Challenging the False Reality of "Centrism" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:42:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Challenging the False Reality of "Centrism" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Challenging the False Reality of "Centrism"  (Read 8523 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« on: September 21, 2005, 03:00:31 PM »

This is a great article from The Nation:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050103/sirota

It talks about the great misconceptions relating to centrism. It challenges the common DLC logic that economic populism is a losing equation.

Thoughts on this article?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 12:41:46 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2005, 12:47:28 PM by Scoonie »

Did anyone even read the article? Or are we just going to throw labels around? Let's hear some specifics. We don't need another "moderates need to be embraced if the Democrats are going to win" thread. What really is centrism anyway?

The article mainly deals with the corporate culture of "centrism". Any thoughts? 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:42:57 PM »

Has it occurred to this author that centrism carries many more guises than just the DLC-brand? 

I consider myself more or less centrist, but more in the populist sense, with moderate-to-conservative (or rather states' rights) views with regard to such hot-button issues like abortion, with strong support for a hawkish and internationalist foreign policy and full support for our military, while retaining moderate-to-liberal economic positions.

The most important issue for me (the one I'm least willing to compromise on) is economic populism. I will support any Democrat that votes for the working people and not the corporations.

So, yes, you do fit in. Did you read the article?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:59:28 AM »

This thread became exactly what I didn't want it to be. The old "moderates" vs. "liberals" debate.

This is the key passage from the article: "Is this really true? Is a corporate agenda really "centrism"? Or is it only "centrist" among Washington's media elite, influence peddlers and out-of-touch political class?"

Thoughts on that passage?

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 10:33:14 AM »

"Pro-business" usually means anti-worker. It's just a nice little catch phrase to sugarcoat it.

Anyway, I agree with the article. Referring to anti-worker policies and positions as "centrist" is extremely misleading at best. The majority want pro-worker policies that will give them a higher quality of life and make everyday living more affordable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies