Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:52:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans  (Read 4901 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »

Obviously this is a bad thing, and I've always stood against hatred directed towards followers of any religion.

However, I've never understood why Democrats and other social liberals hate Evangelicals but love Muslims.  I say we respect thought criminals across the board!

Is it hate to mention that they a bunch of hard-right hypocrites who have poisoned American political discourse?
Was Barry Goldwater a hater when he warned about their increasing influence inside the Republican party?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »

This is old news.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »

Obviously this is a bad thing, and I've always stood against hatred directed towards followers of any religion.

However, I've never understood why Democrats and other social liberals hate Evangelicals but love Muslims.  I say we respect thought criminals across the board!

Is it hate to mention that they a bunch of hard-right hypocrites who have poisoned American political discourse?

Was Barry Goldwater a hater when he warned about their increasing influence inside the Republican party?

Liberals generally view Evangelicals as worse than Trump and I think think that they won't impeach him even if it's for the best of the country because they're more scared of Pence.

Anyway, Muslims (on average) are hardcore social conservatives, too.  They just don't have any political influence.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »

Welcome to 2003, everybody.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »

This was common knowledge long before Trump.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »

Liberals generally view Evangelicals as worse than Trump and I think think that they won't impeach him even if it's for the best of the country because they're more scared of Pence.

Anyway, Muslims (on average) are hardcore social conservatives, too.  They just don't have any political influence.

Liberals don't love Muslims. They just don't like them being scapegoated by Republicans, like they don't like seeing any minority group suffering the same treatment.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »

52% of American Muslims say homosexuality should be accepted by society, versus only 34% of white evangelicals:

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/07/26/political-and-social-views/
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »

Liberals don't love Muslims. They just don't like them being scapegoated by Republicans, like they don't like seeing any minority group suffering the same treatment.

Bingo, you can not want a group persecuted just for their religion, but not like some of the extreme religious beliefs some of said group have. Just like how most liberals don't hate Christians, just all the fake evangelicals who worship the hate of satan.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 03:20:34 PM »

It is a common belief among liberals that people who think same-sex sexual activity is immoral are the equivalent of racists, is it not?  And based on that reasoning both the Bible and the Quran are hate books.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »

52% of American Muslims say homosexuality should be accepted by society, versus only 34% of white evangelicals:

Here is Representative Carpetbagger/CELTICEMPIRE ....

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2018, 03:25:14 PM »

It is a common belief among liberals that people who think same-sex sexual activity is immoral are the equivalent of racists, is it not?  And based on that reasoning both the Bible and the Quran are hate books.

There's a difference between believing it and feeling God will judge someone in the end and actually wanting to destroy people's lives and have dominion over their actions that have no bearing on someone else.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2018, 04:05:37 PM »

Here is Representative Carpetbagger/CELTICEMPIRE ....

That's interesting.  However, that was comparing all American Muslims to the more conservative Christians.  And "accepted" could mean different things to different people.  Muslims do, in general, take their religion much more seriously than American Christians.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In 2018 that is not happening.  Christians just want to be left alone.  But, for some reason, some people can't accept that Christian bakers or florists don't want to make a product celebrating a same-sex wedding.  But I think I've started a rabbit trail here.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »

You know what's crazy? Muslims voted more Republican in 2000 than any other religious group. Over 70% of them backed W that year. I bet they've voted 70+% Dem in every election since them, and with the way members of my party treat them, I honestly can't blame them.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »

You know what's crazy? Muslims voted more Republican in 2000 than any other religious group. Over 70% of them backed W that year. I bet they've voted 70+% Dem in every election since them, and with the way members of my party treat them, I honestly can't blame them.

It's stupid people, many of them Evangelical Christians who want their Christian God enshrined in the laws of our secular nation, but say that Muslims are trying to promote Sharia Law.

It reminds me of how stupid people say that "Jews" promoted the Iraq War, when a higher percentage of Muslims were in favor of the Iraq War than Jews.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »

For the record, I think that America is better because of my Persian ex-girlfriend's family. I mean, they're well educated, make good money, have a nice house, pay taxes, and don't force their views on anyone else.

They're a much better representation for our country than some unemployed old white guy living in a trailer complaining about his job getting automated and blaming everyone but himself for his failures in life.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »

What was the point of this thread?

A low quality "HA HA GOTCHA" job in order to trigger page after page of tedious low quality bitching and bickering by all the usual suspects?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2018, 09:41:18 PM »

What was the point of this thread?

A low quality "HA HA GOTCHA" job in order to trigger page after page of tedious low quality bitching and bickering by all the usual suspects?

Might as well ask what is the point of this board.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2018, 09:59:03 PM »

Bingo, you can not want a group persecuted just for their religion, but not like some of the extreme religious beliefs some of said group have. Just like how most liberals don't hate Christians, just all the fake evangelicals who worship the hate of satan.

lol

"We don't hate the real Jews just the fake ones who worship the devil"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 06:43:48 AM »

In 2018 that is not happening.  Christians just want to be left alone.  But, for some reason, some people can't accept that Christian bakers or florists don't want to make a product celebrating a same-sex wedding.  But I think I've started a rabbit trail here.

Uh no. The vast majority of Christian florists and bakers have no problem making a cake or whatever for gays.

If "no cakes for gays" was some kind of fundamental doctrine that millions of Americas honestly did believe, we might have to come up with some kind of accommodation or solution, but in reality, every single of of these gay cake deniers is an insincere charlatan who's parlayed their "faith" into becoming a millionaire thanks to donations.

Hell, if I owned a failing bakery, I'd be pretty tempted to turn away a gay couple too and become set for life.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 07:45:00 AM »

lol

"We don't hate the real Jews just the fake ones who worship the devil"

E for effort.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2018, 11:53:31 PM »

Uh no. The vast majority of Christian florists and bakers have no problem making a cake or whatever for gays.

If "no cakes for gays" was some kind of fundamental doctrine that millions of Americas honestly did believe, we might have to come up with some kind of accommodation or solution, but in reality, every single of of these gay cake deniers is an insincere charlatan who's parlayed their "faith" into becoming a millionaire thanks to donations.

Hell, if I owned a failing bakery, I'd be pretty tempted to turn away a gay couple too and become set for life.

And all this time the gay rights activists suing them, the governments fining them exorbitantly, and the people sending them death threats, were all just playing into their hands in their bid to get sympathy and $$ to cover their court costs and rent and basic living expenses as they are cut off from their regular source of income.  Sneaky bastards.   

What is this "accommodation or solution" you'd be willing to let them have if they agree not to try to make you forcibly shut them down?  They only have to bake half a cake?  Only on Tuesdays?
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »

And all this time the gay rights activists suing them, the governments fining them exorbitantly, and the people sending them death threats, were all just playing into their hands in their bid to get sympathy and $$ to cover their court costs and rent and basic living expenses as they are cut off from their regular source of income.  Sneaky bastards.   

What is this "accommodation or solution" you'd be willing to let them have if they agree not to try to make you forcibly shut them down?  They only have to bake half a cake?  Only on Tuesdays?

Exactly.  Well said.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:27 AM »

Are you seriously arguing that their lost income from baking is larger than the millions they're raking in from gullible evangelical donors? How much do you think bakers make?

Every single one of those charlatans made a smart financial decision.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2018, 07:18:21 PM »

It has been since 9/11. Donald Trump is broadly representative of the 21st century Republican Party.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2018, 09:29:46 PM »

Are you seriously arguing that their lost income from baking is larger than the millions they're raking in from gullible evangelical donors? How much do you think bakers make?

Every single one of those charlatans made a smart financial decision.

I'm curious where you are getting your figures from. Seems to me having to close a successful small business is a major financial loss in addition to the penalties.  Even if they did eventually make out on top financially, what does that prove?  I'm not sure what is "gullible" about people wanting to show support for someone who is being treated unfairly.    How do you feel about the Oregon court awarding the couple $135 k in emotional damages resulting from not having their choice of cake?  Is that an example of the type of graft you are accusing people of?  Seems a lot less expensive to get money that way than risking losing your business.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies