Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:09:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the forum accept anti-evangelical sentiments more than the same sentiments about other religions?
Yes, and this is acceptabe

Yes, and this is unacceptable

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Is there a double standard between criticizing Evangelicals and other religions?  (Read 8761 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« on: January 07, 2019, 12:03:10 AM »

There seems to be a pretty consistent yet moderate anti-"religion" bias/skepticism in general here and in real life.

Just speculation, but I don't think most atheists or agnostics think that evangelicalism is, like, the far-and-away worst tradition out there. I get the feeling it sounds that way sometimes because the most vocal evangelical groups and figureheads in the United States (not to mention, like, college campus protesters) are really, really obnoxious and more-than-occasionally criminal frauds. Evangelicalism here is unpopular, but more than anything it's just a conveniently placed easy target that most young people on Atlas agree on. Big tent fervor kinda thing, if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong.

I'll admit that anti-evangelical bias exists here, and whether it's a function of humor or genuine intolerance, it's a generalization. It's intellectually dishonest, and it can be kind of mean-spirited at worst. Thankfully, we're generally adults here and it doesn't often go too far.

At the same time, I don't think it's a severe problem. I'm really not concerned about anti-evangelical bias here because this is a forum about politics and evangelicalism is used in America as a political weapon. Evangelicalism is often relevant, and the fact that a majority of people on this forum have a negative opinion of it does not in and of itself constitute discrimination or selective enforcement or whatever. This is especially true given that evangelicalism is not just any political weapon, but a weapon effectively turned on the LGBT community, people of color, the poor, women, members of other traditions, and refugees.

It would be irresponsible to say that all evangelicals endorse all or any of those things, but it is a fact that the organized evangelical institution has largely been mobilized against the rights and welfare of marginalized groups since Carter left office. Given that, I think we all have the right to be a little skeptical of evangelicalism. I don't think being outright mean is okay, but I also haven't seen a whole lot of that here.

It's the same thing as conservatives complaining about being oppressed on college campuses or whatever. Sure, that bias is there, but there's no institutional conspiracy against evangelicals. People just disagree.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies