. All liberal all the time after all.

There's no way I could POSSIBLY ever imagine myself being like this:

"Hey I see you're drinking a Coke."
"Yeah, that's what this is."
"I'm not really a fan of Coke. You should try this Pepsi."
"I have actually. I much prefer Pepsi."
"Oh, then why aren't you drinking it instead?"
"Well I grew up drinking Coke and most of my family drinks Coke. And most people with a similar ethnic background makeup as me drink Coke. So even though I despise the aftertaste of it, it wouldn't be right for me to drink anything but Coke."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »

Um, no?

By that standard, since some peoples' sexual orientation change, just like some peoples' religious convictions change, gay bashing is completely okay, too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »

I mean, I can't make rules about what is or isn't okay to "criticize."  However, attacking someone's religion is pretty unquestionably low-brow.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »

On Atlas, sure, but that's because Atlas is left-leaning, and Evangelicals are (as a whole) strongly Republican-leaning. Surprisingly, there's also a decent amount of malice towards atheists here, not sure why.

In America as a whole, definitely not. While you could certainly find people who attack Christians in America, there's much more anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, and anti-secular sentiment here.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »

Um, no?

By that standard, since some peoples' sexual orientation change, just like some peoples' religious convictions change, gay bashing is completely okay, too.

I'm not on the religion-bashing train here, but sexual orientation is a lot more complicated than religious convictions.  They're not comparable.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »

Also I will note that there is a difference, I think, between bashing religions and bashing religious beliefs.  I don't mock Evangelicals because they are a large and diverse group of people, but I do mock people who believe that the world is 6000 years old.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2019, 02:27:08 PM »

On Atlas, sure, but that's because Atlas is left-leaning, and Evangelicals are (as a whole) strongly Republican-leaning. Surprisingly, there's also a decent amount of malice towards atheists here, not sure why.

In America as a whole, definitely not. While you could certainly find people who attack Christians in America, there's much more anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim, and anti-secular sentiment here.

Hate to generalize, but there really are two kinds of atheists.  Only one type gets ridiculed here, and for good reason.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »

Indeed. This type of atheist gets mocked all the time, including by people who aren't religious:
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »

Um, no?

I'm not on the religion-bashing train here, but sexual orientation is a lot more complicated than religious convictions.  They're not comparable.

Both involve performative roles based on the cultures we're brought up in.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »

Um, no?

Yes, but only one has biological factors involved (though it is still not well understood).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »

Um, no?

Yes, but only one has biological factors involved (though it is still not well understood).

There are also biological determinants involved in political and aesthetic persuasions.

I kid. Idiotic postmodern social science is a hilarious and sort of screwed up my early twenties.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »

I bash whoever I want for whatever reason.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies