Any thought from Texans re: Cruz vs Beto?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:56:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Any thought from Texans re: Cruz vs Beto?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any thought from Texans re: Cruz vs Beto?  (Read 1873 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »

ie- Does Beto seem to be gaining unusually high support for a Dem? .... Is Cruz stronger (or weaker) than many outside of Texas perceive?  ... or any other general thoughts of the mindset of texas voters heading into November?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:03:54 PM »

Likely GOP
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »

1. To some extent. There is no yes or no answer here, but if I must, I would say probably, especially comparatively to previous dunce sacrificial lambs here in the past, so yes.

2. Slightly stronger. Don't get me wrong, he is weaker than ever, and will underperform his previous races, but many outsiders make this look like prime #resistance territory, it is not.

3. Expect Cruz to win by anywhere from mid single digits to low double digits, barring a video of him committing statutory rape, or having relations with a Stormy Daniels (non zero chances).
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:07:07 PM »

Safe R
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »

Unless Cruz completely collapses in the exurbs of Houston and Dallas, he still has this. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:38:25 AM »

Cruz has quite low favourability ratings if I recall correctly; he's clearly not as popular as Abbott but equally he's not going to run an awful campaign. His 2016 campaign was one of the only to actually have some degree of competence (outside his idiotic strategy to wait too long to attack Trump) and he can raise money/get conservative voters to turnout.

Generally for Democrats to win in Texas they need both a very good campaign themselves, and an weak campaign from their opponent.
Red Tory Indy
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:42:59 AM »

1. In a year with not a lot of great pickup opportunities for Democrats your naturally going to see Dems focus more energy on long shot pickup opportunities then they normally would. Hence the unusually great Dem fundraising
2.Ted Cruz is fairly conservative even somewhat for Texas which makes him more vulnerable then your typical Republican.
3. Democrats have a fair amount of untapped potential in Texas if they can get significantly better turnout with Hispanic and Millennial voters who have significantly lower turnout then older Anglo voters. Also with Trumps unpopularity and strong dem enthusiasm  their is a better chance of point number three happening.

Democrats still have a very uphill climb even in a dem wave year though and I would expect Cruz to win by 8–10 points in 2018.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:48:12 AM »

Generally for Democrats to win in Texas they need both a very good campaign themselves, and an weak campaign from their opponent.

Generally for Democrats to win in Texas the year has to be 1994 or earlier.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »

Democrats will continue their 130 election losestreak in Texas as Cruz wins by 25. Texas is full of conservative patriots who reject socalism and love our president.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »

The race is Likely R for now. It would probably take a D tsunami and an impeccable campaign by O'Rourke to bring down Cruz.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »

Beto gave a speech at the texas democratic partys convention looks like his main target of the campaign will be Tarrant County
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/06/22/beto-orourke-vows-show-up-for-all-texans-thrills-delegates-texas-democratic-party-convention
really solid piece
DFL

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »

Beto gave a speech at the texas democratic partys convention looks like his main target of the campaign will be Tarrant County
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/06/22/beto-orourke-vows-show-up-for-all-texans-thrills-delegates-texas-democratic-party-convention
really solid piece

He's also been doing more outreach to the black community of Dallas as well. Looks like now that his 254 county campaign is done that he's focusing back on the Dem base
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »

really solid piece

He's also been doing more outreach to the black community of Dallas as well. Looks like now that his 254 county campaign is done that he's focusing back on the Dem base

First: wew you aren't dead

Second: I think that O'Rourke has a good shot. I remember one guy going in depth into a poll that showed the race getting CLOSER after those polled were told about the positions of each candidate on gun control, from Cruz+7 I think to Cruz+1. I'll find the video soon.

(btw the tabs on that poll said that those polled voted Trump+8 which is just about what happened)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 09:16:33 PM »

I really think it'll just come down to the national environment in the end, and that's what's annoying since that can be somewhat hard to predict.

For example, key 2014 Senate races were expected to be much closer than they were. Will we see the reverse? Will the wave be equalized by unexpected Republican turnout?

Now, I doubt Cruz will lose, but I could see him winning from anything from +10 to +2 (maybe even +1) based on the national environment.
Galaxie

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »

I really think it'll just come down to the national environment in the end, and that's what's annoying since that can be somewhat hard to predict.

For example, key 2014 Senate races were expected to be much closer than they were. Will we see the reverse? Will the wave be equalized by unexpected Republican turnout?

Now, I doubt Cruz will lose, but I could see him winning from anything from +10 to +2 (maybe even +1) based on the national environment.

Same in thinking Cruz will win, but I think it'll be more of a turnout game than not. GOP still has more people turning out than Dems even in the primaries -- and Dems had WAY more going on then. The Beto campaign is going to have to pull off some sort of turnout miracle in the persuadable suburbs and with the Latino community to get close to Cruz
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »

I think O'Rourke has potential to make this close, and if any Democrat could beat Cruz it is him, however I am just not convinced that Beto can flip the Dallas/Houston suburbs. Of course things can change but I think at best he has a 47% ceiling.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »

Not from Texas of course, but I think Cruz wins by around 8 (likely 54-45 with 1% or so for third parties.) I could see him winning by only 5/6 if the national environment improves in O'Rourke's favor, or Cruz wins by 10/11 if the opposite happens and O'Rourke doesn't run an overly effective campaign. Likely R.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »

My sister just saw a truck with both a come and take it and beto sticker on it just a few minutes ago. This is not a normal race.
Galaxie

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »

My sister just saw a truck with both a come and take it and beto sticker on it just a few minutes ago. This is not a normal race.

The underrated but important "Come and Take It" voting bloc could be more competitive than once thought. hmmmmm
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »

The underrated but important "Come and Take It" voting bloc could be more competitive than once thought. hmmmmm

Lol, maybe an anomaly, but it sure is interesting. We got a Allred and Beto sign in our yard.
Galaxie

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2018, 08:41:18 PM »

Lol, maybe an anomaly, but it sure is interesting. We got a Allred and Beto sign in our yard.

I've still got an Andrew White sign, sitting sad and alone inside my house
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 11:48:43 PM »

I've still got an Andrew White sign, sitting sad and alone inside my house

Lol, I am from Dallas, so my family supported Valdez, we did not get a sign though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies