Lord of the Rings or Star Wars... the objectively better setting & story?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:08:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Lord of the Rings or Star Wars... the objectively better setting & story?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which has an objectively better-written universe & story, NOT necessarily your personal preference?
Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit / The Silmarillion / anything else Tolkien (books, movies)

Star Wars (movies and EU)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings or Star Wars... the objectively better setting & story?  (Read 2478 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
« edited: April 03, 2018, 11:32:26 PM by Blue3 »

Lord of the Rings or Star Wars... the objectively better setting/universe & story

...NOT necessarily your personal favorite?

The final round, the best of fantasy and science-fiction (if you disagree, you should have voted in earlier rounds!)
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=286444.0

Note: just deleted a double I made by mistake
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »

I truly love Star Wars, but Tolkien blows Lucas out of the water with story telling and world building.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:50:31 AM »

Lord of the Rings
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »

Star Wars with the old EU really blows out anything Tolkien has done with world building placing it all together.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »

I truly love Star Wars, but Tolkien blows Lucas out of the water with story telling and world building.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:33 AM »

Star Wars has better story, but you can't top Middle Earth for setting.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »

Star Wars with the old EU really blows out anything Tolkien has done with world building placing it all together.
Why do you think so? I'm a big fan of both, but even the Old EU never matched the depth of Tolkien's works, and that's with dozens of authors.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 02:55:15 PM »

Without a single doubt, Tolkein. Star Wars is nice, but please, Tolkein's work is a masterpiece of creation and storytelling.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »

Star Wars

If it was just the movies vs the books, yeah, Tolkien easily defeats Lucas.

But what the EU is, all the possibilities of Star Wars, and all the things shown rather than told...has to go to Star Wars.

Not to mention the Prequels and even Sequels were simply better than The Hobbit Trilogy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:23:15 PM »

It's upsetting that this is even a thread, let alone that people in it are expressing Incorrect and Wrong opinions. The Lord of the Rings is a legitimately great and important novel not just because of the extraordinary imagination required to create it, but in other ways as well: it's narrative structure is fiendish in its complexity and satisfying in its resolution, its descriptive passages are extremely strong  and its central characters are beautifully and realistically rendered. The book engages with a wide range of philosophical (esp. philosophy of language!), historical and theological themes, and also with the author's own personal history on the Western Front. Additionally, the sense of landscape and of place that Tolkien was able to create can't be praised enough; I'll go so far as to compare his abilities in this regard to those of Lawrence. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, of course, but then no novel ever can be. Star Wars is candyfloss: enjoyable enough but not very substantial (and neither is it supposed to be). Comparing the two is a great example of the worst sort of cultural relativism.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 04:40:42 PM »

Easily LOTR
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 03:33:11 PM »

I can certainly see why somebody wouldn't enjoy LOTR's narrative: I'm not hugely into high fantasy myself, and I remember when I first tried to slog my way through them as a teen I thought it was pompous, self-indulgent nonsense (I have changed my opinion since then, but I still refuse to believe Tom Bombadil represents anything but a huge slap in the face to the reader). That said, your question talks about setting and it's hard to even say the comparison even holds up upon scrutiny. The Star Wars Universe exists to serve the Narrative (and although I have never read the EU, I don't really think the Universe is any more complicated than any other long running soft sci-fi franchise like Star Trek or Doctor Who). Middle Earth is ... another matter entirely. I won't pretend to have read the millions of appendixes and densely packed mythos but they are clearly the work of an obsessive intellectual crafting his own  finely tuned world. Star Wars never rose to such a level, and when it tried to craft a narrative deeper than Good Vs Bad (with all the political intrigue in the prequels) it kind of managed to be both tedious and fairly stupid.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »

It's upsetting that this is even a thread, let alone that people in it are expressing Incorrect and Wrong opinions. The Lord of the Rings is a legitimately great and important novel not just because of the extraordinary imagination required to create it, but in other ways as well: it's narrative structure is fiendish in its complexity and satisfying in its resolution, its descriptive passages are extremely strong  and its central characters are beautifully and realistically rendered. The book engages with a wide range of philosophical (esp. philosophy of language!), historical and theological themes, and also with the author's own personal history on the Western Front. Additionally, the sense of landscape and of place that Tolkien was able to create can't be praised enough; I'll go so far as to compare his abilities in this regard to those of Lawrence. It isn't everyone's cup of tea, of course, but then no novel ever can be. Star Wars is candyfloss: enjoyable enough but not very substantial (and neither is it supposed to be). Comparing the two is a great example of the worst sort of cultural relativism.

It's only candyfloss if we limit Star Wars to the source material narrative. If you include the EU, the range of themes becomes boundless. KOTOR II alone is a masterclass in themes of Nihlism married with Eastern theological and philosophical traditions. And that's just one video game.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »

It's only candyfloss if we limit Star Wars to the source material narrative. If you include the EU, the range of themes becomes boundless. KOTOR II alone is a masterclass in themes of Nihlism married with Eastern theological and philosophical traditions. And that's just one video game.
I love Star Wars, but are you sure you aren't letting nostalgia color your perception of old stories? There's good ideas and themes, and there's good execution of those ideas. Does Star Wars really have the better-quality narrative?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 03:34:44 PM »

Amen
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »

I love Star Wars, but are you sure you aren't letting nostalgia color your perception of old stories? There's good ideas and themes, and there's good execution of those ideas. Does Star Wars really have the better-quality narrative?

I'm not arguing that Star Wars is of more merit but rather contesting the assertion that pop culture-focused media in general has to be candyfloss compared to the great works of art(tm).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 02:04:57 PM »

I'm not arguing that Star Wars is of more merit but rather contesting the assertion that pop culture-focused media in general has to be candyfloss compared to the great works of art(tm).

It's also kinda funny how this argument is being thrown with LoTR as being "above candyfloss" when it was criticized precisely for being exactly that when it came out...and then it had a crazy boom in the '70's 'round Tolkien's death...as a counterculture element.

The journey from hated to pop-culture to elitist is truly a remarkable one.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:42 PM »

I have changed my opinion since then, but I still refuse to believe Tom Bombadil represents anything but a huge slap in the face to the reader
why do you hate fun?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 05:12:33 PM »

Have you ever read the old EU from Star Wars
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »

al doesn't read goonfic
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »

Lord of the Rings by a country mile.

The guy was a genius to come up with that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »

It's also kinda funny how this argument is being thrown with LoTR as being "above candyfloss" when it was criticized precisely for being exactly that when it came out...and then it had a crazy boom in the '70's 'round Tolkien's death...as a counterculture element.

The journey from hated to pop-culture to elitist is truly a remarkable one.

When LotR was first published its principle cheerleader was none other than W.H. Auden. The main reason why the book annoyed (and annoys) a certain type of literary snob was (is) because its literary merit is so immediately obvious, which is rather inconvenient if you have a hang up about 'genre fiction' and its supposed lack of worth. Try again.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »

I have obsessively read it, I love a lot of it, but it pales to Tolkien.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies