Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:10:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-Muslim bigotry is mainstream among Republicans  (Read 4898 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: April 10, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahallam/trump-republicans-bashing-muslims-without-repercussions?utm_term=.vxRrE70yG#.gyXr7e3A5

A state lawmaker in Oklahoma refused to meet with Muslim constituents unless they replied to a questionnaire asking if they beat their wives. A Nebraska state senator suggested that any Muslim wanting to enter the United States be forced to eat pork first. And a Rhode Island legislator advocated herding Syrian refugees into a camp, writing in an email that Muslims seek “to murder, rape, and decapitate anyone who is a non-Muslim.”

Those are among dozens of examples of state and local Republican politicians and officials publicly attacking Islam in 49 states since 2015, typically with impunity, according to a BuzzFeed News analysis. Some elected officials shared hate-filled social media posts urging violence against Muslims, while others used subtler, loaded language to smear Islam as they opposed mosque-building projects or wrote bills aimed at what they portrayed as the threat of Sharia.

In Alabama, at least four senior officials disparaged Islam or Muslims in recent years: the governor, a member of Congress, a state legislator, and a police chief. All are Republicans.

State Rep. Mack Butler last year asked on social media, “Have you noticed that we keep hearing how Islam is a religion of peace as they blow people up?” Alabama lawmaker Mo Brooks said in 2016 that Muslims want “to kill every homosexual in the United States.” The same year, Gurley Police Chief Barry Pendergraft posted a video of himself with ammunition under the caption, “100 more bacon grease covered bullets in the box! This relaxes me so!!!”
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »

Obviously this is a bad thing, and I've always stood against hatred directed towards followers of any religion.

However, I've never understood why Democrats and other social liberals hate Evangelicals but love Muslims.  I say we respect thought criminals across the board!

Is it hate to mention that they a bunch of hard-right hypocrites who have poisoned American political discourse?
Was Barry Goldwater a hater when he warned about their increasing influence inside the Republican party?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »

Obviously this is a bad thing, and I've always stood against hatred directed towards followers of any religion.

However, I've never understood why Democrats and other social liberals hate Evangelicals but love Muslims.  I say we respect thought criminals across the board!

Is it hate to mention that they a bunch of hard-right hypocrites who have poisoned American political discourse?

Was Barry Goldwater a hater when he warned about their increasing influence inside the Republican party?

Liberals generally view Evangelicals as worse than Trump and I think think that they won't impeach him even if it's for the best of the country because they're more scared of Pence.

Anyway, Muslims (on average) are hardcore social conservatives, too.  They just don't have any political influence.

Liberals don't love Muslims. They just don't like them being scapegoated by Republicans, like they don't like seeing any minority group suffering the same treatment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies