Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:18:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans  (Read 4865 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahallam/trump-republicans-bashing-muslims-without-repercussions?utm_term=.vxRrE70yG#.gyXr7e3A5

A state lawmaker in Oklahoma refused to meet with Muslim constituents unless they replied to a questionnaire asking if they beat their wives. A Nebraska state senator suggested that any Muslim wanting to enter the United States be forced to eat pork first. And a Rhode Island legislator advocated herding Syrian refugees into a camp, writing in an email that Muslims seek “to murder, rape, and decapitate anyone who is a non-Muslim.”

Those are among dozens of examples of state and local Republican politicians and officials publicly attacking Islam in 49 states since 2015, typically with impunity, according to a BuzzFeed News analysis. Some elected officials shared hate-filled social media posts urging violence against Muslims, while others used subtler, loaded language to smear Islam as they opposed mosque-building projects or wrote bills aimed at what they portrayed as the threat of Sharia.

In Alabama, at least four senior officials disparaged Islam or Muslims in recent years: the governor, a member of Congress, a state legislator, and a police chief. All are Republicans.

State Rep. Mack Butler last year asked on social media, “Have you noticed that we keep hearing how Islam is a religion of peace as they blow people up?” Alabama lawmaker Mo Brooks said in 2016 that Muslims want “to kill every homosexual in the United States.” The same year, Gurley Police Chief Barry Pendergraft posted a video of himself with ammunition under the caption, “100 more bacon grease covered bullets in the box! This relaxes me so!!!”
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 10:43:53 AM »

As if this is surprising. Trump literally called for a Muslim ban on the campaign trail and Republicans cheered for the most part.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm surprised he didn't follow up with a cheer.
Joey1996

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »

Islamophobia has been main stream in this country since 9/11
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »

Anti-Muslim bigotry = economic anxiety!
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2018, 01:16:34 PM by hofoid »

There is a concern that certain devout portions of their population might push back progress on women's rights and gay rights. I, myself, would not want to see women being shackled into their homes and being forced to wear restrictive clothing. I wouldn't want to see gay marriage and protections be rolled back. I want to be able to walk into Subway and get a ham sandwich (something increasingly difficult in places like the UK). I don't want our cities to turn into the no-go zones of Stockholm or Bradford, or Copenhagen.

...and I wouldn't want Christians pulling that crap either.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »

There is a concern that certain devout portions of their population might push back progress on women's rights and gay rights. I, myself, would not want to see women being shackled into their homes and being forced to wear restrictive clothing. I wouldn't want to see gay marriage and protections be rolled back. I want to be able to walk into Subway and get a ham sandwich (something increasingly difficult in places like the UK). I don't want our cities to turn into the no-go zones of Stockholm or Bradford, or Copenhagen.

The only usefulness in having someone like you around is that we can hear wacko theories that we otherwise would never hear about.  Can't get a ham sandwich in the UK because of Muslims?
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »

The only usefulness in having someone like you around is that we can hear wacko theories that we otherwise would never hear about.  Can't get a ham sandwich in the UK because of Muslims?

I came bearing facts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »

I came bearing facts...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

Sounds like they made a business decision to make a higher profit...
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 01:44:58 PM »

I came bearing facts...

Sounds like there will be further "business decisions" that will curtail women's rights and gay rights coming really soon if society keeps going down this road...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »

The only usefulness in having someone like you around is that we can hear wacko theories that we otherwise would never hear about.  Can't get a ham sandwich in the UK because of Muslims?

I came bearing facts...

Sounds like there will be further "business decisions" that will curtail women's rights and gay rights coming really soon if society keeps going down this road...

lol "if we stop selling ham sandwiches in areas with high muslim concentration we'll give up equal rights".
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »

I came bearing facts...

Well, I would have never guessed that there were 1500 Subways in Britain to begin with.  Somehow I think you can find ham sandwiches in Britain quite easily, now a ham schwarma? that might be hard to find.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »

It amazes me that so-called liberals celebrate the crumbling of Secular Modern Western Progress. After all the effort to eradicate religion from the public sphere, here it is creeping back. Give them an inch, a mile is taken.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:15 PM »

Please tell me where there are "no-go" zones in Copenhagen?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »

It amazes me that so-called liberals celebrate the crumbling of Secular Modern Western Progress. After all the effort to eradicate religion from the public sphere, here it is creeping back. Give them an inch, a mile is taken.

It amazes me how much people that are racist refuse to admit it and smother themselves in the flag and liberty.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 02:00:34 PM »

It amazes me how much people that are racist refuse to admit it and smother themselves in the flag and liberty.
Wanting to protect women and gays =Racist. Good to know.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »

Please tell me where there are "no-go" zones in Copenhagen?

https://clarionproject.org/danish-pm-warns-no-go-zones/

Don't be blind to threats in your own backyard.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »

Why would a restaurant in a predominately Muslim area bother to keep pork in stock? That's a waste of money when all or most of it will spoil before being sold.

I doubt restaurants in Kiryas Joel, New York, have ham sandwiches on the menu either.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »

... I want to be able to walk into Subway and get a ham sandwich (something increasingly difficult in places like the UK).

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »

Why not the outcry against extremist evangelical Christians and Mormons who have the same beliefs who want to suppress women? Why only muslims? Because you're racist, just admit it kid.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »

Why would a restaurant in a predominately Muslim area bother to keep pork in stock? That's a waste of money when all or most of it will spoil before being sold.
I doubt restaurants in Kiryas Joel, New York, have ham sandwiches on the menu either.

Exactly.
It's just a business decision based on the demographics of the people they serve in their community. Period.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »

Why not the outcry against extremist evangelical Christians and Mormons who have the same beliefs who want to suppress women? Why only muslims? Because you're racist, just admit it kid.

Totally ignoring the fact I said earlier in this thread that I don't like it that Christians do it either, but continue  the straw man arguments.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 02:07:30 PM »

Exactly.
It's just a business decision based on the demographics of the people they serve in their community. Period.
Just like business decisions not to bake cakes for gay couples or business decisions to have separate drinking fountains, right?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »

Actually, Subway did try some kosher stores in the US, however, there are only two left.  Apparently the couldn't compete with local delis.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies